FM9 Firmware Version 4.01

It's also worth noting that the input is designed so that even if it clips, it still sounds musically pleasant. This is in line with the fact that many of you appear to be lowering levels today that were "fine" yesterday.

On that note, I used to be shocked at the number of pro rigs I checked out where the levels were overloading (in and/or out). In fact, one guy did this ON PURPOSE.

It's also worth noting that the input is designed so that even if it clips, it still sounds musically pleasant. This is in line with the fact that many of you appear to be lowering levels today that were "fine" yesterday.

On that note, I used to be shocked at the number of pro rigs I checked out where the levels were overloading (in and/or out). In fact, one guy did this ON PURPOSE.
i've definitely seen some pros with the Axe3 on stage and the red light constantly going. sounded great!

for my majesty guitar, the Volume Pot is a Push-Push and adds up to 20dB, i think i'm set around 10dB or so. when i enable that, i definitely "clip" but it still sounds great.

i do think these changes are a great addition, as i think a lot of "just got the axe it doesn't sound good" could be from saturating the input too much or something like that. as a choice, and temporarily, it may work. but as a baseline, it might skew the results.

PS: I just checked and +16 dBu corresponds to 4.9 V, I couldn't even imagine that a guitar could produce such a high output!
Does it have active pickups/preamp and is it powered at 18v?
The instrument input max voltage is about +/- 5.9V (11.8Vpp = about 17.5 dBu).

Inputs 2/3 can handle up to around 11V (about 23 dBu).

People are just getting hung up on the value. If you need to set it to 5% then set it to 5%. Don't worry about it seeming low. It's just because it's a linear control.

The instrument input max voltage is about +/- 5.9V (11.8Vpp = about 17.5 dBu).

Inputs 2/3 can handle up to around 11V (about 23 dBu).

People are just getting hung up on the value. If you need to set it to 5% then set it to 5%. Don't worry about it seeming low. It's just because it's a linear control.
To be clear and speaking for myself, I'm not bothered by the value. I'm clipping the input regardless of the value--that was the point of my original comment.

You should send your unit in for evaluation then. That doesn't seem right. I can't imagine any passive guitar putting out 12Vpp.

For anyone following along, be sure to see the edit.

I can do that, but to your point, it doesn't seem my guitar is putting out 12Vpp. I connected my Majesty to my Klein MM400 DMM and set it to capture the maximum ac rms voltage. The DMM read 3.166VRMS, so just shy of 9Vpp. That was with the onboard boost engaged and chugging hard, so that's as darn near maximum output as I can get. To reiterate from my first comment, my FM9 is indicating clipping even without the boost engaged. Even if the equipment and method I used aren't ideal, I seem to have a good bit of margin between my output and the maximum input.

If there's anything I can or should do to help investigate this further, I can take it offline with support, if that would be your suggestion.

Edit: I checked the MM400 spec, and the frequency range on the voltage meter is only 50-60Hz. Good for measuring mains, not for catching fast transients. I'd need to test this on an oscilloscope with greater bandwidth.

IMG_5476.jpeg

Last edited:
I can do that, but to your point, it doesn't seem my guitar is putting out 12Vpp. I connected my Majesty to my Klein MM400 DMM and set it to capture the maximum ac rms voltage. The DMM read 3.166VRMS, so just shy of 9Vpp. That was with the onboard boost engaged and chugging hard, so that's as darn near maximum output as I can get. To reiterate from my first comment, my FM9 is indicating clipping even without the boost engaged. Even if the equipment and method I used aren't ideal, I seem to have a good bit of margin between my output and the maximum input.

If there's anything I can or should do to help investigate this further, I can take it offline with support, if that would be your suggestion.

View attachment 119017
I'm not sure a DMM can detect high frequencies and/or quick transients though

For anyone following along, be sure to see the edit.

Edit: I checked the MM400 spec, and the frequency range on the voltage meter is only 50-60Hz. Good for measuring mains, not for catching fast transients. I'd need to test this on an oscilloscope with greater bandwidth.

View attachment 119017
I sent you a PM with instructions.

It doesn't "blow up the input". There's nothing fundamentally wrong with setting it to 8%. You can set is as low as 0% with no detrimental effect.
There's a bit of hyperbole there, nothing actually "blows up", but the red clip light stays constantly lit above 8-10% regardless of my guitar. Also full transparency I also play through various mid tier wireless systems almost exclusively, so don't know or personally care how much that comes into play because I'm not going back to a cable lol. I just set it to that oddly low value and it's working for me. But it's not an issue related to the active preamp in the Majesty, as the old RG with passive dimarzios also requires a surprisingly low value.
If it works, it works for sure. But it does somehow feel wrong to set it that far to the extreme. It's a control I'd expect to have a much more usable range and to be closer to 50%, and I suspect many others find themselves feeling the same way, thinking to ourselves, "there's no way this can be right, if I have to set this to 5% what in the world would you ever use 100% for, I must be doing SOMETHING wrong."

I thought this one was supposed to have the new larger font in the main display window. I loaded it by don’t see a way to make the main display font larger.
It's there. From the release notes:

• New large fonts display mode for the main Presets/Scenes view (Home page of the Home menu). Turn Knob B (“Zoom”) to switch
    between small fonts and large fonts. In Large mode:
  • ○ Turn the Value knob and then press ENTER to change the preset. (Presets are shown in “preview” as dim text until you press Enter.) When previewing presets, NAV left/right = -1/+1 preset and NAV down/up = -10/+10 presets.
  • ○ Once any preset is loaded,use NAV keys to change scenes.

Is the new Input (IN1) signal clipping warning supposed to be different from the front panel input 1 meter LEDs? A red LED on the front panel should mean a level of -6dB but with the new signal clipping warning, I'm reading many are having to dial their input trims down quite extensively.

It's there. From the release notes:

• New large fonts display mode for the main Presets/Scenes view (Home page of the Home menu). Turn Knob B (“Zoom”) to switch
    between small fonts and large fonts. In Large mode:
  • ○ Turn the Value knob and then press ENTER to change the preset. (Presets are shown in “preview” as dim text until you press Enter.) When previewing presets, NAV left/right = -1/+1 preset and NAV down/up = -10/+10 presets.
  • ○ Once any preset is loaded,use NAV keys to change scenes.

When do we get the larger font in the main display? This update didn’t do it.
See above.

Back
Top Bottom