Focusrite 18i20 I/O sound quality

stink

Experienced
Hopefully I’m posting this in the correct forum. So I recently upgraded from an AxeFX IIXL+ to the III. One thing that bugged me about using the XL+ as a centerpiece for the sound card for the DAW (Reaper) was that I couldn’t control the playback volume properly of either the previously recorded tracks to newly recorded ones. I solved the issue by getting a Focusrite 18i20, which worked out great. But one thing I notice, by switching back and forth between the Focusrite and the Axe III, the sound quality of the Focusrite doesn’t sound as clear nor as defined as it does if using the Axe III solo. I tried this by plugging the monitors directly into the Axe III vs. the Focusrite OUTS. It just doesn’t sound as pristine.

I have it configured as such:

Axe III to Focusrite via S/PDIF I/O AND Axe III OUT1 to Focusrite channels inputs 3/4 (so I can record the dry signal, wet signal, and the re-amp signal simultaneously).

Axe III USB to PC, Focusrite USB to PC

Focusrite OUTPUTS to a pair of Event Opals

I’m using the mix software provided by Focusrite and it does work properly

Anyone else experience this? If so and the situation is rectified, what was the fix?

Edit: @chris any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm sure they may have got better but Focusrite is an ok converter.
I'm sure Focusrite users will contest.
Have you tried going into the Focusrite
Analog?

Yes. The sound quality seems the same whether going full analog or S/PDIF. Recording dry and/or the re-amping signal is OK but when using the AxeFX III reverbs, delays. etc., the depth and clarity goes to hell. I suspect the preamps and converters just plain old suck.

Last edited:
Its interesting... i feel the same (using analog to Focusrite). When I first got my III I plugged it straight into my monitors and was really blown away... since then i have gone back into my Focusrite setup because of similar recording / workflow benefits... but I don't think it sounds as good.

Universal Audio is a great converter.
I have Apogee Symphony myself and I run my AX3 analog into it and it sounds stallar .

Its interesting... i feel the same (using analog to Focusrite). When I first got my III I plugged it straight into my monitors and was really blown away... since then i have gone back into my Focusrite setup because of similar recording / workflow benefits... but I don't think it sounds as good.

I fully agree. At first I just thought it was a placebo effect but since I have, what I believe, are really good monitors, it clearly isn't imagined. I thought the Focusrite may be a descent I/O by looking at the specs and reading a lot of the user reviews but I just can't get past the "dull" sound it installs in the recording process.

I was hoping to get by without spending another metric ton of cash but I suspect it's either deal with it or pony up the extra $$$. :(

Universal Audio is a great converter.
I have Apogee Symphony myself and I run my AX3 analog into it and it sounds stallar .

Yeah, I'm sure it does but that means coughing up another $3k. I know you get what you pay for but man, that Focusrite sounds terrible - to me anyway YMMV

A used Apogee Rosetta 800 is a great set of converters. There's definitely options if your willing to do your homework

I have a UA Apollo twin. It sounds GREAT. I added an 8 channel mic pre via adat and both my axe fx 2 and m3 sound like poo in comparison. I did a test recording to verify and sure enough. My 8 channel mic pre is widely regarded as clean and transparent. it's an audient ASP008.

I’m using the mix software provided by Focusrite and it does work properly

I assume you're not using this when comparing the two right?
In other words, not using it on the Axe but using it on the Focusrite for comparison purposes.

I assume you're not using this when comparing the two right?
In other words, not using it on the Axe but using it on the Focusrite for comparison purposes.
Correct. The Focusrite software is ONLY used to setup routing with the 18i20 (actually you have no choice, you must use the routing SW). The comparison is Axe III straight into Reaper vs Axe III into Focusrite then into Reaper. There most certainly is a signal degradation.

If I understand you correctly, I use the “level” knob in the AMP block to control the volume going to my tracks. I’m also only using the USB cable to my computer.

I sold my focusrite interface and got the Zen Tour. I was really happy with and then I got my Axe 3, found that I wasn't using the focusrite, then sold the Zen Tour :p

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/zen-tour/

Geese, I gotta stop posting from my phone. That got all crapped up, lol. Let me try this again:

Sold the focusrite for the zen tour. Got the Axe, sold the zen tour. Still though, the zen tour was a top notch interface. Hope that makes sense and my apologies for the jumbled up mess.

Geese, I gotta stop posting from my phone. That got all crapped up, lol. Let me try this again:

Sold the focusrite for the zen tour. Got the Axe, sold the zen tour. Still though, the zen tour was a top notch interface. Hope that makes sense and my apologies for the jumbled up mess.
Yeah but the "level" knob in the amp affects recording levels too. I haven't been able to both keep the recording level where I want it and the volume simultaneously when using only the Axe IIXL+ or the III. The interface allows you to balance playback/overdubs much better IMHO

Yeah but the "level" knob in the amp affects recording levels too. I haven't been able to both keep the recording level where I want it and the volume simultaneously when using only the Axe IIXL+ or the III. The interface allows you to balance playback/overdubs much better IMHO

I don’t seem to have that issue. If my tracks are all balanced like I like them, I can control playback volume with either the master fader in my DAW or the physical Output 1 knob on the Axe Fx. Then control recording level with the amp block’s level knob. I like hot signal (not clipping but, close)when recording guitars. I also have a limiter setup on my master fader which helps control playback. The end mix will have a limiter, might as well throw it on there to see where I am at, right?

Just curious, what style of music are you tracking most of the time?

I don’t seem to have that issue. If my tracks are all balanced like I like them, I can control playback volume with either the master fader in my DAW or the physical Output 1 knob on the Axe Fx. Then control recording level with the amp block’s level knob. I like hot signal (not clipping but, close)when recording guitars. I also have a limiter setup on my master fader which helps control playback. The end mix will have a limiter, might as well throw it on there to see where I am at, right?

Just curious, what style of music are you tracking most of the time?
Maybe I wasn’t clear, I want the recording level fairly hot (-6) but I don’t want to hear it loud in comparison to the other tracks when overdubbing. By using the interface I’m able to control this easily, the problem is that the interface sucks tone out of the signal. Like I mentioned in my OP, when using the Axe III (or previous renditions) as THE sound card, I can’t balance the sound how I like it during playback. If I physically use the OUT 1 knob for overall sound, it raises or lowers ALL tracks the same. Same with using master faders in Reaper. Am I missing something?

BTW, this is how I have it configured (minus the separate controller to the main monitors. Mine are connected to the Focusrite) https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...n-to-rme-fireface-ufx-ii.142411/#post-1703165

To answer your question about type of music, it’s generally hard rock, with the occasional acoustic or melodic stuff thrown in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom