FM9 -- I'll Miss the Rhino Bars

I've also suggested a ground-to-drunk missile system similar to Israel's Iron Dome, but my letters have gone unanswered.
I would prefer some sort of force field that projects a few feet out in front of the unit and keeps all objects like feet and liquids away.

But a missile system would be much more rock'n'roll.

The great thing is you can always put your less used effects or buttons on the left side so you’re not constantly tapping over there.
I generally do this anyway, as I tap w/ my right foot and like having my most used buttons on the right.

How was the visibility of the main screen & scribble strips from on stage? I had some issues with that on the FM3, though it was a day gig outside so not the same.

Never any visibility problems. Same LEDs as all the other FAS products.

And from the pic above, you saw the lighting in the venue was pretty terrible. No issues seeing my scribble strips etc.

I imagine being FAS is like meticulously hand-building a 1000hp sports car and then having to listen to complaints about the cup-holder :tonguewink:

But kidding aside I did like the 'rhino bar' on the AX8. Road-worthiness keeps creeping up higher on my list of priorities for all my gear with each passing mile in the van. I would love all recessed or flush knobs, but that probably makes it way too cumbersome for people who are using it at home.

I've also suggested a ground-to-drunk missile system similar to Israel's Iron Dome, but my letters have gone unanswered.
Push to resses and expose knobs would have made a killer touch! Mentioned it years ago when the AX8 came out thought it would be a great idea for future floor units, apparently not to many others did.

Push to resses and expose knobs would have made a killer touch! Mentioned it years ago when the AX8 came out thought it would be a great idea for future floor units, apparently not to many others did.
Push-to-recess knobs are cool, but they tend to be more delicate than plain old pots, and they take up extra depth in the case.

Love that middle system!
Thanks
Pauly

I imagine being FAS is like meticulously hand-building a 1000hp sports car and then having to listen to complaints about the cup-holder :tonguewink:

But kidding aside I did like the 'rhino bar' on the AX8. Road-worthiness keeps creeping up higher on my list of priorities for all my gear with each passing mile in the van. I would love all recessed or flush knobs, but that probably makes it way too cumbersome for people who are using it at home.

Push-to-recess knobs are cool, but they tend to be more delicate than plain old pots, and they take up extra depth in the case.
The typical style knob yes! but nothing that a good design process couldn't overcome! Mil-spec PCB's and other robust design implementations have been done in the past with FAS products, this idea isn't any different. It just needs to desire to do it and that is what is missing for this particular issue. I'm not saying it's the only way but it is one way to resolve it aside from a knobless or touch screen solution.

The typical style knob yes! but nothing that a good design process couldn't overcome! Mil-spec PCB's and other robust design implementations have been done in the past with FAS products, this idea isn't any different. It just needs to desire to do it and that is what is missing for this particular issue. I'm not saying it's the only way but it is one way to resolve it aside from a knobless or touch screen solution.
There are mil-spec push/push pots?

There are mil-spec push/push pots?
Don't know, but thats what I'm talking about. If it isn't out there make it! Just like Cliff did with FAS! He wanted a better sounding rack mount guitar processor so he made one. A small button like what we are talking about can't be that hard to design and have it made.

I used the FM9 on its maiden voyage last night. It performed admirably, even with an errant audience member jumping on stage to try to sing backing vocals into my microphone and a fight breaking out during “Gimme three steps” (the irony). This should give confidence to players who are concerned about playing live in your local stages.

Love playing country gigs. 😂 but I digress

1) Unless you have very large feet, you will NOT hit any of the knobs on switches 1-3. They are very far away. I am 5’8 and wear a size 11. I sing and have to step “blind” when I do. Wasn’t a problem after four sets.

2) Unless you step on switches 1-3 with your heel, you will NOT hit any of the knobs. I would find this technique really awkward and I feel most guitarists would step with ball of their foot or toe.

The FM9 dimensions on the left half of the unit are the same as the FM3. If you haven’t hit any of the knobs on the FM3, you won’t on the FM9.

The great thing is you can always put your less used effects or buttons on the left side so you’re not constantly tapping over there.View attachment 87718
Fights during "Gimme Three Steps" are required.. lol

Back
Top Bottom