FM9 MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never worry about something I have no control over, that's a waste of time. The FM9 just started shipping so I would sit back wait your turn and enjoy the ride once it's in your hands. Thank God FAS has built this unit it fills many needs for us.
Agreed.

Planned obsolescence and SAS are other ways they keep their recurring revenue streams alive
I think many people tend to over-estimate the extent of deceptively planned obsolescence. Yes, in areas of fast paced technological progress, devices will become obsolete faster given more cycles of improvement/innovation and more frequent paradigm shifts etc, but, when someone tries to convince me (usually without any factual evidence) that obsolescence is being specifically planned and built into specific device parts by reputable/successful organizations in order to force customers to upgrade otherwise still viable devices, I tend to call BS. My Axefx2 is 10+ years old and still viable/competative/resellable for significant$, and my grandkid' 6yr old ipad still runs the latest IOS; thankfully. Have new and improved devices been released since? - Of Course!!, and does the marketing try to convince me I need to upgrade? - Of Course!!, and do I upgrade when I don't really have to? - OF COURSE!!!! :):).

Last edited:
Planned obsolescence and SAS are other ways they keep their recurring revenue streams alive.

So far, planned obsolescence has never been on FAS agenda. Haven't you heard about their firmware upgrades with enhacenments and new features, even for a long time after they release a new product?

They even incuded all that they could from Ares (a feature from the Axe-FX III) at the Axe-FX II after it was out of production, replaced by the Axe-FX III. Just to bring happiness to the users of the old Axe-FX II.

If planned obsolescence and greedy revenue was their thing, they would start by making the presets totally uncompatible, both backwards or forward, between AX8, Axe-FX II, Axe-FX II Mark II, Axe-FX II XL, Axe-FX II XL+, Axe-FX III, Axe FX III Mark II, FM3 and FM9.

Last edited:
...it's really a good value for the price. To get close to all the same tones via actual gear e.g., amps and cabs and effects, it could easily be 10x the cost. I also like that you can play low volumes and still retain the full tone.
10x is an extremely conservative figure.

Let's see... there are 16 phasers, 17 choruses, 16 flangers, 57 drive pedals... that's 106 pedals (not counting the dozens of other types of pedals built in). If you got the bargain of the century and scored each pedal for $100 apiece, that's $10,000 right there. A couple hundred amps... let's say you could get then for an average price of $400 (you couldn't come close to that in real life). That's $80,000. Throw in 500 unique cabs (let's say $300 each) — that's $150,000 in cabs.

Yeow.

I don't want skin in the argument, but look at the resale value of any fractal product. If for some reason you decide you absolutely need the mk II over the mk I, you can likely get 80-90% of your investment back, which is a hell of a good deal if you've been using the mk I for a couple years.
I'm like you in that I like to do a ton of research on a product and be an informed consumer before I make a purchase, especially an expensive one, but there's a point where research becomes obsessing. The FM9 will make you happy and make you play guitar more, reguardless of version.

I agree with @Repartee41. I ALWAYS get the next best unit and have been able to resell my previous model for 80-90% usually within 24 hours. I personally like to go for the 80% range to give another musician the opportunity to jump in for a good discount. At the same time I am keeping Fractal in business by injecting them with some cash. I didn't really need the MKII of the AxeFx III but I am definitely enjoying the enhancements. I'll probably purchase the FM9 and if I don't end up keeping it I'll be able to sell and recoup most of my investment. If it can do most of what I need I'll use it as my live rig and keep the III permanently racked at home. If I keep the FM9 I'll probably also upgrade it if they release a MKII following my personal philosophy of support for products I love.

The problem with waiting for a Mk2 to arrive is you’ll then start worrying a mk3 will be developed.... then what about a mk4....
Just buy the best for your needs at the time you need it and play!

Last edited:
So, waiting on a TECH product (which a modeler is) is ridiculous. Tech changes constantly so how long will you (you being anybody, not OP in particular) to buy something you want? With this logic you will be waiting forever and in the meantime depriving yourself of something you want. Just does not make sense to me.

As mentioned and as an example, I have (like many others here) have owned every Fractal modeler since the Standard (Except the III for me)
I have sold everyone of them at one time or another to get the newest one. Always got bak 80-90%. Always.

Thanks Albert- that's exactly the type of insight I was hoping to get. I definitely don't want to wait 2 years for some potentially minor updates. Even if FAS eventually releases a touchscreen- it probably won't be as reliable. Given their passion for quality products, that is probably why Cliff did not put one on the FM9. It's not that he didn't think of it. They obsess over these types of details. It's one reason why they are the best IMO.
Actually looking at the dates, Axe-Fx III was announced end of January 2018. Mark II was announced Sep 2020. So really, 2.5 years.

I have version 1 and honestly I don't feel like I'm missing anything from the Mark II.

I would think something like a touchscreen they wouldn't to on a "Mark XXX" revision - that would require some extensive UI rework which I would think would be incompatible with a Mark I revision - based on the past - Fractal has never taken that sort of approach.

Last edited:
As mentioned and as an example, I have (like many others here) have owned every Fractal modeler since the Standard (Except the III for me)
I have sold everyone of them at one time or another to get the newest one. Always got bak 80-90%. Always.
Stratman- only caveat is I am not waiting on MKII. I was just curious what others thought. I've been waiting on the FM9 for years!

Actually looking at the dates, Axe-Fx III was announced end of January 2018. Mark II was announced Sep 2020. So really, 2.5 years.

I have version 1 and honestly I don't feel like I'm missing anything from the Mark II.

I would think something like a touchscreen they wouldn't to on a "Mark XXX" revision - that would require some extensive UI rework which I would think would be incompatible with a Mark I revision - based on the past - Fractal has never taken that sort of approach.
AlbertA- I agree. 2-2.5 years out.

Yeah- OK then. I started this thread again just to get a general consensus. It seems most subscribe to the notion it will be about 2+ years for a potential successor to the FM1 v1 to come out. I will venture a guess, in the meantime, there might be something big released like maybe a Axe-FX IV. It's just a guess but I've been pretty accurate with these things. Also, with the highly capable FM9 released (very nearly as capable), I venture to guess that the fine team at FAS will be wanting to really differentiate their flagship product.

I don't plan to wait on a better FM9. This one is great just as it it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom