FM9 Preventive Maintenance?

If you blow the fan with compressed can air to clean it, make sure to block the blades so to protect the fan from spinning at fast rotation to prevent the damage to its bearing.
How is that any different from when it is running? It's not an automatic transmission.
That is not gonna hurt the bearing.

How is that any different from when it is running? It's not an automatic transmission.
That is not gonna hurt the bearing.
It may be that blowing air into the fan vent is reversing the direction of the fan blades. I think that might be an issue if the blades are uni-directional. If not, then the point is moot.

Thank you! Will check my toolkit and see if there is something there. The teeth part will need brushing and fewer coffee stains. Was thinking the socket wrench would be best for confined back panel areas.

Greg, do you happen to know what @Piing was referring to regards FM9 tube amp block bias?

Greg,

Is this perhaps what @Piing was referring to? If so, my apologies for my snark. Here's the post in Tech Notes:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bias-excursion.99698/

There is a battery inside, to maintain the user presets and CABs. The life expectancy is about 10 years, although some case has been reported of battery failing after 4 years. so maybe it is prudent to replace it after 4 years if you have to play at important gigs. I've had all the fractal Audio units since the Axe-FX standard in 2006, and never had to replace a battery. But I never had any of them for so many years, because I always replaced them with the next release.

I hope we will see the Axe-FX IV before 2030. I am perfectly happy with the III, but I would feel lazy to replace the battery :cool:
Is there, though?

I seem to recall reading that there's not one in the FM3...

Has anyone confirmed it?

I don't think so either, but that might be a good question for tech support!
I'd be pretty surprised if it hurt the bearings. Do keep in mind, though, that every electric motor is inherently also an electric generator, and I have heard of fans being spun up enough by compressed air that it's damaged components on motherboards. So maybe verify with someone who isn't an internet rando that the FM9 is protected from that before blowing on its fans too vigorously.

(Personally, I usually either use a finger or a toothpick to prevent the fan from rotating while I'm blowing compressed air on them, but that's entirely because I can't be bothered to find out if it's ok with the board in question. Or just unplug the fans first, if that's more convenient.)

Knock yourself out!
Perhaps! The key will be the timing. Tech Support will have gone home for the day. Will report back once I find out from Tech Support.

EDIT: Messaged Tech Support. Will wait til they reply with a more definitive answer.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty surprised if it hurt the bearings. Do keep in mind, though, that every electric motor is inherently also an electric generator, and I have heard of fans being spun up enough by compressed air that it's damaged components on motherboards. So maybe verify with someone who isn't an internet rando that the FM9 is protected from that before blowing on its fans too vigorously.
Good point. Ain't too proud to say I hadn't thought of that....
(Personally, I usually either use a finger or a toothpick to prevent the fan from rotating while I'm blowing compressed air on them, but that's entirely because I can't be bothered to find out if it's ok with the board in question. Or just unplug the fans first, if that's more convenient.)
Although now that you mention it, I too hold the fan from spinning when I do this.

Good point. Ain't too proud to say I hadn't thought of that....

Although now that you mention it, I too hold the fan from spinning when I do this.
I let the fan spin freely when I hit it with compressed air. It seems to shake more dust loose. I've been doing that on various gear for 30 years. No damage so far.

Last edited:
Perhaps! The key will be the timing. Tech Support will have gone home for the day. Will report back once I find out from Tech Support.

EDIT: Messaged Tech Support. Will wait til they reply with a more definitive answer.

I let the fan spin freely when I hit it with compressed air. Or seems to shake more dust loose. I've been doing that on various gear for 30 years. No damage so far.

Verified from FAS Tech Support:

"Make sure the unit is powered off, using canned compressed air would be fine or use a gentle vacuum on the area would be fine."

I let the fan spin freely when I hit it with compressed air. It seems to shake more dust loose. I've been doing that on various gear for 30 years. No damage so far.
I have a faint memory of being advised to be careful with the canned air around the air ducts in my Macbook to avoid damaging its fan, but likely that is a special case due to the tiny size it must have to be to fit in there making it impossible to build it stronger....

I have a faint memory of being advised to be careful with the canned air around the air ducts in my Macbook to avoid damaging its fan, but likely that is a special case due to the tiny size it must have to be to fit in there making it impossible to build it stronger....
It's only air. Compressed air is usually called "Dust-Off", and is used for maintaining computer keyboards, CD readers, etc. If it were for a MacBook, I'd simply hold the nozzle at a greater distance to avoid too forceful an effect. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom