FM9 MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m actually thinking the FM9 could be the last modeler I may ever need. I have the FM3 and it sounds great. Add the switches and extra processing of the FM9 and I’m not sure what else I’d need.

Yes, new modeling, amps, effects, etc will come out eventually. Maybe I’lll want something else in the future for the bells and whistles but I could happily play for the foreseeable future with the FM9.

Just wait about 100 years, and everything will be so coooooooooooooooooool ;)

I get what you are asking but it's too early. I in fact bought the ultra just before the axe fx 2 was released. I had like a week left to return the ultra, thank goodness. I of course did not buy the ultra BEFORE it came out though; clearly it was at the end of it's cycle.

Last edited:
I’m actually thinking the FM9 could be the last modeler I may ever need. I have the FM3 and it sounds great. Add the switches and extra processing of the FM9 and I’m not sure what else I’d need.

Yes, new modeling, amps, effects, etc will come out eventually. Maybe I’lll want something else in the future for the bells and whistles but I could happily play for the foreseeable future with the FM9.
I have been here since the beginning-owned them all. But I feel the same way you do. FM9 will be perfect for me. And being an old timer, may very well be it. The AXFXIII is, to be honest, over kill for me....

Last edited:
I will venture a guess, in the meantime, there might be something big released like maybe a Axe-FX IV.
For reference, the II was out for about 7 years before the III came out. And my guess is the III will last longer than that, as FAS has continually improved upon the design since the standard to make something that really doesn't need to be tweaked often. FAS just "completed" the new family, what makes you think they're about to rewrite that? I have a feeling the current hardware will stay for a long while.

What about the FM9 do you wish were different that you are hoping a MKII will improve upon? What feature doesn't it have that is important enough to you to be willing to wait a year or two for? You mentioned more memory; do you think you will need more memory? A touch screen can be nice, but they can be problematic too. It is one more thing to go wrong (and a particularly vulnerable one). I backlit logo? You are willing to forgo having a Fractal unit for a year or more to get a backlit logo that only you will see? These are the questions you need to be asking yourself. Even if a MKII comes out next year, you can always sell your MKI and buy a MKII if the changes it brings are that important to you.

I don't understand the obsession with touch screens. The ONLY benefit to a touch screen is the ability to run lots of different interfaces (e.g. any app you want with no similarity needed between them). That's not necessary in a device with a single purpose built by a single company. With a touch screen you also lose tactile feedback and coarse/fine adjustments can be tedious/impossible relative to turning a physical knob.

I'll take a properly designed UI with physical controls over a touch screen.

I don't understand the obsession with touch screens. The ONLY benefit to a touch screen is the ability to run lots of different interfaces (e.g. any app you want with no similarity needed between them). That's not necessary in a device with a single purpose built by a single company. With a touch screen you also lose tactile feedback and coarse/fine adjustments can be tedious/impossible relative to turning a physical knob.

Absolutely agree, and the number of parameters that can be tweaked on Fractal products would mean pages upon pages of settings to search through if they were big enough on a touchscreen.

At home, connecting to a computer is the superior method even with a touchscreen, and at a gig, there's really not much use for a touchscreen. I personally don't care for them, and would rather not pay extra for that feature.

I say buy it when you can and enjoy. Upgrade cycles not worth the worry. Personally I'm more worried Cliff will sell the company to Yamaha and ride off into the sunset with his vast millions never to be heard from again.

I say buy it when you can and enjoy. Upgrade cycles not worth the worry. Personally I'm more worried Cliff will sell the company to Yamaha and ride off into the sunset with his vast millions never to be heard from again.
That’s when Cliff’s puggins will start to come out. 🤪

What about the FM9 do you wish were different that you are hoping a MKII will improve upon? What feature doesn't it have that is important enough to you to be willing to wait a year or two for? You mentioned more memory; do you think you will need more memory? A touch screen can be nice, but they can be problematic too. It is one more thing to go wrong (and a particularly vulnerable one). I backlit logo? You are willing to forgo having a Fractal unit for a year or more to get a backlit logo that only you will see? These are the questions you need to be asking yourself. Even if a MKII comes out next year, you can always sell your MKI and buy a MKII if the changes it brings are that important to you.
Randall- all good points. I am not going to wait or hesitate to buy at all. Actually, I can 't wait to be notified that it's my turn to buy! I was just curious what everyone was thinking. Thanks to most of the posters, I now I have a good idea- minor improvements, if any could be years out. Most, including myself will eagerly buy the FM9 v.1 once it's my turn. If any of us feel compelled to grab a MKII version, the option to trade up is always there. Also, several made good points about touchscreens being potentially more problems than they are worth. The upgraded (from FM3) PC editor will come in very handy.

I for one, old time computer tech, do NOT like touchscreens. Now, id we had the Enterprises voice commands, that would be cool. Touchscreen, not so much for me.

What I don't get is why does this annoy you guys? Really?

I think the OP question was perfectly valid.

i think the actual question of “is it safe to buy the FM9 now/when would a new version come out” is fine and no one would have reacted negatively if it was just that.

I for one, old time computer tech, do NOT like touchscreens. Now, id we had the Enterprises voice commands, that would be cool. Touchscreen, not so much for me.
Thanks ALBERTA- I know I don't get all this negativity either...yet there are 3 pages of threads so I they keep coming back. Respectfully though, to those who don't approve of my questions, I am certainly not seeking your validation. If you don't approve of my question- feel free to move on. You should probably be practicing anyway. ;) If you want to contribute productively, I would like to hear from you.

I do have to say though, this is kind of silly. If someone at FAS had posed similar questions maybe phrased slightly differently e.g., Hey all- What do you all want to see next? Is anyone interested in knowing the upcoming releases schedule for FM9, MKII? I guarantee there would be about 50 pages of gushing and respectful threads and unlimited curiosity. It's likely not one person would have any issues. I think what happens sometimes is when one person makes a smart and negative comment, others like to pile on. It's a social proof type thing (they feel safe adding to the negativity.) Before joining in, just remember, it could be you next time that this same group comes down on.

Further, a select few are again just not understanding the very simple and benign nature of my inquiry. Yet again, I am just genuinely curiosity what (most) others think. It is not going to stop me from getting my new FM9 v1. I am quite excited to get it! I think some mistakenly thought I didn't appreciate the FM9- as is. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's the one (I and many ) have been waiting for. It is nothing short of incredible. Even if I did however take feedback, and decide to wait (not happening), that would be my right.

I am not a pro-musician. Spending $1,599 is a big investment for me- so I will ask questions, thank you very much. I am again, not sorry if some don't approve. In the past, I have read many similar versions of these types of questions. For some reason, because as one person put it "no one has even made a YTube unboxing video yet" some (not all) are finding the timing of my question invalid. Is that the standard now- YTube? So in 3 months- after the requisite number of YTube videos come out, and even with zero additional information available, my question will then be socially acceptable? I would have to ask though, if anyone is so offended of someone asking a couple of relevant questions...wait for it, "in a forum," why are they still coming back to this thread?

Per FAS, there are Rules and Standards of Conduct in this forum which I appreciate and agree with. I believe the spirit of which is, basically contribute positively and add value- or don't comment. IMO, coming down on a member (any member) for asking simple questions seems to go against their standards of conduct. To put it a better way, as Ron Burgundy said, "Let's keep it classy." I would welcome a chance for the moderator to review- and hear what they have to say. I've always contributed positively in here and I fully stand by my questions. Ive also received some great replies. To those people, thank you.

The heart of my two (2) questions were simply...

1. When do you think a MKII model could follow? and...
2. What improvements seem most logical to everyone?

Are those really such outrageous and terrible questions? Many of us are wondering those two exact things. What is the point of a forum, if we can't exchange reasonable ideas and questions freely without all this negativity. Honestly, if this is the worse thing you have to put up with in 2021, you are doing ok.

Lastly- a logical question some might be thinking is- "If you really don't care" why write this long post? The short answer is because this is a great forum. Most of the members in here are outstanding. I have learned a lot from them over the years and I am grateful for that. I would never want a new member to be put off by a few people and their smart comments. I would not want others to feel like they cannot ask simple, respectful and genuine questions (in a forum) out of fear that they might be called out and met with negativity. The vast majority of members in here are very friendly and helpful. That's all I have to say about that.

Last edited:
I think if you just asked those questions just like that the outcome would have been a little different.
It's all good Chris but those were the actual questions (verbatim) from my original thread (see page 1.) I literally copied and pasted them.

Thank you for suggesting alternative wording. It was nice of you but I honestly don't think it would be have been received any better. It essentially asks the exact same thing. Regardless of semantics, some simply do not approve of the timing of my questions. Again, I learned that I have to wait until at least a few YTube videos come out. The good news is, then I can ask!

This reminds me of that scene in Pulp Fiction- "A please would be nice." I guess I am Mr. Wolf in this situation..."So please, pretty please, with sugar on top...don't be offended by my questions." Maybe, just maybe I am not the one with the issue here. After all, I am not the one who introduced any negativity. It just goes to show, "You can please some of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time."

Last edited:
Thanks ALBERTA- I know I don't get all this negativity either...yet there are 3 pages of threads so I they keep coming back. Respectfully though, to those who don't approve of my questions, I am certainly not seeking your validation. If you don't approve of my question- feel free to move on. You should probably be practicing anyway. ;) If you want to contribute productively, I would like to hear from you.

I do have to say though, this is kind of silly. If someone at FAS had posed similar questions maybe phrased slightly differently e.g., Hey all- What do you all want to see next? Is anyone interested in knowing the upcoming releases schedule for FM9, MKII? I guarantee there would be about 50 pages of gushing and respectful threads and unlimited curiosity. It's likely not one person would have any issues. I think what happens sometimes is when one person makes a smart and negative comment, others like to pile on. It's a social proof type thing (they feel safe adding to the negativity.) Before joining in, just remember, it could be you next time that this same group comes down on.

Further, a select few are again just not understanding the very simple and benign nature of my inquiry. Yet again, I am just genuinely curiosity what (most) others think. It is not going to stop me from getting my new FM9 v1. I am quite excited to get it! I think some mistakenly thought I didn't appreciate the FM9- as is. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's the one (I and many ) have been waiting for. It is nothing short of incredible. Even if I did however take feedback, and decide to wait (not happening), that would be my right.

I am not a pro-musician. Spending $1,599 is a big investment for me- so I will ask questions, thank you very much. I am again, not sorry if some don't approve. In the past, I have read many similar versions of these types of questions. For some reason, because as one person put it "no one has even made a YTube unboxing video yet" some (not all) are finding the timing of my question invalid. Is that the standard now- YTube? So in 3 months- after the requisite number of YTube videos come out, and even with zero additional information available, my question will then be socially acceptable? I would have to ask though, if anyone is so offended of someone asking a couple of relevant questions...wait for it, "in a forum," why are they still coming back to this thread?

Per FAS, there are Rules and Standards of Conduct in this forum which I appreciate and agree with. I believe the spirit of which is, basically contribute positively and add value- or don't comment. IMO, coming down on a member (any member) for asking simple questions seems to go against their standards of conduct. To put it a better way, as Ron Burgundy said, "Let's keep it classy." I would welcome a chance for the moderator to review- and hear what they have to say. I've always contributed positively in here and I fully stand by my questions. Ive also received some great replies. To those people, thank you.

The heart of my two (2) questions were simply...

1. When do you think a MKII model could follow? and...
2. What improvements seem most logical to everyone?

Are those really such outrageous and terrible questions? Many of us are wondering those two exact things. What is the point of a forum, if we can't exchange reasonable ideas and questions freely without all this negativity. Honestly, if this is the worse thing you have to put up with in 2021, you are doing ok.

Lastly- a logical question some might be thinking is- "If you really don't care" why write this long post? The short answer is because this is a great forum. Most of the members in here are outstanding. I have learned a lot from them over the years and I am grateful for that. I would never want a new member to be put off by a few people and their smart comments. I would not want others to feel like they cannot ask simple, respectful and genuine questions (in a forum) out of fear that they might be called out and met with negativity. The vast majority of members in here are very friendly and helpful. That's all I have to say about that.
OK. enough. EVERY statement is NOT directed at you. Have you noticed, there are OTHERS in this thread. You choose to take everything personally. I don't like touchscreens. So what? Has NOTHING to do with you or your repetitive posts. Relax, have a beer. Jeeezzzz!

It's all good Chris but those were the actual questions (verbatim) from my original thread (see page 1.) I literally copied and pasted them.
Those two questions would’ve been answered quite cordially, I’m sure.

But that’s not all you said is it? Your original post quite clearly communicated that you thought the FM9 would…wait let’s just re-examine it.
I am on the waitlist for the FM9. It basically has everything I have been hoping for since the FM3 came out. I would however hate to buy one, only to have a MKII come out- maybe one where the logo illuminates, more memory and a larger, touchscreen. I know it's early to even try and venture a guess, but based on their historic release schedule, when do you think a MKII model could follow? What improvements seem most logical to everyone? Guesses welcome! I would guess, maybe 1 year away and with all the improvements stated above- not sure about the touchscreen though- as nice as that would be. Tone matching would be nice as well. Hey, I can dream!

That reads a lot like:

“Cool the FM9 has everything I wanted! Wait, except an illuminated logo. Oh and more memory. And while we’re at it a bigger screen. Also, a touchscreen would be grand. Oops, almost forgot about tone matching—that too. They’re probably already working on it and even though it’s too early to guess, it’s maybe about a year away. I sure would hate to buy one now and have that happen.”

Man, like @chris said if you’d just asked those couple of simple questions you’d have gotten pretty simple and non-negative responses. But that wasn’t how your original post came across. At least not to me and clearly not to a few others.

C’est la vie.

On the specific questions:
  1. When will there be a MKII? Likely at least a couple of years.
  2. What improvements seem the most logical? I’ll wait a bit before discussing that. I mean…I’d at least like to have one in hand before I start making those kind of judgements; let me enjoy the damn thing will ya? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom