FM9 SPDIF Question

SweetPete

Inspired
Greetings All!

Awaiting my FM9, my first Fractal product. I have a question about the SPDIF feature on the FM9. According to the FM9 owner's manual, its clock locks at 48khz. I have an old Lexicon MPX1 rack FX unit with an SPDIF feature that clock locks at 44.1khz. I'm no expert in this matter, but do the 2 different clock rates mean these 2 pieces of gear will NOT be communicating over SPDIF?

You would need a clock rate converter. Cheap units convert the signal to audio and then re-sample it using the target clock rate. Given the nature of the SPDIF interface I would use it only where there's no other option. The FM9 can be more easily integrated via USB. If you're in your studio you better tie in the FM9 via USB and hook up the Lexicon via SPDIF to your audio interface.

Greetings All!

Awaiting my FM9, my first Fractal product. I have a question about the SPDIF feature on the FM9. According to the FM9 owner's manual, its clock locks at 48khz. I have an old Lexicon MPX1 rack FX unit with an SPDIF feature that clock locks at 44.1khz. I'm no expert in this matter, but do the 2 different clock rates mean these 2 pieces of gear will NOT be communicating over SPDIF?
Correct. Best use analog I/O in this case.

Back
Top Bottom