Focusrite 8I6

BigJim 5030

I bought a new Focusrite 8I6 and im hating it right now. I cant get it to work with my ax8 even with a spdif cord. theres two spdif conections on back of the scarlett and ive tried them both. whats the secret here. how have you guys routed yours to work. Im new at this and im frustrated!!

You'd want to use the 8i6 SPDIF input, not output. Make sure 8i6 sample rate = 48 kHz, clock source = SPDIF when monitoring the AX8 this way. The SPDIF input should be present as a stereo pair and not muted in the 8i6 monitor/mix software.

Alternatively you could connect Out 1 L/R to 8i6 line inputs and not worry about having to adjust any sample rate & clock source settings.

You'd want to use the 8i6 SPDIF input, not output. Make sure 8i6 sample rate = 48 kHz, clock source = SPDIF when monitoring the AX8 this way. The SPDIF input should be present as a stereo pair and not muted in the 8i6 monitor/mix software.

Alternatively you could connect Out 1 L/R to 8i6 line inputs and not worry about having to adjust any sample rate & clock source settings.
ok I just tried both of these options, using the spdif options for the internal clock turns the sinc light red and no sound. using the in/out from the ax8 still has no sound, any ideas would be apreciative

Are you monitoring within a DAW? Make sure that the “recording / project settings” are also set to 48KHz.
When you open up the Focusrite Control (mixer) application - can you see any audio signal on the meters? Remember that there are 2 sets of outputs for monitoring via the mixer a) Monitor / speakers (connections on rear of unit) and b) headphones - connections on front. These outputs can be set the same or different. Try setting them both to Hardware Input S/PDIF.

hey Exocet

thank for the info. I am using DAW and all the meters are showing signal. im just not
getting any sound through my scarlett. the only sound im getting is when I play the sounds in the Amplfy studion. ableton live and pro tools first. I can plug my guitar straight into the instrument line and ableton live will record it theres just no sound when I play it back. could you possibly take a screen shot of your Focusrite Control for me so I can see how you've routed it. this is crazy I know

This is how I have mine set with the FM3 using SPDIF. Should be the same for the AX8. Hopefully, this fixes the issue.

Input = Line - Line
OutPut = Monitor Outputs 1-2 / Custom mix / SPDIF 1 and 2 (individual selected not 1-2) / Analogue 1-2

Sample Rate 48 / Clock Source Internal

This is what I have for my AX8. I'm using spdif from the AX8 to the spdif input of the 8i6 3rd gen. To record in Reaper, I choose 48khz sample rate and the the spdif input in Reaper for each track I record. Works like a charm.

Attachments

• Recording.png
    Recording.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 11.33.32.png

Here's my setting. I'm using S/PDIF Digital out from AX8 into the Focusrite Box.

The typical "issue" is the Clock Source / Rate setting which has to be 48KHz and S/PDIF for AX8.

If you set this and then notice that it changes back to 44.1 - that normally means that your DAW is also set to 44.1 KHz. I Logic Pro, this is set in the recording project settings.

Start off with your DAW turned off - so that you only have AX8 sending signal to monitoring (Headphones or Speakers).

The above settings work for me i.e. guitar to AX8 to Focusrite via S/PDIF to Speakers or Headphones.

You say that you can see the meters move - I'm assuming that this "movement" is reflecting what you are playing and not some random "hash" that is registering on the display?

You could try recreating the "Output Routing" within the Focusrite Control application? Choose one the of templates from "File: Output Presets" menu option. The one that I was using is called "Digital".

Your Focusrite will have multiple channels - mine has 4. My AX8 appears on S/PDIF 1-2 within Focusrite - see how S/PDIF is stated on the Right Hand side of my screenshot under "Hardware Inputs". You can add / delete here - click on the "X" to delete and then on the "+" to add. When you add, you can select the S/PDIF channel number e.g. S/PDIF 1-2 for a stereo pair.

Once you get audio monitoring working without the DAW - you can move onto the DAW settings.

So for Logic - Project Recording settings need to be 48KHz

You also need to select the Input Source for the "Channel Strip". I'm not very competent with Logic Pro but here's what I've found - the Channel has to be set to Input Source "5-6" in order to get Audio through from the Focusrite....not sure why and I'm sure that it has changed over the time that I have been using it - pretty certain I was able to set Channel Source to "1-2" at some stage. Experiment with different Input Channel Sources.

Finally, once you get Audio through to your DAW - don't forget that you can choose what your Focusrite is sending out to the Monitors / Headphones. You do this in the Focusrite Control app, within the "Outputs" section (Left Hand Side of application). If you select Playback / DAW - this will take output from the DAW (quite often you'll have noticeable latency if you do this) - You can leave set to "Hardware Input" but if you need to "track" i.e. record a track whilst playing another track in DAW, you can set this to "Custom Mix" which gives you DAW plus AX8 at same time with no latency on the guitar.

Some other thoughts.

1. Reboot the Focusrite - I use mine with Apple iMac and have noticed that sometimes things "lock up" - everything looks right / meters move but no audio path through to DAW.

2. Check that the Focusrite Unit is listed and selected within the "Sound" settings within your O.S AND the DAW application as opposed to the default / built-in computer sound card option.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
View attachment 68706

Here's my setting. I'm using S/PDIF Digital out from AX8 into the Focusrite Box.

The typical "issue" is the Clock Source / Rate setting which has to be 48KHz and S/PDIF for AX8.

If you set this and then notice that it changes back to 44.1 - that normally means that your DAW is also set to 44.1 KHz. I Logic Pro, this is set in the recording project settings.

Start off with your DAW turned off - so that you only have AX8 sending signal to monitoring (Headphones or Speakers).

The above settings work for me i.e. guitar to AX8 to Focusrite via S/PDIF to Speakers or Headphones.

You say that you can see the meters move - I'm assuming that this "movement" is reflecting what you are playing and not some random "hash" that is registering on the display?

You could try recreating the "Output Routing" within the Focusrite Control application? Choose one the of templates from "File: Output Presets" menu option. The one that I was using is called "Digital".

Your Focusrite will have multiple channels - mine has 4. My AX8 appears on S/PDIF 1-2 within Focusrite - see how S/PDIF is stated on the Right Hand side of my screenshot under "Hardware Inputs". You can add / delete here - click on the "X" to delete and then on the "+" to add. When you add, you can select the S/PDIF channel number e.g. S/PDIF 1-2 for a stereo pair.

Once you get audio monitoring working without the DAW - you can move onto the DAW settings.

You also need to select the Input Source for the "Channel Strip". I'm not very competent with Logic Pro but here's what I've found - the Channel has to be set to Input Source "5-6" in order to get Audio through from the Focusrite....not sure why and I'm sure that it has changed over the time that I have been using it - pretty certain I was able to set Channel Source to "1-2" at some stage. Experiment with different Input Channel Sources.

Finally, once you get Audio through to your DAW - don't forget that you can choose what your Focusrite is sending out to the Monitors / Headphones. You do this in the Focusrite Control app, within the "Outputs" section (Left Hand Side of application). If you select Playback / DAW - this will take output from the DAW (quite often you'll have noticeable latency if you do this) - You can leave set to "Hardware Input" but if you need to "track" i.e. record a track whilst playing another track in DAW, you can set this to "Custom Mix" which gives you DAW plus AX8 at same time with no latency on the guitar.

Some other thoughts.
View attachment 68706

Some other thoughts.

1. Reboot the Focusrite - I use mine with Apple iMac and have noticed that sometimes things "lock up" - everything looks right / meters move but no audio path through to DAW.

2. Check that the Focusrite Unit is listed and selected within the "Sound" settings within your O.S AND the DAW application as opposed to the default / built-in computer sound card option.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Sir.

I do get some sound through the 8I6 now but the internal clock will not lock using S/PDIF.plus when I shut down it all goes back to default settings.

any help is greatly appreciated thank you

You need to set the Clock Source to External when connecting the AX8 via S/PDIF. The AX8 then becomes the Clock Source.

If you do this but still find that the settings keep changing, that would indicate that another clock source is present i.e. your DAW. What DAW are you using on your computer? Logic Pro, Ableton, Reaper ?

You need to set the Clock Source to External when connecting the AX8 via S/PDIF. The AX8 then becomes the Clock Source.

If you do this but still find that the settings keep changing, that would indicate that another clock source is present i.e. your DAW. What DAW are you using on your computer? Logic Pro, Ableton, Reaper ?

I reset the clock source today and now my ax8 through my scarlett. thank god. now its just a matter some cracking from my Mackie speakers.
I am trying to get ableton live set up now which is another critter altogether.

Back
Top Bottom