Focal Shape 65 vs Adam A7X

And here's my evaluation, after using the monitors both for listening to music and with the Axe-Fx.

What impressed me the most. The cleanliness and detail in all sound ranges. While the HS7s lacked a bit in the low end and the A7Xs made up for that, the S65s (Shape 65) are more balanced. Here the low frequencies are more detailed, defined. I can hear the notes of bass lines better on Neo Soul or R&B tracks where the A7Xs became more muddled. Let's be clear, "more definition" doesn't mean the bass is any less present, in fact, it's more immediate. It means they are more accurate, more defined, more precise, in short it's like comparing an HD TV with a 4K TV if you allow me the trivial comparison. The S65 is 4K. Maybe because the A7X have the Sub in class-D while the F65 in class-A/B? I don't know.

Listening experience. The A7Xs sound great with rock, metal and related music. Maybe that's why they are used a lot also by the users of this forum. The problem is that when you move on to different genres that use different frequency ranges, the A7X start not to satisfy 100%. For Neo Soul, POP, R&B, but also classical the definition was lost a bit, I was never, how to say "wow". The S65 proved to be tremendously versatile and even less "attentive" ears (wife and daughter) immediately noticed the difference. I could hear well, they wouldn't let me turn off the music, and we kept it on while listening to different genres together for an entire afternoon. And that made me happy too :)

Additional versatility. The controls on the back of the S65s are much better than those on the A7Xs. First of all, they are easier to use. On the A7X I needed a screwdriver, while on the F65 there are just regular knobs. Second, they are more comprehensive, allowing you to operate the midrange frequencies as well. Surely Adam noticed this lack and in fact the new A series, from what I see, will have midrange controls, but not with knobs, it looks like a 3 position selector switch, and that's not a good premise for versatility. Plus, the "desk", that is a midrange, seems Only to go -Xdb, while the S65 can go +/-3db. But this is just speculation...

View attachment 99273View attachment 99274

Also, the listening position with the S65s is wider. Whereas with the A7X's I had to be in a certain area to hear well, the S65's have a wider listening position...in fact, we used them, as I wrote, in the family to listen to music as well and it really felt great.

In use with the Axe-Fx. Here the differences are less obvious, in the frequency range of the guitar and my presets on the Axe-Fx the two speakers are equivalent. The differences can be heard, however, on the effects. Reverbs and all room effects sound, shall we say, more 3D on the S65. They sound more natural, spacious, enveloping, while the A7Xs sound flatter, straight in your face. With the exception of this the two are equivalent.

Design. What can I say, on the design front there is no comparison. The S65's are gorgeous, with their wooden case, in comparison the A7X's look like an old toy of the futuristic-vintage type. The S65s have a classic, more elegant, timeless design. They look good in the studio, but would also look good in the living room. Of course, less important aspect, but at this price even design must have its part.

Investment. Here in EU the A7X cost 500€, while the S65 cost 600€ with 100€ difference I must say that there is nothing to think about. The S65 are the monitors to buy especially if: you listen/play many different music genres and if you have complex acoustic spaces, for shapes or dimensions. They are, FOR ME, the most versatile and the best performing.

Final thoughts: marketing strategies? While the HS7s are the most widely used, certainly in part due to their price point and the notoriety of their predecessors, the Adam A7Xs have had a significant marketing push. Lots of people have reviewed them on YouTube, lots of artists have promoted them online, lots of sites have given them awards, but then...after a few years, how many still use them (only Pete Thorn, maybe)? Another dilemma, the A7X were withdrawn from the market because the components were missing, now, if the components that made these A7X "special" are missing, with what components will they make the new A series? Will they be less good, but still supported by a fierce marketing? I don't know, but if I also think about the fact that Adam is part of Focusrite, surely the funds for all this will not lack and we will hear a lot about them...and maybe I will take them to try them out! :p What I can say right now is that they are a bit over-hyped honestly.

Until then, I'm a new and happy owner of the Focal Shape 65s.

View attachment 99277
The sealed cabinet with passive radiators make them shine, IMO. Tight bass with no flub. Congrats on the addition to your setup.

The manual states that you are supposed to "avoid pushing the speakers very hard during the first hours of use."

Any idea what that means in practical terms? I have kept the volume down to the 80 dB range so far.
I kept mine at more or less 90 dB for more than 20 hours in more or less 3 (or 4) days.
I used different kind of music, but with lots of low frequencies as suggested in the manual.

I kept mine at more or less 90 dB for more than 20 hours in more or less 3 (or 4) days.
I used different kind of music, but with lots of low frequencies as suggested in the manual.
Thanks! Did you hear a qualitative difference after the burn-in period?

Thanks! Did you hear a qualitative difference after the burn-in period?
Yes, the sound opened up more.

Now I can almost recreate it by putting on the grilles that come with the Focal Shape.

Let's be clear, it's not a huge change, the characteristics of the monitors are pretty much the same before and after, but something certainly does change and that's why I waited a bit to do my review.

So I got the Focal Shape 65’s a few weeks back and WHOA ! What an upgrade from the Equator D5’s (of course) and I’m stunned at how good my AxeFx III sounds. I mean it sounded great with the Equators but with the Focals ? Holy crap !

One strange thing though. One of the monitors never goes into the automatic shutoff mode and the same monitor literally doesn’t seem as loud as the other with the exact same settings. Yes, I know I can compensate a bit with the controls on the back but that and the fact that the auto shutoff never happens I wonder if I need to be contacting Focal for a warrantee issue.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
So I got the Focal Shape 65’s a few weeks back and WHOA ! What an upgrade from the Equator D5’s (of course) and I’m stunned at how good my AxeFx III sounds. I mean it sounded great with the Equators but with the Focals ? Holy crap !

One strange thing though. One of the monitors never goes into the automatic shutoff mode and the same monitor literally doesn’t seem as loud as the other with the exact same settings. Yes, I know I can compensate a bit with the controls on the back but that and the fact that the auto shutoff never happens I wonder if I need to be contacting Focal for a warrantee issue.

Thoughts ?
I got a set of Shape 50s recently and Focal support was quick to reply to a question.

I'd definitely contact Focal about that issue so they can help you out.

Thoughts ?
There is a switch inside that activate/deactivate the auto-standby.
It is something you can do yourself, but I'm not sure if this will void the warranty, so contact Focal first.

Here is a picture of the switch (I got the picture from another forum where a guy reported the same problem you have).

Shape 2.jpg

There is a switch inside that activate/deactivate the auto-standby.
It is something you can do yourself, but I'm not sure if this will void the warranty, so contact Focal first.

Here is a picture of the switch (I got the picture from another forum where a guy reported the same problem you have).

View attachment 101274
Thank you ! I’ll ping Focal first so as to avoid any warrantee issues.

I am currently looking for new monitors.
Right now I'm using KS digital C8 Reference. These are fantastic monitors.
But like the ADAMS A series or similar monitors, there is one thing I don't like.
The DSP chip. Not only does the AD/DA conversion add latency, but so does the filtering.

Whenever I play my AXE III, FM9 or FM3 through these speakers, it doesn't feel right. Mind you, in between the signal goes through an RME UFX+).
So I use my ELIS 8 when I play in the guitar.

A few months ago I swapped out the UA Apollo for an RME UFX+. That was a big step to reduce latency in the whole signal chain.
But the AD/DA conversion in the RME is still there. And now I've found that my monitors add an additional 5ms of latency.

Yesterday I did a test with Focal Twin 6's connected directly to my AXE FX3. What a difference.
The Focals don't use any DSP.
So I asked a friend of mine - an experienced sound engineer - what brand he would recommend.
He said there was only one brand that met his needs.
PSI Audio.

Handmade in Switzerland. Completely analog filtered.

So I ordered the PSI Audio A17, A21 and A25 to test.
I'm really curious how this will turn out ;-)
The A25s are probably a bit overkill. First of all, they are rather midfield monitors and way to expensive. But I was curious. I hope the A17s are adequate. They are the cheapest of all, but still more expensive than an AXE FX III.

Reactions: FSM
5 ms is a lot of latency to have as a baseline on top of everything. I can see why that would be a problem for live monitoring when you add it to the latency of your interface. With playback it would be less of a concern.

Those PSI monitors are pricey. Hopefully their performance is commensurate with the bill.

Back
Top Bottom