FM9 vs AX8

The FM9 sounds really like a nice product. Still the AX8 does everything I need in a live situation and the sound and feel is also great.
Besides the additional FX and perhaps the second amp block, I do not see any reason to upgrade. However as I only use the floor units live and during practice sessions with my band, these extras are not needed badly.
For recording and studio work I have my Axe-FX 3 which gives me everything I need.

Only small issue here is the "lesser" value of the AX8 on the market if I ever want to sell it. But as this is not happening any time soon, I am happy with my AX8.

Yes I’m using the Ax8 live and notice a significant improvement with the FM3 in the studio. waiting for the next batch of fm9’s from Santa then sell the Ax8, then use the FM3 live and FM9 in the studio.

I guess the ax8 with stock ir;s compared to fm9/axe III differs in sound and feel. But with some better Ir;s like York audio it would be interesting to hear how big the difference would be. I think a lot of the sound comes from the Ir;s.

I use some newer York IR’s in both units, the FM3 has a noticeable improvement. The Ax8 is great, nothing wrong with it. One thing I do dislike was dialing in with the editor, having the pause constantly. The FM3 doesn’t do this, it’s very fast for editing.

I use some newer York IR’s in both units, the FM3 has a noticeable improvement. The Ax8 is great, nothing wrong with it. One thing I do dislike was dialing in with the editor, having the pause constantly. The FM3 doesn’t do this, it’s very fast for editing.

Are you on about "pause communication"?

Pretty sure you can turn that off IIRC

I think when u click foot switch’s there’s always the pause. I haven’t looked further. Wasn’t till I had the FM3 I even noticed, I don’t remember axeII n the standard. Was trying to compare some delay n rev settings instead of just converting the preset.
On the FM9 wait list, so won’t matter soon. For live, I’m not sure anyone would know, in the studio I can hear the magic sauce.

I'm on the edge of a knife, I love my AX8, but does the Cygnus sound and amenities of the FM9 worth the jump?

I never bought the FM3, but I saw that now you can side chain the gate with the input, like the Decimator G-String or TC Electronic Sentry, am I right or just was a dream? This could be so useful in 4CM.

Plus the CPU power, dual amp (I never needed it), dual cab, high quality reverb, all of that is nice, but my point is: Do I really need all of that?

I don't know, it could be the GAS on me. LOL

Any clue of the resell value of the AX8 in today's market?

Last edited:
I'm on the edge of a knife, I love my AX8, but does the Cygnus sound and amenities of the FM9 worth the jump?

I never bought the FM3, but I saw that now you can side chain the gate with the input, like the Decimator G-String or TC Electronic Sentry, am I right or just was a dream? This could be so useful in 4CM.

Plus the CPU power, dual amp (I never needed it), dual cab, high quality reverb, all of that is nice, but my point is: Do I really need all of that?

I don't know, it could be the GAS on me. LOL

Any clue of the resell value of the AX8 in today's market?

Reverb trending is $1k to $1200CAD

I love my AX8, but does the Cygnus sound and amenities of the FM9 worth the jump?
1,000% absolutely! I loved the tones I got from the AX8 but the strides made in Ares and now the jump to Cygnus has really separated the two platforms. The AX8 doesn't sound any worse, it will always sound great. It's just that Cygnus has taken amp modelling to another level in feel and response.

If you're happy with the AX8, you really won't be missing anything if you stick with it. If you try the FM9 (or FM3, Axe Fx III) then all bets are off.

Back
Top Bottom