Wish Larger font

I'm a fairly long-time Helix user coming to Fractal and I'm loving the features and sound of this FM9. It really is stellar. However, there are definitely usability or user conventions that I'm having to get used to. For the most part, I can envision different ways to do things that get me the results I want. However....

I might be out to lunch here but I'm not seeing a way to do the following - which are features I'd like to see:

1. For switches that are configured to enable/bypass effects, to have the mini-display show the name of the actual effect that is configured for that channel and block. So, for instance, instead of just showing the type of block that it's activating - such as "Drive 1" - the mini-display should show "T808" or "Zen Master"...or whatever effect you've configured and will be activated when you press the button. Or, allow you to customize the name that is shown in the mini-display for each switch....and that adapts based on each channel or scene that you've configured in the preset

2. I might be doing something wrong but....I've got a couple of switches set with both a short and long press action where, for example, the short press enables a Chorus and the long press enables a Phaser. The issue I'm seeing is that the indicator light only comes on when using the short press. If I use the long press, the Phaser effect is enabled but the indicator light does not come on. Furthermore...the mini-display only shows me the info for the block that relates to the short press (IE Chorus 1). And there is no persistent indicator anywhere - other than my ears - to indicate that the effect on the long-press has been enabled. I'm not seeing a way to get around this.

1. For switches that are configured to enable/bypass effects, to have the mini-display show the name of the actual effect that is configured for that channel and block. So, for instance, instead of just showing the type of block that it's activating - such as "Drive 1" - the mini-display should show "T808" or "Zen Master"...or whatever effect you've configured and will be activated when you press the button. Or, allow you to customize the name that is shown in the mini-display for each switch....and that adapts based on each channel or scene that you've configured in the preset
No way to do it... It's been wished for.
2. I might be doing something wrong but....I've got a couple of switches set with both a short and long press action where, for example, the short press enables a Chorus and the long press enables a Phaser. The issue I'm seeing is that the indicator light only comes on when using the short press. If I use the long press, the Phaser effect is enabled but the indicator light does not come on. Furthermore...the mini-display only shows me the info for the block that relates to the short press (IE Chorus 1). And there is no persistent indicator anywhere - other than my ears - to indicate that the effect on the long-press has been enabled. I'm not seeing a way to get around this.
The switch LEDs only ever display information about the tap function...

The original post topic #5 is about the length of time the "message" box that displays on the main display after certain button presses. It's not about the mini displays...

I don't know when the option was added - I discovered by accident while looking for something else on my FM9.

The same option is there for the FM3 according to the manual.
(Edit: not sure why I was thinking this was an FM3 question. Applies the same for both)

View attachment 111653

Gotcha. Yes...that is very good. Thanks!! I did check out the FC Edit screen and, tbh, I'll have to read through the manual as I don't know what some of those options refer to. Still learning!!!!

No way to do it... It's been wished for.

The switch LEDs only ever display information about the tap function...

Okay good to know. That will save me a couple of hours of fruitless reading. lol. Cheers.

Also...yeah. "Tap" and "Hold". Gotta learn the terminology!! :)

I'm a fairly long-time Helix user coming to Fractal and I'm loving the features and sound of this FM9. It really is stellar. However, there are definitely usability or user conventions that I'm having to get used to. For the most part, I can envision different ways to do things that get me the results I want. However....

I might be out to lunch here but I'm not seeing a way to do the following - which are features I'd like to see:

I found a way to do what I wanted for a different variation of #2. That is, where I want to have one switch to toggle between different channels of the same block - as opposed to switching between different blocks like Chorus and Phaser. Assigning Channel Select to the Hold function and then setting 2nd Press to Previous Channel I can toggle between two channels of the same block and then the Tap function enables/bypasses the effect which causes the light to go on and off. So that allows toggling between say, a 1/8 and dotted 1/8 delay, or between Bias and Harmonic Tremolo on a single switch. So that's cool.

1669337658587.png

You can do this using per-preset switches. You can set a custom name for your per-preset switch, then have that override the default effect. It's not automatic, but it's not much work.

You can do this using per-preset switches. You can set a custom name for your per-preset switch, then have that override the default effect. It's not automatic, but it's not much work.
That's fine for a single channel, but not for switches that change channels:
and that adapts based on each channel or scene that you've configured in the preset

That's fine for a single channel, but not for switches that change channels:
Thanks guys!! I appreciate the assistance. Yeah..I was thinking that a way around this would just be to use separate pre-sets and just switch between pre-sets rather than make use scenes to switch between channels. That way I could get my custom labels. It could be done but it also introduces other limitations that might be more problematic and would also be harder to work with in the editor.

That said...I am pretty fascinated by the Per-Preset switch options and all the ways you can configure any particular switch to do 2 different things. Despite some unfortunate limitations, the interface flexibility is pretty astounding. I find myself being almost more fascinated with that than with the fact that the sounds are so stellar! I'm only a storage guy...not a UNIX guy....but these kinds of configuration options are very cool ;)

Is this "the official" wishlist for future FM9 updates?

I'm also coming from Helix to FM9. Many things are better, but the speed of editing an effect on the fly is so much better on the Helix. One way FM9 could enter the arena would be, to adopt the way Helix reacts: "Press a footswitch, and then the effect unit that are toggled on, also show up in the display" - that way I can easily adjust parameters on the effect I'm working with.

Right now I have to go into Layout -> navigate to the effect with many press -> Edit -> then begin edit...

So a possibility to choose a setup, that reacts two ways ad once when I stomp on a footswitch: Turn effect on/off + Show Basic site of the corresponding effect. That would make my life much easier :)

All the best
Jens :)

Is this "the official" wishlist for future FM9 updates?

I'm also coming from Helix to FM9. Many things are better, but the speed of editing an effect on the fly is so much better on the Helix.
Have you tried the "EZ Mode" in Edit? Look in FC Edit > EZ Mode. It's available on the front panel too.

One way FM9 could enter the arena would be, to adopt the way Helix reacts: "Press a footswitch, and then the effect unit that are toggled on, also show up in the display" - that way I can easily adjust parameters on the effect I'm working with.
"enter the arena"? Revisit that comment in six months because currently you're not very experienced with the power of the Fractal UI and hardware; It'll rapidly grow on you.

Right now I have to go into Layout -> navigate to the effect with many press -> Edit -> then begin edit...

So a possibility to choose a setup, that reacts two ways ad once when I stomp on a footswitch: Turn effect on/off + Show Basic site of the corresponding effect. That would make my life much easier :)
Fractal supports Tap and Hold functions on the switches, which can be separately defined. There is also a mode that reveals the hold assignments for switches. In addition, using Layout Links, we can trigger post-press actions to switch to different layouts, making it easy to fire an action, then chain a second action, like "select a preset then change to the scenes layout", which is a common tweak people make.

@chris does a nice job explaining the EZ Mode but watch the entire video as he gives good tutorial…

Last edited:
Have you tried the "EZ Mode" in Edit? Look in FC Edit > EZ Mode. It's available on the front panel too.

Hi Greg - thanks for your reply.

EZ mode - doesn't do what I call for as I see it in your Link.

I want to hear on/off the effect unit, that is activated by the footswitch I pres, and at the same see it o the display so I can edit. I don't want to assign something new/more to footswitches.

Jens :)

Fractal supports Tap and Hold functions on the switches, which can be separately defined. There is also a mode that reveals the hold assignments for switches. In addition, using Layout Links, we can trigger post-press actions to switch to different layouts, making it easy to fire an action, then chain a second action, like "select a preset then change to the scenes layout", which is a common tweak people make.
He wants pressing the switch to not only activate the block but navigate into the block settings for editing.

Personally, I would have no desire for this capability...

Improvements in both contrast and resolution would enhance the readability of the mini displays. And would almost certainly raise the price. It might require a new product altogether. But yeah, I would love to see the mini displays at par with the main display.

By the way, I thought you were dead.

View attachment 111525
LCDs are not expensive at all. What would be fantastic are small paper e-paper displays with lighting similar to a Kindle paperwhite. In bright light they look like paper, no issues reading at all, in the dark the side lighting would make them just as readable as backlit lcds or OLEDs and since modern e-paper displays have almost the same contrast as black ink on paper all of the weaknesses of both LCD and OLED technology are gone. E-paper can even be inverted to white text on black.

I recently changed my helix for an FM9 and I am very happy, my only wish would be a cab manager, like the one in line6 and quad cortex, they are more pleasant to use than looking for an IR in a list. In quad cortex the cab manager allows you to switch between microphones or distances easily without getting lost in a list.

Back
Top Bottom