FM9 sounds different than FM3?

TBrax

Is it just me or does the FM9 sound and feel different than FM3?

I tried identical presets after firing up my fresh FM9, and they sound and feel better to me on the FM9…maybe it’s the secret sauce advertised on the input?

Anyway, both sound and feel amazing, and I am psyched to have the extra foot switches and processing power. 😀

Is it just me or does the FM9 sound and feel different than FM3?

I tried identical presets after firing up my fresh FM9, and they sound and feel better to me on the FM9…maybe it’s the secret sauce advertised on the input?

Anyway, both sound and feel amazing, and I am psyched to have the extra foot switches and processing power. 😀
Nice congrats I'm still waiting on mine, it's gonna be a little longer😩

I just received my FM9 this morning and was playing it for a bit this afternoon. I was thinking the very same thing. It seems to feel different in a better way and when comparing stock patches, the FM9 sounds sweeter to me. Not that the FM3 is bad in any way. I just seem to prefer the FM9. It's probably all in my head and I should just write it off as "New Gear Day"...

I just received my FM9 this morning and was playing it for a bit this afternoon. I was thinking the very same thing. It seems to feel different in a better way and when comparing stock patches, the FM9 sounds sweeter to me. Not that the FM3 is bad in any way. I just seem to prefer the FM9. It's probably all in my head and I should just write it off as "New Gear Day"...
Haha maybe! I’m super curious now because I just played a gig with it, and again it felt and sounded different (in a good way) to me. I use a digital board so my settings are always the same…I think it’s time for a null test!

Reamp the same DI track and preset through both and do a NULL test in your DAW. That will tell you pretty definitively if there is any signal content difference between them.
Oh man that’s a great idea. Will do this asap!

I don’t remember but some of the presets might have UltraRes cabs and the highest reverb setting. When I increase the quality of the cab IR and reverbs in my FM9 presets it usually sounds better

It definitely sounds different. I have been hesitant to post a thread as to not detract sales from the FM3, but no doubt my FM9 sounds different and better to me than my FM3 did.

I don’t remember but some of the presets might have UltraRes cabs and the highest reverb setting. When I increase the quality of the cab IR and reverbs in my FM9 presets it usually sounds better
Yeah, I was thinking about that but I was auditioning the 50W Plexi patch and check the cab block. They were on standard res and reverb was standard as well. I also killed the stereo split so I could compare mono to mono. FM9 feels and sounds subtly better. I am sure it is NGD syndrome - which means I'll never be cured of buying gear...

It definitely sounds different. I have been hesitant to post a thread as to not detract sales from the FM3, but no doubt my FM9 sounds different and better to me than my FM3 did.
Ahh I hear you. I’m definitely not bashing the FM3, I love it and it’s still absolutely amazing!

Reamp the same DI track and preset through both and do a NULL test in your DAW. That will tell you pretty definitively if there is any signal content difference between them.
Not necessarily as IIRC from Cliff the (60 Hz) amp power supply phase can be randomly different which affects signal processing. Setting to DC might nullify this source of 'random' possible difference in a NULL test.

I'd recomend sending the same DI through the same preset/block chain with the amp bypassed (thru) to first see if you get signal cancellation. If so, then add the amp and do it (perhaps with power supply set to DC).

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, all of the FM9 presets default to the lower-res cabs…I use ultra-res on my FM3 presets and switched to ultra on the FM9 to make sure

Not necessarily as IIRC from Cliff the (60 Hz) amp power supply phase can be randomly different which affects signal processing. Setting to DC might nullify this source of difference.

I'd recomend sending the same DI through the same preset/block chain with the amp bypassed (thru) to first see if you get signal cancellation. If so, then add the amp and do it (perhaps with power supply set to DC).
Ahh good point.

Variable impedance?
That's what I was thinking. I have not played different guitars through it to see what I think of different pickup designs and outputs. To be honest, I really have not adjusted much of anything because I don't want to dig the rabbit hole of "can I find better". I am a bit of an old school player and stuck the stock Plexi 50W, a strat and my volume knob and getting everything that I enjoy out to my ears. Glad winter is on the way in the PNW so I can hunker down indoors and work on the band' s next year's set list with this thing. Been gigging the Axe-III with a matrix and a pair of stacked 1x12s. Time to leave that stuff in the rehearsal room and go direct and a wedge monitor with the FM9.

From what I understand, variable impedance only matters when run directly into certain types of Drive block. Otherwise it doesn't actually affect the sound.

Back
Top Bottom