FM9 output louder than FM3

Jon Kaneshiro

Experienced
Vendor
Just got my FM9 Turbo! Made the switch from the FM3. In general, the FM9 sounds louder to me. I usually dime the output 1 control on the FM3 and play through my AKG 240 headphones. Used the same preset on both units. Not a complaint, but just a wondering!

There was a difference between Axe Fx III and FM9 for me when I got it...

Don't know if there still is. I didn't compare FM3 as it's used by the other guitarist in my band.

Cables can make a difference. I've had issues before where one side was significantly quieter than the other and swapping XLR cables fixed it. The cable worked fine unless compared with another.

Check your Output settings - possibly one is -10 and the other +4.

There was a difference between Axe Fx III and FM9 for me when I got it...

Don't know if there still is. I didn't compare FM3 as it's used by the other guitarist in my band.

Cables can make a difference. I've had issues before where one side was significantly quieter than the other and swapping XLR cables fixed it. The cable worked fine unless compared with another.

Check your Output settings - possibly one is -10 and the other +4.
This is just straight through the headphone jack. Output settings are the same. Had a couple guys say the same thing.

I'm going to highjack this thread, so thank you in advance.
I'm finding the output of the FM9 to be much lower than my Axe Fx 2.
I use SPDIF exclusively from Axe FX to a Steinberg UR28m interface. On my Axe 2 I would always level a preset to poke just above the line on the output page.
Going to FM9 i'm doing the same thing but I'm getting much less output from the unit. My input lights on the interface are showing it's a pretty weak signal.
Also on a side note, it might be because I'm using SPDIF but I have NEVER seen the out 1 2 or 3 clip lights light up. I've tried turning up the analogue outs knobs on the front and clipping a preset but they never have come on.

I`ve noticed the same thing actually. I cannot get the input clipping lights to clip = tickle the red. I could on the FM3 though. And after the last 2 or so FM9 updates, I had to readjust/increase my Xitone output volume because I seemed to have less signal all of a sudden coming out of the FM9.

I`ve noticed the same thing actually. I cannot get the input clipping lights to clip = tickle the red. I could on the FM3 though. And after the last 2 or so FM9 updates, I had to readjust/increase my Xitone output volume because I seemed to have less signal all of a sudden coming out of the FM9.
just o be clear I'm talking about the output clip light under STATUS on the front panel. None of them have ever come on despite me trying just to see it work.....but my real problem is lack of line level over SPDIF

just o be clear I'm talking about the output clip light under STATUS on the front panel. None of them have ever come on despite me trying just to see it work.....but my real problem is lack of line level over SPDIF
Those won't ever turn on if you don't have the output knob all the way up

Just got my FM9 Turbo! Made the switch from the FM3. In general, the FM9 sounds louder to me. I usually dime the output 1 control on the FM3 and play through my AKG 240 headphones. Used the same preset on both units. Not a complaint, but just a wondering!

The output level of the FM9 (and III) is higher than that of the FM3. Not a bug.

I had to readjust/increase my Xitone output volume because I seemed to have less signal all of a sudden coming out of the FM9.
Maybe this is the same issue I encountered here?

Or it could be the known issue regarding the reverb mix law, if you have i.e. the mix at 50% your dry signal will be attenuated by 6dB instead of 3dB

Outgoing SPDIF level is fixed. You can adjust it at the receiving end.
Should it be the same level as the AXE FX II?
I'll plug in my AXE 2 and check it out but since getting the FM9 I'm getting drowned out by everything else.
I shall investigate

The output level of the FM9 (and III) is higher than that of the FM3. Not a bug.
I’m glad I’m not crazy! Thanks for confirming that. Just want to keep things pretty consistent between units. Sound like just turning the output 1 knob down a tad will do just fine.

What’s the best way to mitigate this? I usually dime the output 1 knob on the fm3. Should I just turn that down or turn down using another parameter? This is also on factory presets. Inputs don’t clip, but my Akg 240s are peaking.

Well, I have a mixer to take care of that. But you can try setting the FM3 to +4dB, and keeping the FM9 at -10dB in Setup > I/O > Audio.

What’s the best way to mitigate this? I usually dime the output 1 knob on the fm3. Should I just turn that down or turn down using another parameter? This is also on factory presets. Inputs don’t clip, but my Akg 240s are peaking.
If you're leveling your presets to the 0dB in the VU meter, you're going to have a challenge running the knob at 100% with headphones.

I have HD650s and my output 1 would need to be below 50% or less...

Back
Top Bottom