FM9 Turbo vs non-Turbo....significant more CPU available.

Well, kinda, but nope. Some are the same, and port directly across, but there are "FM9"-specific versions of CPU hungry presets, or some that have blocks that are exclusive to the FX3. The different presets are marked with "FM9" in the name, so a quick search in the Preset Picker will reveal them.
I was refering to the same presets between FM9 and FM9 turbo, not across the 3 different platforms

In that you can never be sure free non-problematic exchange can happen among all FM9 users. Non-turbo users exchanging in the Turbo community means you may have some work to do to make it work. Granted it may be rare and the "work" to do might be simple.
And neither can you for Axe Fx III, as I've mentioned more than once.

I think this is being inflated to a much bigger issue than it really is...

Yay, my flagship floor modeler didn't even make it out of warranty before it became obsolete.
Have you never before purchased electronics? Don't you know the item you buy today is already being replaced by designs and production lines already in motion? That's how the world has worked forever.

A new product doesn't make yours obsolete. If anything is obsolete, it's your thinking. Tell me my 1960's B15N is obsolete and I'll hose your sorry ass off my lawn.

Quit yer whining and go play some guitar!

Have you never before purchased electronics? Don't you know the item you buy today is already being replaced by designs and production lines already in motion? That's how the world has worked forever.

A new product doesn't make yours obsolete. If anything is obsolete, it's your thinking. Tell me my 1960's B15N is obsolete and I'll hose your sorry ass off my lawn.

Quit yer whining and go play some guitar!

C'mon, what is it that makes people go to war every time someone starts critizing FAS ? Everyone's free to have his own opinion.

C'mon, what is it that makes people go to war every time someone starts critizing FAS ? Everyone's free to have his own opinion.
It's not criticizing FAS, it's people showing ignorance about the real world that riles me up. Do you care when a new model of your oven comes out? Does it stop working and become "obsolete"?

Gain some perspective and if you want to complain do so thoughtfully about something that a) is a real problem, b) matters to more than just you, and c) can actually be solved.

It's not criticizing FAS, it's people showing ignorance about the real world that riles me up. Do you care when a new model of your oven comes out? Does it stop working and become "obsolete"?

Gain some perspective and if you want to complain do so thoughtfully about something that a) is a real problem, b) matters to more than just you, and c) can actually be solved.

Well, I understand where you're coming from but at the same time I cannot judge if my view of what's real and what not is correct. It's a matter of perspective I'd say. You cannot compare a software based appliance with an oven, the oven manufacturer doesn't even pretend there will be an update strategy, same is true for amps.

But this is a computer with software providing features. The firmware update strategy is probably one of the most important selling points of any FAS device. It's normal to feel uneasy when the 2k$ device you just bought get's replaced by its successor. I understand there's no real reason to fear being left behind in this case.

Bottom line : everyone's entitled to his own opinion, even if it's totally nuts.

Peace !

Well, I understand where you're coming from but at the same time I cannot judge if my view of what's real and what not is correct. It's a matter of perspective I'd say. You cannot compare a software based appliance with an oven, the oven manufacturer doesn't even pretend there will be an update strategy, same is true for amps.

But this is a computer with software providing features. The firmware update strategy is probably one of the most important selling points of any FAS device. It's normal to feel uneasy when the 2k$ device you just bought get's replaced by its successor. I understand there's no real reason to fear being left behind in this case.

Bottom line : everyone's entitled to his own opinion, even if it's totally nuts.

Peace !

If FAS intentionally killed the first FM9 and put the Turbo out at a huge price increase a year later, I could understand people getting upset. But they could not make the FM9 anymore. It wasn’t a choice they made on their end. They got handed a bunch of lemons and squeezed out a device with a whopping 11% more power.

Any kind of butthurt over this is nothing more than FOMO over the smallest bit of CPU. Actually…I’m done discussing this. This is fucking stupid.

If FAS intentionally killed the first FM9 and put the Turbo out at a huge price increase a year later, I could understand people getting upset. But they could not make the FM9 anymore. It wasn’t a choice they made on their end. They got handed a bunch of lemons and squeezed out a device with a whopping 11% more power.

Any kind of butthurt over this is nothing more than FOMO over the smallest bit of CPU. Actually…I’m done discussing this. This is fucking stupid.
Sell the obsolete model. Use the proceeds to buy the upgraded version :birthdaycake:

This thread went all kinds of funny! I would bet that all of the people on the waiting list are very happy to know that they are going get something they wanted to buy. The fact that they are getting a 10% CPU bonus for having to wait an EXTRA YEAR in no way makes the FM9 obsolete!. I was rocking mine last night and it sounded just fine without the extra 10% CPU.

Peace !
Yes, it's tough dropping serious coin on a product and soon after see an upgrade. But, the alternative is to wait for upgrades to cease, which with FAS seems a long time coming.

I think they learned an important lesson with the AX8 which was essentially a completely separate ecosystem. The entire line of products now all benefit from software updates and The Creator's waking dreams of insight.

If your musical career requires the latest and greatest, be comfortable selling your old gear to fund your upgrades. FAS gear retains value very well. I've sold through the Axe Fx II, and III to get the III turbo.

What fractalz and others have said:
I started with a standard, April 2009. since that day I have OWNED every fractal FULL modeler except the III. I sold each model to finance buying the newest model. Standard to Ultra to AxeFX, Axefx II, etc, etc, etc, etc.. Was happy when the AX8 came out, all in one. sold that to get the FM3. When FM9 came out i decided to keep the GREAT FM3 and just buy the FM9 outright.
This is NOT just my story, many have done this thru the years.

Yay, my flagship floor modeler didn't even make it out of warranty before it became obsolete

I would say it’s always a risk being the first one out the gate.
Technology.

It certainly makes sense for fractal to find a way around a global issue then to shut down production and go out of business.

It’s unfortunate - but I think more on a mental side then realistic.

You purchased your FM9 knowing what it was capable of.
I got on the waitlist before a turbo was conceived. I would have been happy either way.

Truth is, I probably will never use it beyond a standard fm9
It’s cool that there’s some more power but it wasn’t a deciding factor when I first got on the list.

Just my own opinion. Not meant to make anyone upset.
The quirky presets shown in the video - not my thing at all.

Reverb and delay, maybe an o give pedal and some phase or fuzz will be the extent of my day to day presets.

As for the bass… I have a A/O Ultra pedal that handles bass perfectly DI
I would say djent bass doesn’t have to be run across three rows of blocks either.

Again, just my own experience/opinion

FAS could have easily bumped the price on the turbo another $100-200 from the original to stop a lot of this type complaint. The turbo wasn't free, it cost more $$ but FAS didn't gouge so people could get one sooner. But as they say - no good deed goes unpunished.
Actually the 450 and 500 mhz sc587 chips are around the same price. Regardless, they could have made it more expensive but then people would have joined the list at one price and may be forced to decline due to budgetary constraints.

If the price of the unit goes up, do you still get the price at the time of getting on the waitlist? It’s going to be a long time for me as I got on the list recently. Which is ok. Happy with the FM3. But will be nice to have more power.

If the price of the unit goes up, do you still get the price at the time of getting on the waitlist? It’s going to be a long time for me as I got on the list recently. Which is ok. Happy with the FM3. But will be nice to have more power.
Not sure on the pricing. I'm in the same boat. The processor shortage is not over either which may further complicate things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the 450 and 500 mhz sc587 chips are around the same price. Regardless, they could have made it more expensive but then people would have joined the list at one price and may be forced to decline due to budgetary constraints.
Do you know if board design, power supply and other components were changed/substituted/altered to accommodate a manufacturing work around of parts shortages and what those cost too? You believe they simply just plugged in a chip with better performance that cost the same to solve the shortage problem and that was overlooked before?

A problem was solved to help people get the FM9. I don't understand the attitude that we have to dump on the solution because it was too good!? That's the reason for my post you replied to.

Back
Top Bottom