FM9 -- I'll Miss the Rhino Bars

I used the FM9 on its maiden voyage last night. It performed admirably, even with an errant audience member jumping on stage to try to sing backing vocals into my microphone and a fight breaking out during “Gimme three steps” (the irony). This should give confidence to players who are concerned about playing live in your local stages.

Love playing country gigs. 😂 but I digress

1) Unless you have very large feet, you will NOT hit any of the knobs on switches 1-3. They are very far away. I am 5’8 and wear a size 11. I sing and have to step “blind” when I do. Wasn’t a problem after four sets.

2) Unless you step on switches 1-3 with your heel, you will NOT hit any of the knobs. I would find this technique really awkward and I feel most guitarists would step with ball of their foot or toe.

The FM9 dimensions on the left half of the unit are the same as the FM3. If you haven’t hit any of the knobs on the FM3, you won’t on the FM9.

The great thing is you can always put your less used effects or buttons on the left side so you’re not constantly tapping over there.FDA0E3FA-B958-4E0D-889B-27266D8FD983.jpeg

I used the FM9 on its maiden voyage last night. It performed admirably, even with an errant audience member jumping on stage to try to sing backing vocals into my microphone and a fight breaking out during “Gimme three steps” (the irony). This should give confidence to players who are concerned about playing live in your local stages.

1) Unless you have very large feet, you will NOT hit any of the knobs on switches 1-3. They are very far away. I am 5’8 and wear a size 11. I sing and have to step “blind” when I do. Wasn’t a problem after four sets.

2) Unless you step on switches 1-3 with your heel, you will NOT hit any of the knobs. I would find this technique really awkward and I feel most guitarists would step with ball of their foot or toe.

The FM9 dimensions on the left half of the unit are the same as the FM3. If you haven’t hit any of the knobs on the FM3, you won’t on the FM9.

The great thing is you can always put your less used effects or buttons on the left side so you’re not constantly tapping over there.View attachment 87718
This is good to know. But, please know that I started this thread tongue and cheek. I like the bars but I'm really not concerned. :)

This is good to know. But, please know that I started this thread tongue and cheek. I like the bars but I'm really not concerned. :)
Haha! For sure.

This unit is bulletproof as everything FAS makes it lives in the perfect sweet spot for everyone who is playing the local bar/club to touring professionals.

Even the studio guys will be impressed.

Haha! For sure.

This unit is bulletproof as everything FAS makes it lives in the perfect sweet spot for everyone who is playing the local bar/club to touring professionals.

Even the studio guys will be impressed.
Definitely. The only drawback is that it will not fit in the roller case I currently use for the FM3 plus cables, etc. But, that's not a deal breaker :)

The great thing is you can always put your less used effects or buttons on the left side so you’re not constantly tapping over there.View attachment 87718
How was the visibility of the main screen & scribble strips from on stage? I had some issues with that on the FM3, though it was a day gig outside so not the same.

I imagine being FAS is like meticulously hand-building a 1000hp sports car and then having to listen to complaints about the cup-holder :tonguewink:

But kidding aside I did like the 'rhino bar' on the AX8. Road-worthiness keeps creeping up higher on my list of priorities for all my gear with each passing mile in the van. I would love all recessed or flush knobs, but that probably makes it way too cumbersome for people who are using it at home.

I've also suggested a ground-to-drunk missile system similar to Israel's Iron Dome, but my letters have gone unanswered.

Back
Top Bottom