FM9 Turbo Pitch Block

suhrmajesty

Inspired
Checking out some of the differences between FM9 and Axe III, and one of the things that stood out was the Pitch block. Do we know if the FM9 Turbo is going to get the latest Axe III Pitch block algorithm?

I believe FW3 brought even faster tracking for the pitch block than FW2 . Seems like the latency is barely noticeable in my patches now.
Haven't seen anyone post about this yet. But it really seems considerably better.

Yes, FM9 has the same algorithm for pitch block already, the limitation is fm9 can use just one block per preset versus 2 pitch blocks on axe fx 3

With the FM9 now being a Turbo, any chance it could get a 2nd pitch block?!?!?

I am on the waiting list for the FM9 and thought it already had 2! This may be a deal break and I may just stick with the FM3 that I already have!

I doubt you will see an additional pitch block on the FM9 Turbo alone. It would have to be all FM9 models as Fractal has stated that they use the same firmware and are otherwise identical outside of the additional memory. A lot of original FM9 users would be quite upset if that changed. I don’t see it happening.

that extra 10% of memory is not that much of a performance boost over the standard fm9. More of a workaround to get units delivered than a performance upgrade.

I doubt you will see an additional pitch block on the FM9 Turbo alone. It would have to be all FM9 models as Fractal has stated that they use the same firmware and are otherwise identical outside of the additional memory. A lot of original FM9 users would be quite upset if that changed. I don’t see it happening.
Good point, didn't think about them using the same Firmware.

This is how much the current pitch block uses on FM9 Turbo FW3 - the Quad types are very CPU intensive.

View attachment 110077
This is cool! Where did you find it? I still wish Fractal would just let us decide how many blocks of whatever we want to use, and base it on these CPU requirements. If I want to use 2 Pitch blocks, I would just need to keep the rest of the effects at a bare minim. Because mainly I just want to use the Virtual Capo, which does not use a lot of CPU, and then use a little Dual Detune. This will get me that Van Halen sound and then I can go 1/2 step down Tuning for certain songs. That right there is less CPU than the Quad Chromatic Delay!?!?!?

This is cool! Where did you find it? I still wish Fractal would just let us decide how many blocks of whatever we want to use, and base it on these CPU requirements. If I want to use 2 Pitch blocks, I would just need to keep the rest of the effects at a bare minim. Because mainly I just want to use the Virtual Capo, which does not use a lot of CPU, and then use a little Dual Detune. This will get me that Van Halen sound and then I can go 1/2 step down Tuning for certain songs. That right there is less CPU than the Quad Chromatic Delay!?!?!?
It’s from a spreadsheet I created to help me workout how to optimise cpu usage on my new FM9 turbo.

I shared it in this post
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-usage-summary-fm9-turbo.186913/#post-2315888

Heres the googlesheet link
FM9 CPU Googlesheet

Last edited:
It’s from a spreadsheet I created to help me workout how to optimise cpu usage on my new FM9 turbo.

I shared it in this post
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-usage-summary-fm9-turbo.186913/#post-2315888
That is Awesome! Good work man! See I come from the Digitech GSP2101 days! I had my Digitech from 1998 until just this year when it died! That is when I bought my FM3 because I had to have something to play at church! I love the FM3, but still considering the FM9. On the waitlist since June 2022, so I still have a while!

With the GSP2101, it told you in the manual how much CPU and Memory each effect used, so you had to do your own calculations to see if your effect chain would fit.

With the FM9 now being a Turbo, any chance it could get a 2nd pitch block?!?!?

I am on the waiting list for the FM9 and thought it already had 2! This may be a deal break and I may just stick with the FM3 that I already have!

Only one pitch block is a deal breaker for me.

I suspect the limitation on the number of pitch blocks may be related to the pitch detector and not the CPU of the block itself... I could be completely wrong, though :)

The hope is and I have seen it wished for a seperate virtual capo block w maybe a limited shift like a 1 or 2 semitone , so then you could still have a separate pitch block
Yes, that would be perfect! I may just end up getting a Digitech Whammy DT. I would use it for drop tuning and Whammy functions, and it tracks better than the Fractal. Still debating on whether I need an FM9 or not. Had my FM3 for a couple months now and still find endless capabilities and sounds! Still need more foot pedals though, so that alone may create the need because you get more bang for your $$$ with the FM9 as opposed to FM3 & FC6.

Yes, that would be perfect! I may just end up getting a Digitech Whammy DT. I would use it for drop tuning and Whammy functions, and it tracks better than the Fractal. Still debating on whether I need an FM9 or not. Had my FM3 for a couple months now and still find endless capabilities and sounds! Still need more foot pedals though, so that alone may create the need because you get more bang for your $$$ with the FM9 as opposed to FM3 & FC6.

An FM3 with some extra footpedals is a lot cheaper than an FM9 isn't it?

An FM3 with some extra footpedals is a lot cheaper than an FM9 isn't it?
An FM3 with an FC6 is $1649.98 Plus tax and shipping. An FM9 is $1699.99 Plus tax and shipping, so you get a lot more for 50 bucks! You just have to wait for an FM9! Currently the wait is about 11 months due to part shortages! However, Fractal has really been catching up fast! So hopefully by Dec or Jan they may have fulfilled the wait list and have stock on hand! But no one knows for sure, except Fractal! There is a separate forum for the FM9 waitlist.

An FM3 with an FC6 is $1649.98 Plus tax and shipping. An FM9 is $1699.99 Plus tax and shipping, so you get a lot more for 50 bucks! You just have to wait for an FM9! Currently the wait is about 11 months due to part shortages! However, Fractal has really been catching up fast! So hopefully by Dec or Jan they may have fulfilled the wait list and have stock on hand! But no one knows for sure, except Fractal! There is a separate forum for the FM9 waitlist.

Ok didn’t know the US prices and didn’t know the FC6 was that much. In that case you better buy the FM9 or keep the FM3 and buy some cheaper Boss switches.

In Europe we pay 2399 euro for the FM9 which is too much (for me anyway).

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
I still wish Fractal would just let us decide how many blocks of whatever we want to use, and base it on these CPU requirements. If I want to use 2 Pitch blocks, I would just need to keep the rest of the effects at a bare minim.
I feel this way sometimes, but I started to realize how insanely complicated it would get when it comes to external controllers, MIDI, scene controllers, etc. For instance, in the MIDI menu, you can assign a CC# to the bypass state for any of the available blocks. That list would be 10x bigger if they had to plan for the one guy that wants nothing but 16 Drive blocks or whatever lol.

FWIW, if you've got the coin, you CAN do this in both the Helix and QC (that is, insert any blocks until the CPU runs out).

Back
Top Bottom