FM9 USB No Longer Working /w10

DaveO

Fractal Fanatic
So my windows 10 PC connected to my FM9 no longer works, I'm guessing because of a recent security updates from MS, I can hear windows audio sounds through my usb port to FM9 however can not get a FM9 connection in the FM9 Edit even though I have reinstalled the FM9 edit and driver application. I find it odd because these drivers have been reliable for years. I also find it interesting I'm the first post on its dysfunction, I welcome any troubleshooting suggestions over the holidays.
be great to know why my usb is not working right,

1656831126295.png

@DaveO

Wondering if this might be specific to you particular setup/system. I am running the latest Windows 10 updates including a large one about a week ago that made major changes to the OS and I am not seeing this behavior on my FM9. Have you done all the obvious things like trying a different USB cable, trying a different USB port on your computer, trying a different computer like a spare laptop, etc.? I know I had problems with the connector on the back of my FM3 that had to be replaced by Fractal. Are you sure the USB connections on the back of the FM9 are solid? Just some quick things off the top of my head that you might check if you have not already.

Last edited:
Concur. Upgrade your USB cable to something more recent. OS upgrades may cause outdated hardware to become non-functioning. Other than that, check your port connections, and try swapping your computer port connection if possible. Also, shut down/restart your computer (the standard remedy for most all OS issues). This may help. Not a tech, just aware of how tech support might field your call...

So appreciate the responses, I wanted to update this incase anyone has a similar problem, It turns out that for some unknown reason the FM9 edit had lost its communication and I was able reestablish it in preferences, originally when I first started FM9 edit and went to preferences both input and output were populated in the pull down field however they were greyed out and not active, I just reselected the pull downs for each one and communication was restored. I probably didn't even need to reinstall software and drivers I'm guessing.

1657144662317.png

So appreciate the responses, I wanted to update this incase anyone has a similar problem, It turns out that for some unknown reason the FM9 edit had lost its communication and I was able reestablish it in preferences, originally when I first started FM9 edit and went to preferences both input and output were populated in the pull down field however they were greyed out and not active, I just reselected the pull downs for each one and communication was restored. I probably didn't even need to reinstall software and drivers I'm guessing.

View attachment 104549
I'm glad it's working.

You've discovered the manual method. Always worth trying before more radical measures such as reinstalling.

I'm glad it's working.

You've discovered the manual method. Always worth trying before more radical measures such as reinstalling.
I had my FM3 for 2 years and my FM9 since last November, never had the connection issue before where the audio driver worked under windows sounds but not in Edit and my DAW my suspicion still is windows updates, however if no one else has experienced this then...

I had my FM3 for 2 years and my FM9 since last November, never had the connection issue before where the audio driver worked under windows sounds but not in Edit and my DAW my suspicion still is windows updates, however if no one else has experienced this then...
Once in a blue moon, I’ll have to manually connect. It’s rare, though.

While on the topic of computers, I am on a waiting list for the FM9, but also considering an AXF III. I do not have a home computer, and was planning on getting a laptop when I receive my Fractal, probably next year with the FM9 wait list.

Does anyone know if I would be better off getting Windows 10 installed or Windows 11, and how powerful of a computer will I need if all I am going to use it for is going on You Tube to see tutorials, and running the edit software to work my Fractal, please?

Also would I be better off with a Mac Air, or Windows based laptop?

Thank you for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom