FM9 Traditional Power Amp & Cab setup question

Geronimo

I’m currently an FX8 user, and I play through a Marshall JCM800 2205 50-Watt head & 4x12 speaker cab

I want to upgrade to the FM9. For live gigs I want to use the traditional Guitar Power Amp & Cab Method (effects only).

For home use I want to use the Audio Interface setup (amp/cab modeling) for recording at home.

The FX8 doesn't color my tone when I'm in bypass mode (no effects) and I don't experience any "tone suck". It sounds as if I'm plugging straight in the amp from my guitar.

So my question is will I experience any "tone suck" if I chose to use the "Traditional Guitar Power Amp & Cab setup or the 4-cable method with the FM9? Will the FM9 color my tone when it’s in bypass mode?

Last edited:
That depends on your personal definition of "tone suck."

In the FX8 manual, "tone suck" refers to the loss of high frequencies that happens when you load down passive pickups with low-impedance circuitry. That won't happen with the FM9.

But if "tone suck" means "my tone sucks," that's different. If you dial in a sucky tone, that's on you. :)

That depends on your personal definition of "tone suck."

In the FX8 manual, "tone suck" refers to the loss of high frequencies that happens when you load down passive pickups with low-impedance circuitry. That won't happen with the FM9.

But if "tone suck" means "my tone sucks," that's different. If you dial in a sucky tone, that's on you. :)

I'm not talking about dialing in a "sucky tone". I love my tone from my 2-Channel Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and my JCM800 2205 50-Watt head.

When I'm playing a riff with no effects I want it to sound as if I'm plugging straight in the amp from my guitar.

What I'm asking if the FM9 will color my tone when it’s in bypass mode?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom