FOH/CAB Patch help......

Apples-2-apples...

Well I took the AxeII on it's first live gig on the weekend...

Soundcheck, sound man running through line checks,.drums...keys,..other guitar player (using Marshall JMP-1 in 4cm with a GSP1101)..Boom!! sounds incredible, huge sound chalk full o' balls.....snickering to myself, just wait till it's my turn,....

I get the call, hit a chord, chug-chug a bit.....thin, way too bright,flat, blah.

Needless to say, I had the wind taken right out of my sails. The balls ,and girth I had running my GSP1101 in 4cm w/Peavey JSX, was no where to be found running direct to board.

Please understand this IS NOT an AXE-FX bash!!..I just haven't unlocked what's needed to make it sound as big as my counterpart.

I'm tempted to go back to the GSP setup with another gig this weekend, but I'd rather get this worked out.

Anyone see something I'm missing in the op patch? Too much distortion, wrong model? kill the presence on the amp stack?..I can't see those tweaks making it do a 180 turn tonally, but any and all input is always appreciated..

My only saving grace this past gig was the tonal bliss I had in my in-ears, it was killer. I just enjoyed that, with hopes our soundman made it decent FOH.

I have all the OwnHammer library as well, so maybe a cab change, or recomendation is a step in the right direction....

Many thanks in advance all,

Kyle.

Hey Kyle,

I'm not sure how feasible the following idea would be for you in terms of:

- getting loaded-in and setup (on-stage, up to FULL-VOLUME, and in your exact gear/stage-position)

AND

- early enough to have time-to-tweak IN REAL-TIME/ON-THE-SPOT!

My idea is: Why don't you literally bring your Digitech GSP1101 to your gig, and have it setup and ready-to-go (or within a patch-cable from active!) so that you can quickly and easily go back-and-forth between your old GSP1101-rig AND your cuurent/new Fractal Audio Systems Axe-FX II rig! Seriously, since your ear (and your band's/soundman's ear) are accustomed to your GSP1101 patches, then use THAT as your frame of reference. That way you can edit your Axe-FX II in "real-time" (or as close to it as possible...) until you hear that combination of amp-character, gain, and EQ which makes you (and your bandmates) your happiest - LOL! D'ya know what I mean?

The more I tweak MY OWN Axe-FX II rig, the more I realize that I MUST do my most critical-path editing/tweaking at the same stage-volumes, on the same stages, through the same F.O.H. systems and even after running a few tunes WITH MY BANDMATES so that the F.O.H.-Engineer/Mixer can make a valued assessment of how your guitar is sitting in-the-mix." *NOTE: If you have a consistent F.O.H.-soundman, the easier (more consistent) these assessments will be AND the more you'll be able to trust the results therein (IMO!)

*FWIW, I've found that my own perception of low-end and high-end changes COMPLETELY between low to medium-volume (20% - 40% stage-volume) versus full (100%) stage-volume. The highs & lows will seem MUCH MORE PRONOUNCED once you crank-it-up (IMO!)

Then (and only then,) will you be really getting close to your sonic-nirvana-goals!

Best-o-luck man, and lemme know how you make out and if any of this advice helps (as general as it is?!?)

Bill

Your advice makes total sense....

I've always,always dialed in at full volume in the past (which was through the same 4x12 since '87 lol!!)..the world of running direct live has only hit me maybe 6months ago (on/off, depending on venue) doing the 4cm w/JSX and the GSP1101..I feel like now I'm flying without a parachute, running the one box. Not to mention the shift in thinking too.

It's a bit of overload with so many parameters to adjust, but I know that will come with time. I tend to second guess myself on where exactly to tweak,.should I use the global and cut highs?..no..PEQ is better but, wait what about here?..no here!? and the cycle starts, hours pass and I've gotten nowhere.lol...

A straight up, proven high gain patch that works well direct to FOH to study would help immensely, but unfortunately I think the ONLY way for me to do it right otherwise, is book an afternoon,or day with our soundman, set up a P.A and tweak.

I'm going to go commit myself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom