FM9 Firmware Version 4.00

I am not one to notice slight tone changes, so I wasn't sure I was going to have the same experience with this release as others are saying. But WOW! Immediately noticeable. It's big and full and power tubey. I have to re-level everything, but it's fun to do when it sounds this good. The only amps I use are Matchbox D-30 and Vibrato Verb AB (in stereo). Their levels are affected differently, and it seems their tone also. Both sound amazing.

I reverse engineered Cliff's source code, and I see this line, which is interesting:

C:
amazingness *= 1.02

Can't wait till he bumps that up again.

I am not one to notice slight tone changes, so I wasn't sure I was going to have the same experience with this release as others are saying. But WOW! Immediately noticeable. It's big and full and power tubey. I have to re-level everything, but it's fun to do when it sounds this good. The only amps I use are Matchbox D-30 and Vibrato Verb AB (in stereo). Their levels are affected differently, and it seems their tone also. Both sound amazing.

I reverse engineered Cliff's source code, and I see this line, which is interesting:

C:
amazingness *= 1.02

Haha!

Is this equivalent to all the updates in the most recent AXE 3 update? Looks like a few minute updates aren't listed here - not sure if it was just forgotten in the description of the beta

Just updated this, with latest FM9-Edit, and did a refresh in the app. Some of my presets seem to have really spiked in volume, particularly in the lead scenes, even the Factory preset 000 lead scene which I haven't modified was maxing out when preset leveling. Crushingly loud. Is this normal, in other words, would you expect that upgrading to this firmware would require re-leveling presets, even factory ones?
I have run into a similar result. I just build a setlist of 5 presets on 4.0 beta.
After updating to the current final release, I had to re-level a few of the preset as the levels defiantly changed.
Not unexpected when running a beta firmware. Pretty much the price of admission.

I have run into a similar result. I just build a setlist of 5 presets on 4.0 beta.
After updating to the current final release, I had to re-level a few of the preset as the levels defiantly changed.
Not unexpected when running a beta firmware. Pretty much the price of admission.

Not having any issues with mine, tested my gigging presets and tried a new one and no volume issues

Is this equivalent to all the updates in the most recent AXE 3 update? Looks like a few minute updates aren't listed here - not sure if it was just forgotten in the description of the beta
Yes they are exactly the same at 21 and 4.0
There was a ton of stuff so I am sure likely just missed in release notes

I’ve seen the videos on the griddle cake/hot cake drive and I love everything about it. But what exactly is it supposed to be used for? Yes, I will experiment and play around with my ears for what sounds best, but I’m just curious. Is it an overdrive or just a distortion with its own flavor going on?

I’ve seen the videos on the griddle cake/hot cake drive and I love everything about it. But what exactly is it supposed to be used for? Yes, I will experiment and play around with my ears for what sounds best, but I’m just curious. Is it an overdrive or just a distortion with its own flavor going on?
It’s kind of both at low settings it’s more of a boost with settings above
Noon it goes more into a drive box
Works well on clean crunch or EOB stuff

Upgrade from where? (beta?; earlier?)
AFAIK, some of that is indeed expected.

Yikes, I turned off Power amp and Cab modeling for a crap situation where I used a (groan) keyboard amp- the one time I ever used that workaround, and my next action was the FW download. Explains the volume jump in my presets, and also my underwhelming 1st impression with the new firmware!

Yikes, I turned off Power amp and Cab modeling for a crap situation where I used a (groan) keyboard amp- the one time I ever used that workaround, and my next action was the FW download. Explains the volume jump in my presets, and also my underwhelming 1st impression with the new firmware!
That would explain it for sure!

Curious though about turning off the Power Amp modeling. I'd assume the keyboard amp was solid state it would have been better with Amp modeling enabled.

A couple oddities maybe you experts have some insight into.

I'm going through @Cooper Carter's FM9 masterclass with my FM9 in front of me. His unit is on v3.0 but mine is on firmware v4.0. A couple differences I've noticed:
1. In Settings > I/O > Audio tab - under "USB Output Mapping", Cooper is showing there's a USB Buffer Size setting line item. That item is MISSING in my unit. It merely starts the next section of settings under INPUT CONFIG.
2. In Settings > Utilities - Cooper is showing that there's a "USB" tab between Reset and Version. But on mine, it's MISSING. My tabs on the Utilities screen are: Display | ADC Levels | Reset | Version.

Interesting that both of those are USB related.

Did they accidentally get removed/hidden in Firmware v4.0?

A couple oddities maybe you experts have some insight into.

I'm going through @Cooper Carter's FM9 masterclass with my FM9 in front of me. His unit is on v3.0 but mine is on firmware v4.0. A couple differences I've noticed:
1. In Settings > I/O > Audio tab - under "USB Output Mapping", Cooper is showing there's a USB Buffer Size setting line item. That item is MISSING in my unit. It merely starts the next section of settings under INPUT CONFIG.
2. In Settings > Utilities - Cooper is showing that there's a "USB" tab between Reset and Version. But on mine, it's MISSING. My tabs on the Utilities screen are: Display | ADC Levels | Reset | Version.

Interesting that both of those are USB related.

Did they accidentally get removed/hidden in Firmware v4.0?

These parameters were removed with USB FW 1.01.
I'll add a note to that section.

Last edited:

C:
amazingness *= 1.02

I'm a heavy user of the D30 in my presets and was trying to characterize what I was hearing - it felt like a ton more treble content (but not necessarily 'presence') jumping out and hitting me - almost like a ton more of that "broken glass" tone, especially on single coil neck pickups. I spent a while going through them all and dialing back the ideal High Treble control a bit to take some of the edge off, but I usually try to avoid going to the ideal tab first... Perhaps I need to take another swipe at re-leveling...

Back
Top Bottom