FM9 Turbo Pitch Block

Doesn't the FM9 have the same pitch detector as the AxeFX III though?

Edit: Hmm. Maybe not? "Based on" doesn't mean it's identical I guess. Is there different hardware for pitch detection?
  • Improvement: Pitch Block and Pitch Follower use new pitch detection based on Axe-Fx III
I think there's a difference in hardware that affects things but I'm not sure...

Only one pitch block is a deal breaker for me.
This question from @fractalz was a reply to the post above from @Bodde:
This answer from @humpfrey was to the question, which was not about actual question but about his own issue
i have to put the out on very high volume to hear the detuned sound prperly

I do not see how that requires 2 pitch blocks. Post a preset?
It doesn't... :)

Maybe Cliff can chime in and let us know once and for all can the FM9T handle two pitch blocks?
+ Even if it can and he would, wouldn't we potentially miss out on a new block in the future? Some space might have been reserved for a future epiphany or planned addition, but possibly more so: to have some headroom for blocks that may be requiring more memory/CPU in the future.

So, if I was Cliff, I'd add this pretty late in the development, as a goodbye present. IF there is still space left at that point, I could imagine a poll for some blocks that would still fit. My vote would not go towards Whammy users, BTW — I imagine there are more generally useful effects/blocks to (potentially) add on. To have an extra one for virtual capo or detuning, that I would welcome too. An extra version of the block that would need less resources seems a good idea (if possible).

The lack of a 2nd block still feels too great an incentive to get a III at the moment, and let's not forget we chose for this situation ourselves — unless your research was done too poorly (like mine)... Sure, you can push for, "If it gets a 2nd block, I'll buy one!" — I get that.

Last edited:
+ Even if it can and he would, wouldn't we potentially miss out on a new block in the future? Some space might have been reserved for a future epiphany or planned addition, but possibly more so: to have some headroom for blocks that may be requiring more memory/CPU in the future.

So, if I was Cliff, I'd add this pretty late in the development, as a goodbye present. IF there is still space left at that point, I could imagine a poll for some blocks that would still fit. My vote would not go towards Whammy users, BTW — I imagine there are more generally useful effects/blocks to (potentially) add on. To have an extra one for virtual capo or detuning, that I would welcome too. An extra version of the block that would need less resources seems a good idea (if possible).

The lack of a 2nd block still feels too great an incentive to get a III at the moment, and let's not forget we chose for this situation ourselves — unless your research was done too poorly (like mine)... Sure, you can push for, "If it gets a 2nd block, I'll buy one!" — I get that.
True, I don't need two blocks but of course I'm always happy with more. I'm enjoying the 1 block, very good quality. A poll is a great idea about giving up some room for a 2nd block, but before that we need to know from Cliff or someone in the know, if it's possible.

True, I don't need two blocks but of course I'm always happy with more. I'm enjoying the 1 block, very good quality. A poll is a great idea about giving up some room for a 2nd block, but before that we need to know from Cliff or someone in the know, if it's possible.
I agree, just feeling we may miss out on other plans or selfsabotage doing this too early.

I feel it's easier when you have the flagship (III) or at the end of the dev cycle. You can then, for example, say, "Yes, we can add this and that, if you are willing to lose the vocoder?" — and many would opt for that. As it would be the last firmware, no one has to lose anything. Don't upgrade if you want to keep the vocoder.

With an FM9, it seems less easy. What could we give up, even if this option was given?

Add to that that there are other good wishes, like for an IR Player block. Are you hoping the Dynamic Distortion will trickle down? Etc. Who should win? I wouldn't know what to pick myself at this point...

Last edited:
It would be amazing if we could be able to use the DSP however we want, If I want one amp and 10 delays is up to my creativity, that is what I liked about the Helix the most, you can whatever blocks you want (type and quantity), the only limitation is the DSP. regards!
That is what I'm talking about, why not do it that way, let the user decide. Being the most powerful floor amp modeler, you would think it could do just that. We see it being done with less powerful devices, makes me wonder why not here? I like amp updates and all that but a better workflow update would be much more welcomed.

I just recently got my FM9 after a year on the waitlist, and was happy to see that 10% extra power for having waited patiently. Some bonus is better than nothing and I feel like supply constraints or no, that was a nice thing Fractal did.

Having used and then sold the AX8 a couple of years ago, I expected the FM9 to be a real powerhouse treat, and it is awesome no question! I have a Helix as well and have spent a ton of time dialing it in at practices and gigs over the last year, learning its ins and outs (literally and figuratively), and I'm digging into the FM9 hard in the same way.

I used my FM9 in a jam last night, and got the brilliant idea to downtune myself and the bass player (running him through Input/Output 2 back to his amp), and maybe it was the devil's lettuce at play, but this didn't seem possible at all. I wondered about panning my guitar (Input 1) left and his bass (Input 2) right, then running those both into the Pitch block, then outputting them separately as mono signals to Outs 1 and 2 respectively, but couldn't get it to work on the unit itself. The single Pitch block sounds great still!

Would this have been possible using FM9-Edit and more advanced controls? Like others here I was kind of surprised that I'm limited to one pitch block, and even a limited number of other types of blocks in a preset like @richo144 and @suhrmajesty pointed out. If the Pitch block uses so little DSP in Virtual Capo mode, I feel I should be able to throw 2 or even 3 Pitch blocks so I could run instruments through my FM9 purely to tune them down.

On Helix, the Poly Capo block uses a ton of DSP so I have to choose the rest of the blocks carefully if I want a "do it all" preset. But still, I have the option to run a guitar and a bass through Helix and tune them both independently.

Don't get me wrong - I bought the FM9 because I do believe Fractal has an edge on the sound and feel which in evident in that I can pick some factory presets at random and they are guaranteed to sound and feel great to me. I don't want to think I'm giving up some flexibility (and more $$$) for that sound quality though, even if it's for things I may use on a whim from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom