FM9 Poweramp and cab

dave noy

Hi All.
This is my 1st post so hopefully its in the right place.
What power amp are you guys using with the FM9 Turbo.I run into a Matrix GT1000fx and a zilla vertical 2x12 loaded with a V30 and a G12K 100. I am finding I can get close pretty close to the tone I am after with the FM9 and the Matrix , but after reading various posts on the axe fx 3 being used with other power amps I am wondering if the Matrix upgraded will help even more. I have read that other users are using either the SYN 5050 or the Fryette LXII. Any of you guys here have experience with either of these power amps.
Thanks

Hi All.
This is my 1st post so hopefully its in the right place.
What power amp are you guys using with the FM9 Turbo.I run into a Matrix GT1000fx and a zilla vertical 2x12 loaded with a V30 and a G12K 100. I am finding I can get close pretty close to the tone I am after with the FM9 and the Matrix , but after reading various posts on the axe fx 3 being used with other power amps I am wondering if the Matrix upgraded will help even more. I have read that other users are using either the SYN 5050 or the Fryette LXII. Any of you guys here have experience with either of these power amps.
Thanks
For live playing I use a Crown 1502 XLS into a traditional guitar cab. If you're using the power amp modeling of the Fractal, I would stick with a good solid state amplifier. This was the easier path for me transitioning from a traditional amp/effects/cabinet rig.

Otherwise, for FRFR it's into a pair of powered Yamaha HS8 monitors.

The Matrix is a good amp. I personally prefer the Powerstage 700, but you’ll find that preference can also reversed. HS8 are a good, cost-minded solution in the studio.

For live playing I use a Crown 1502 XLS into a traditional guitar cab. If you're using the power amp modeling of the Fractal, I would stick with a good solid state amplifier. This was the easier path for me transitioning from a traditional amp/effects/cabinet rig.

Otherwise, for FRFR it's into a pair of powered Yamaha HS8 monitors.
Thanks for your replies. Power amp modeling will be on so solid state as far as I can tell would be preferred. I've not gone down the FRFR route....yet lol something else that's being considered.

I’m currently getting good results using a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 with a Mesa Widebody Open Back 1x12. Fairly light setup that keeps up well in a band setting.

I have a Fryette Power Station as well, but mostly using the SD PS170 at the moment as it is lightweight, quiet, and easier to route the FM9 to FOH.

I also have a CLR Neo, but currently prefer the feel of a traditional cab on stage.

I am using a Powerstage 700 to power a pair of custom oversized 2x12 cabs (V30/Creamback mix in each). It's a phenomenal setup. Not only does it sound great, the onboard tone controls can be very handy. I've been able to match the sound and feel of my tube amps pretty easily through those same cabs. Since I can do that, I don't feel the need to keep hunting.

To take this a step further, I've started messing around with a w/d/w setup using an EVH 50w head's power section to power the dry cab (a third custom 2x12) with the PS700 powering the wet cabs. It's amazing. My previous experiments in nailing my amps' tones is making me consider getting a Powerstage 200 for the w/d/w setup and selling off all the amps.

Another PS170 user here, into a Zilla 1x12 or 2x12. Enjoying it so far, especially the convenience. Would consider upgrading to the 200 or 700 at somepoint if needed.

Duncan PS200 with Marshall 1960av 4x12 Cab. Sounds great.

When running through a power amp, I use Matrix GT1000FX into a Mesa Rectifier 2 x 12 cab plus a Avatar 2 x 12 cab with V30 and G12H30 speakers. When using FRFR at home I use Adam Audio t7v. I play mostly Metallica!

Compared to all you guys running so much power I feel bashful about it, but I'm using a Quilter Interblock 45 with the modeler plugged into the FX return on the box, then into my Ear Candy BuzzBomb 2x12 with V30/C90. Fantastic cab that has served me well for 16 years,

The 45 watts into 4 ohms might not push as much air as your fancy poweramps but it's plenty loud enough for stage volume, and when FOH mics it up or takes a direct feed, I'm happy!

Compared to all you guys running so much power I feel bashful about it, but I'm using a Quilter Interblock 45 with the modeler plugged into the FX return on the box, then into my Ear Candy BuzzBomb 2x12 with V30/C90. Fantastic cab that has served me well for 16 years,

The 45 watts into 4 ohms might not push as much air as your fancy poweramps but it's plenty loud enough for stage volume, and when FOH mics it up or takes a direct feed, I'm happy!
At the time I got my CLRs, there wasn't much on the market. If I did it again today, I probably would have gone with Quilter or something in that category. May switch to a lighter solution moving forward.

At the time I got my CLRs, there wasn't much on the market. If I did it again today, I probably would have gone with Quilter or something in that category. May switch to a lighter solution moving forward.
I'm very much a noob and somewhat weirded out by FRFR vs my real cab, so I'm curious - the Atomic CLR seems to be the gold standard for live use, do you dial in separate presets at home for live vs recording or just increase low cut? At the gig, do you use the CLR to blast out into the crowd like a backline or as a monitor wedge?

I'm so used to sound of my cab that plugging my real head or modeler+Quilter into my bandmate's Marshall 4x12 just doesn't sound as good. My 2x12 is magic to me. How do you feel when you think about ditching the CLR in favour of a mini power amp?

I'm very much a noob and somewhat weirded out by FRFR vs my real cab, so I'm curious - the Atomic CLR seems to be the gold standard for live use, do you dial in separate presets at home for live vs recording or just increase low cut? At the gig, do you use the CLR to blast out into the crowd like a backline or as a monitor wedge?

I'm so used to sound of my cab that plugging my real head or modeler+Quilter into my bandmate's Marshall 4x12 just doesn't sound as good. My 2x12 is magic to me. How do you feel when you think about ditching the CLR in favour of a mini power amp?
There are so many ways to look at this. I chose the CLR route as a way to stop bringing an amp+cab+rack. I like the idea of using the FRFR as a monitor wedge and letting FOH handle FOH. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. As with the advent of CDs (I'm dating myself strenuously here), people continued to use analog recording techniques for a decade before they adapted. Live sound is similar. I still get pushback when I want to send an XLR feed to FOH instead of them using a mic on my monitor. Also I bought an IEM, so I want to transition to me having no FRFR onstage.

For people who like to have a cab onstage, you're not alone. Pete Thorn makes a great case for having a modeler onstage that feeds FOH, plus a guitar cab that runs dry for overall feel and mechanical feedback to the guitar. That would be a reason for me to keep an FRFR wedge in addition to IEMs.

When I switched from a guitar cab onstage to FRFR, I spent some time tuning a CAB model to match my guitar cab. It worked pretty well for me, but since then, MANY great IRs have come out, and I love having access to different tones on the fly. So once I switched to IR, I found I preferred NOT having a particular cab tone.

Great insight @elvis as with one band we also use IEMs with individual mixes when FOH allows it. But the idea of having no stage volume and no speaker/guitar interaction is INSANE to me!

I notice in some presets from Axechange and videos etc a lot of people run Out 3 right off the amp, and only the direct signal has effects. I remember the advent of CDs too so maybe I'm old fashioned, I want all the goods (FX) coming through my onstage cab too, having it totally dry seems criminal and a compromise I haven't tried to live with yet,

Same as on my Helix, post-FX is where I split to go out to physical cab and through an IR. Having the FX after the IR vs before doesn't seem to make a huge difference to my ear, and then if anyone happens to be within firing distance of my physical cab at the gig they get the sound as I intend it

Back
Top Bottom