Focusrite 2i4 + Axe FX XL + = not working. Help.

Byte Music

Hey everyone,

I am a super newb at this whole process. I have a Scarlett 2i4, iMac, Event 20/20 bias monitors, and Axe FX II XL +. I can easily use the Axe Fx II by plugging in straight into iMac via USB. However, all of the computers playback is now on the iMac speakers. My questions is how do I set this shit up to where I can have all iMac playback and Axe Fx II playback BOTH going through monitors???

I can see that the Axe is receiving signal because every time I strum the guitar, the input lights flash. I am not seeing this on the Focusrite. Is there something I need to change in I/O settings on Axe Fx, iMac, Focusrite? What??

Plug the monitors into the AxeFx, connect the AxeFx to the Imac via USB, go to the sound preferences on the Mac and set the output to AxeFx. This is how I get computer sound and AxeFx sound through my monitors, you dont need the 2i4.

Plug the monitors into the AxeFx, connect the AxeFx to the Imac via USB, go to the sound preferences on the Mac and set the output to AxeFx. This is how I get computer sound and AxeFx sound through my monitors, you dont need the 2i4.

Okay. Is there anyway to use the 2i4 with it?

Sure there is
Connect the monitors to the 2i4 outputs
Connect the outputs of the Axefxxl to the 2i4 inputs (use both for stereo)
Connect the 2i4 usb to the Mac
Connect the Axefxxl usb to the Mac (you will need that for axeedit)
Choose the 2i4 as input and output in the sound control panel (choose 2i4 for sound effects too for alert sounds)
All sound now plays through the 2i4.
Next step... consider a DAW, LogicX from apple would be a fine choice.
There are other great choices... Then you could record, play back, etc. A bonus, the daw handles the sound routing for the session.

If it were me, I would go AXE direct to the Mac and avoid sending it through the focusrite at all. What you could do is connect both devices, create an aggregated pair of devices in your DAW. That way you get to use the axe without any unnecessary routing through another device and you get to use the 2i4 to record two more inputs.

Sure there is
Connect the monitors to the 2i4 outputs
Connect the outputs of the Axefxxl to the 2i4 inputs (use both for stereo)
Connect the 2i4 usb to the Mac
Connect the Axefxxl usb to the Mac (you will need that for axeedit)
Choose the 2i4 as input and output in the sound control panel (choose 2i4 for sound effects too for alert sounds)
All sound now plays through the 2i4.
Next step... consider a DAW, LogicX from apple would be a fine choice.
There are other great choices... Then you could record, play back, etc. A bonus, the daw handles the sound routing for the session.

Okay. So, after that...what about I/O settings? Anything in particular?

He said so. "Choose the 2i4 as input and output in the sound control panel (choose 2i4 for sound effects too for alert sounds)" On the Mac.

You might browse youtube for a pile of videos on how to connect these things. It's always best if you understand everything going on so when it breaks (and it will), you'll actually know how to fix it. Worth a google to find out more about the 2i4 (probably more important) where you can find out how to properly set up audio inputs/outputs (which is all this is...)

Back
Top Bottom