FOH and onstage traditional cab set up for AX8

ghost219

Inspired
Has anyone done this yet? I'm interested in integrating an H9 with my incoming AX8 but it seems output 2 is the FX send. The Axe seems to have a separate fx loop as opposed to the AX8. Is that integration idea not possible if I use an H9 or does someone know of a clever work around? I'm not opposed to a W/D rig as long as the onstage cab is the dry side.

Thanks

Typically if you use I/O 2 as an FX Loop, you cannot also use it as an auxiliary output (Out 1 with cab sim, Out 2 without cab sim).

Some have figured it out with specific panning and routing, but it's not typical. I/O 2 is usually either an Aux out (or in), or an FX Loop.

You could send the XLR out 1 to the FOH and the 1/4" out 1 to the cab, freeing up the FX loop for the H9. But it appears you cannot then control the volume of each separately (assuming you need to do so)---according to the manual (p.11), both the XLR and the 1/4" outs "always output exactly the same signal," and there's only one knob for out 1 volume. Is there something internal that could accomplish as much or some other workaround?

You could send the XLR out 1 to the FOH and the 1/4" out 1 to the cab, freeing up the FX loop for the H9. But it appears you cannot then control the volume of each separately (assuming you need to do so)---according to the manual (p.11), both the XLR and the 1/4" outs "always output exactly the same signal," and there's only one knob for out 1 volume. Is there something internal that could accomplish as much or some other workaround?
That's not a bad idea... You could essentially control it with volume pedal/knob of some sort. Thing is, I wouldn't be able to turn the cab block off for one side of output 1. Points for effort, though ;)

Could you split after the amp but before the cab and send to output block, pan it to the right and use the right out for cabless signal, and use the left out to send cab plus post fx to FOH?

Could you split after the amp but before the cab and send to output block, pan it to the right and use the right out for cabless signal, and use the left out to send cab plus post fx to FOH?
I don't believe that's an option as output 1 is the same on L + R outputs on Line and XLR.

just use the volume of the power amp for the stage volume

I guess that might work as long as the Out 1 level necessary for the FOH isn't so high as to push the amp driving the onstage cab harder than you want.
What power amp would you be using that would need less input then what the board would send. most pa systems send there signal to power amps. most boards have mic pre's on the xlr channels so you should not have to send FOH any more signal then you need to drive a power amp.

What power amp would you be using that would need less input then what the board would send. most pa systems send there signal to power amps. most boards have mic pre's on the xlr channels so you should not have to send FOH any more signal then you need to drive a power amp.
Thing is, you shouldn't really need to drive the power amp much to begin with. As stated, the amp will have it's own volume BUT you'll want to send the maximum amount of level to your onstage cab.

youtube video explaining levels:

Back
Top Bottom