Wish FM9 Wishlist

Meat Head

I don't see a wishlist yet but I can see one thing right away that will be a problem for me. Coming from the FM3 with an FC 6, my eyes are always drawn to the screen of the FC6 at a gig when I want to see what patch I'm on, due to the larger type and ease of finding it without having to squint or bend over.

Surely there's a way to provide an option for a larger typeface Patch number and Patch Name Banner across the 9s screeen for those of us with less than perfect vision. At least double what it is now, if not 250 or 300%. The current type on the FM3 unit is basically unreadable when I'm standing at a gig.

I don't see a wishlist yet but I can see one thing right away that will be a problem for me. Coming from the FM3 with an FC 6, my eyes are always drawn to the screen of the FC6 at a gig when I want to see what patch I'm on, due to the larger type and ease of finding it without having to squint or bend over.

Surely there's a way to provide an option for a larger typeface Patch number and Patch Name Banner across the 9s screeen for those of us with less than perfect vision. At least double what it is now, if not 250 or 300%. The current type on the FM3 unit is basically unreadable when I'm standing at a gig.
I made a request on a zoom feature for the main LCD a while back. Hopefully they will implement something similar soon:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/list-display-zoom.160772/

Don't even have it yet and already gots issues with it. Makes me feel like this thread
is just egging for a short and terse one or two word response from Cliff himself. ;)
I don't see it as an unreasonable request....Cliff and Co. are generally pretty very open to good suggestions once it's not something ridiculous like 'I need 2048 more IR slots to the FM9! '

I don't see it as an unreasonable request....Cliff and Co. are generally pretty very open to good suggestions once it's not something ridiculous like 'I need 2048 more IR slots to the FM9! '
Well now that you mention it... ;)

Kidding!

In my eyes all FM3 issues have been adressed with the Fm9 but one. The number of user presets. This is the reason why I will not buy it hoping for a mk2 coming soon.

"mk2 coming soon" is not a realistic wish.
Soon means 1-2 years. I bought the Fm3 just a view months ago with a FC-12. I am happy with it so far. Just more CPU power and more user presets would be a progress in my situation. Therefore it is just worthwhile for me to buy a new device if it offers both improvements. The price difference from the FM3 to the AxeFx is too high just for this.

These kinds of threads reminds me of those stellar Gear Page threads where guys are
asking for pickup recommendations on a guitar that they have not received yet, heard yet,
or played yet.

But I am the odd the one. ;)

I would love if Fractal could implement on the FM9 what they did with the big screen song titles on the FX8 and the AX8 with the adjustable display time, some of us just need to have big song titles on the menu when scrolling thru songs in a live performance. I had a friends FM3 for testing a couple of months ago and one of the things I hated about the unit was the tiny letters for the presets, really I could barely see the preset names when scrolling thru patches. I know the idea is to see all the info on the display, all the scenes and stuff, but I think it's a feature some of us really need. I thought that option came with the FM3 as well but as far as I know, it doesn't, am I right?

Last edited:
I get why people are saying “omg it’s not even out yet.”

But I also get that the request could just as easily apply to the FM3 (and even the AxeFX, though folks aren’t typically looking at it like they would a pedal). As such, I think it’s quite valid. So…

+1

:)

I get the need for customer feedback, and how vital it is. :)

Maybe this is indicative of my own thin skin overreacting here, but if it were me and
I worked hard to grant people a new product (or service), and it got picked apart before
they even had it in their hands I'd be less than generous with them.

Fortunately, for everyone in this thread, it is not me. :)

Thankfully, I'm pretty certain the folks at Fractal aren't as thin-skinned as you. It's just a request for them to look at an aspect of their product that, clearly, a lot of other people also find to be an issue. This helps them improve their product and hopefully to get even more market share. What you read as picking apart, was me simply trying to explain the problem I experience in using their product. There was no mal-intent behind it in any way.

I get the need for customer feedback, and how vital it is. :)

Maybe this is indicative of my own thin skin overreacting here, but if it were me and
I worked hard to grant people a new product (or service), and it got picked apart before
they even had it in their hands I'd be less than generous with them.

Fortunately, for everyone in this thread, it is not me. :)

Thing is, it’s not even about the FM9. It’s about the entire family, at the very least going back to the FM3. So if your skin was thin enough that feedback about a product a couple a years old woukd bother you…well…yeah. :)

Thankfully, I'm pretty certain the folks at Fractal aren't as thin-skinned as you. It's just a request for them to look at an aspect of their product that, clearly, a lot of other people also find to be an issue. This helps them improve their product and hopefully to get even more market share. What you read as picking apart, was me simply trying to explain the problem I experience in using their product. There was no mal-intent behind it in any way.
I know you initially referenced the FM9 but as I mentioned above what you’re asking for applies just as well to the FM3—not everyone uses an FC6.

They already do a text change on the FCs for things like "Control Switch 1 On" and similar when it occurs, so some form of event handling is there to listen for events and respond by putting the text up on screen for the user-chosen amount of time (mine's set to 3 seconds).
Seems like (from the armchair developer's POV) the only bit missing is to have it happen on the hardware screen and maybe a listener for preset change. Given that many will be using the FM9 without an FC, this is an entirely reasonable accommodation for those among us who are venturing off into Mr. Magoo territory....

It would be different if it was a completely new product, but it's not, and it's designed to fit between 2 other existing products, bringing features from both of those into this one, which is a big reason people want it. So, since we pretty much already know what it is and what it can do, and why it was built in the first place, I can see why you'd want to start a wish list right away. This is the perfect product for a lot of people, and very close for others, so the sooner they let FAS know what other things are desired, the sooner they can get them, or get told to go pound sand, whichever the case may be. ;)

I'm just surprised they didn't include a big screen like the FC's have, since it's obviously designed so you won't need one.

Back
Top Bottom