Not a Bug FM9 Forgets Bypass State

lwknives

Power User
My FM9 is intermittently forgetting bypass states of blocks when it is power cycled.
I played a set and when I got home tone was completely different because a block was not enabled.
I also have blocks that are always on and after re starting the unit they will be off.
I currently have to go into the grid on startup and double check the bypass states of all my blocks before I start playing.

Do the blocks have modifiers attached to them that use autoengage? Or assigned to Bypass?

Are you sure you're saving the changes on the default scene of the preset?

You don't say what firmware version you're using...

If this was a bug then I think many people would report this issue.

Are you using the editor or front panel to edit presets?

Do the blocks have modifiers attached to them that use autoengage? Or assigned to Bypass?

Are you sure you're saving the changes on the default scene of the preset?

You don't say what firmware version you're using...

If this was a bug then I think many people would report this issue.

Are you using the editor or front panel to edit presets?
No modifiers. No auto engage. One example is an always on compressor…

I am saving the preset before shutting the unit down.

FW 4.01

Definitely could be something I’m doing…
The blocks do have scene ignore on all channels.

Im using the front panel mostly but this happens even if I don’t edit anything.

If saving from the front panel, you have to press ENTER twice.

It is possible that it's related to Scene Ignore.

If you upload a preset that can help diagnose the issue.

I'm away from home for a week so I can't help with that.

Even if I didn’t save the preset correctly I didn’t change the bypass states of the blocks so they should be recalled same as last saved I would expect.

The most likely explanation is the default scene you're getting when loading the preset after rebooting is a different scene than you were last using.
All these blocks have scene ignore selected ( for all channels). I would think it wouldn’t matter what scene was loaded.

Its happening randomly (seemingly) to the pitch, the filter 1, the Plex Delay, the Comp and the reverb 1 so far. It doesn't seem to repeat. Ive attached the preset and my foot switch layouts.

Attachments

• AC20 PW amp gain mono.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Messed around with this last night, it has also changed the amp 1 channel on me. I don’t even have the amps set up to use any channel other than A…
I think I have been able to fix the behavior by saving and rebooting from each scene. That’s a lot of rebooting to get the bypass states saved though.

For those wanting to reproduce the issue this is the sequence to make it happen.
Start unit and go to preset.
Go to the grid and observe the blocks bypass states.
Change to a different scene.
(Nothing should change but delay 1 ch).
Save the preset.
Reboot the unit.
Go to the grid again to check bypass states.
Sometimes multiple blocks have had their bypass states changed.

For those wanting to reproduce the issue this is the sequence to make it happen.
Start unit and go to preset.
Go to the grid and observe the blocks bypass states.
Change to a different scene.
(Nothing should change but delay 1 ch).
Save the preset.
Reboot the unit.
Go to the grid again to check bypass states.
Sometimes multiple blocks have had their bypass states changed.
I assume you mean using your example preset?

Are you experiencing this on any other presets?

Loaded the preset om my FM9 (not Turbo). Its overall CPU usage is too high (> 80%).

Also, you have a lot of modifiers. Some of them, like Amp Input Drive, are notorious CPU hoggers. And you have them on the Delay block too. The FM9 has multiple DSPs, dedicated to different tasks. It's possible that these things are overloading those DSPs.

I have the Turbo so I’m only running 73%-76%.
I only got the unit about 2 weeks ago (new from fractal) I haven’t tried any other presets other than ones that I directly copied from this one and set up different amps. They have the same issue.

I'd try this.

Turn off Scene Ignore.
Set the state of the block to Bypassed or Engaged in every scene.
Turn Scene Ignore back on.
Save the preset.

I'd try this.

Turn off Scene Ignore.
Save the preset.
That’s originally how I created the preset. That’s a lot of work to go through because I have scene ignore on for all blocks except delay 1.
I’m thinking it’s a bug because I would expect if I save a preset it will open back up with the bypass states the same as when the preset was saved…

Once scene ignore is ON, I don't know what would be saved.
So the way it works is the preset saves the bypass state of the block before scene ignore was activated?
So once you activate scene ignore the preset won’t save the current bypass state of the blocks but whatever it was before scene ignore was activated?
I was expecting that with scene ignore activated the preset would save the bypass state. It sounds like presets don’t save bypass states or channels, scenes do. So with scene ignore selected the scene doesn’t know what state to save the block so it goes back to the last saved state before scene ignore was activated.
Am I understanding this correctly?

I'd try this.

Turn off Scene Ignore.
Save the preset.
Confirmed that this works.
Apparently not a bug, just built into the way presets are saved.
Lessons learned:
Save the scenes in what you want to be the default bypass state before turning on Scene Ignore. This applies to channels as well.

Back
Top Bottom