FM9 Footswitches feel a little rough while pressing them

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidsin

Inspired
I bought the FM9 when it came out, and always used toppers. Recently I realized, the footswitches were a little rough while pressing down on them, not as smooth as my Fc-12. I thought the toppers were to be blamed, but the roughness remains even after removing the toppers.

Any tips? Or should I reach out to support?

Yea two of my FM9 switches are "crunchy" feeling. Definitely gonna be a problem in the future at some point. Might be contacting fractal about getting that squared away under warranty.

We talked about this in support before I saw your forum post. Lithium grease with a Q-Tip should solve this for you.
So do these switches have lithium grease from the factory and maybe a few could use a reapplication? Or are they normally dry, and the lithium grease is the offered solution for switches that seem to be grinding?

No toppers here btw. And two of my switches are most definitely getting worse. When I first got the fm9 I didn't notice anything amiss. Then I thought I might have been feeling one rub, then another. Now one is definitely grindin g.

So do these switches have lithium grease from the factory and maybe a few could use a reapplication? Or are they normally dry, and the lithium grease is the offered solution for switches that seem to be grinding?
I think it's the luck of the draw.
Never had a problem with the switches, and I've had many, many foot controllers from fractal. On one of them though, two of the switches had this rough, crunchy feel. A little lithium grease handled it completely. Been good for years now.

Maybe the inner and outer parts (for lack of better terms) are on the tight end of the tolerance on some units.

Damnit I replied in the wrong thread.
Either way, my worst feeling button just failed on my FM9. No flashing light, won't select a scene, won't bank my presets down. So I'm not particularly thrilled right now, but this thing has to go back to Fractal because it's apparently more than just a crunchy feeling button.

I think it's the luck of the draw.
Never had a problem with the switches, and I've had many, many foot controllers from fractal. On one of them though, two of the switches had this rough, crunchy feel. A little lithium grease handled it completely. Been good for years now.
Me, too... But this seems to be a "thing" with FM9s for some reason.

I've have used over 1000 different switches on gear over the last thirty years. I've had to lubricate exactly zero of them, and had exactly one switch fail on me previously after a guitar cab got dragged across my pedal board physically damaging it.
Now my basically brand new FM9 has 4 crunchy switches and one that has completely failed already. This thing has been babied the two months I've owned it, as it is by far the most expensive piece of gear I've ever sat on the floor. Fractals track record of building damn near military quality gear is the reason I had the confidence in the product to invest so much into such a crucial piece of gear that will spend it's life on the floor. No gigs, has only left the house once as I use my Ultra at practice still as I'm still creating patches for the fm9.
So it seems fractal got a batch of bad switches, and it's more then just the physical crunch and will lead to switch failure sooner or later. ( How can it not? It you feel these switches grinding, you're removing material like sanding or filing would, and that debris has to go somewhere, and eventually cause what I'm experiencing.
So I'm outside the return window, but really second guessing my purchase now. Not because it doesn't sound glorious and is easy to use, it's both those things. But if a $5 component takes down my $2000 rig after two months of light duty home use, what am I going to deal with in two years when my unit is out of warranty as well?

I am assuming that maybe Fractal has had some footswitches fail on the current generation of products, but I honestly don't recall anyone else on the forum saying they have had a straight up footswitch failure. Everyone who has had some "crunchy" switches and has lubed them (including myself) has been able to remedy the symptom and had no further issues.

I'm not willing to say the sky is falling and Fractal is having major footswitch problems. I am confident in the reliability of all my Fractal gear, enough that I use it weekly in live broadcast situations.

I am assuming that maybe Fractal has had some footswitches fail on the current generation of products, but I honestly don't recall anyone else on the forum saying they have had a straight up footswitch failure. Everyone who has had some "crunchy" switches and has lubed them (including myself) has been able to remedy the symptom and had no further issues.

I'm not willing to say the sky is falling and Fractal is having major footswitch problems. I am confident in the reliability of all my Fractal gear, enough that I use it weekly in live broadcast situations.
Nope I'm the first. That's just how my luck goes, I was blessed to get one in the first place, cursed to have the worst one made! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom