FM9 Firmware Version 4.00 public beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_brown

Fractal Audio Systems
FM9 Firmware Version 4.00 public beta 2 is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm9/4p0/fm9_dsp_rel_4p00_beta_2.syx

The same version of FM9-Edit as used with firmware 4.00 public beta 1 is used, 1.01.03:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-edit-1-01-03-to-support-fw-4-00-public-beta-1.189064/

IMPORTANT NOTE: Starting with firmware 3.00, FM9-Edit 1.01.00 (or greater) is required to communicate with the FM9. Previous versions of FM9-Edit (versions 1.00.06 or less) are not compatible with firmware 3.00 or greater. FM9-Edit 1.01.00 (or greater) is not compatible with previous firmware versions 1.0 through 2.02.

Version 4.0 - November 23, 2022​

FM9 firmware version 4.00 implements Fractal Audio Systems “Cygnus X-2” amplifier modeling. The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon loading.

New Features​

• Added new amp models: "Brit Studio 20" and “Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped” and “Herbie MK3”.
  • Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor, the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.
  • Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.
  • Added “Griddle Cake” Drive model based on a Crowther Hot Cake. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.
  • Improved the amp block output transformer algorithm. The new algorithm more accurately models B-H curve, resulting in a clearer low end. The new algorithm now also accounts for the effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
  • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics and improved low frequency accuracy.
  • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
  • Improved triode algorithm which more accurately models plate bypass capacitors.
  • Improved Drive block modeling to more accurately model effects of op-amp finite open-loop gain and GBW product.
  • The CPU overload condition is now re-evaluated when a new preset is loaded via the edit buffer from FM9-Edit.

Updates​

• All amp models are updated for use with Cygnus X-2.
  • The Ideal amp controls have been updated.
  • Renamed USA Clean to USA Rhythm 1 to be more in line with actual amp.
  • MIDI clock data at the MIDI In DIN connector will cause the “MIDI IN” LED to be on.

Fixes​

• Normally closed type stand-in switches operate properly.
  • FC “Banner Messages” being displayed doesn’t cause the entire LCD to redraw.
  • The external SPDIF clock will be used automatically after boot when signal is preset and SPDIF Word Clock mode is selected.
  • The Reverb effect wet/dry mixing strategy is changed to match the latest Axe FX III method.
  • The AMP effect speaker impedance curve graph is now calculated using the same method as the Axe FX III.
  • The Foot Controller layout will not inadvertently be changed when using controls that cause “Banner Messages” to be displayed.
  • External foot controller stand-in switch assignment mapping is corrected.
  • Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.
  • Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models.
  • Fixed low frequency behavior of Recto2 models due to loss of precision.
  • Fixed wrong treble pot taper in CA3+ models.
  • Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model.
  • Fixed wrong resistor value in AC-20 12AX7 models.
  • Fixed wrong Depth knob taper in Archean models.
  • MIDI PC Mapping “To Scene” function is corrected.
  • The “Scene Revert” setting is taken into account when recalling a scene with a MIDI CC command.
  • “Prompt on Edited Preset Change” dialog displays when changing preset via footcontroller.
  • Fixed rare issue that could cause data corruption in Delay and Reverb blocks resulting in blocks outputting noise.
  • High Treble control is enabled.

Beta is sounding great indeed. Just got back from rehearsal and was definitely digging my sounds. I did not adjust anything just loaded the firmware and off to the races! Will get beta 2 loaded today. I had zero issues with beta 1.

Thanks to FAS' hard-working team that helps insure that we receive the same level of customer service that both the Axe III & FM3 owners receive.

It's very much appreciated that this update arrived a day before a significant time when families express their thanks for what they've received the past year.

It is with this mindset that I am thankful for what FAS provides for us as a service to others.

I want to echo the thanks to Cliff (and the gang? Is there a gang?) for all the hard work on the latest firmware. I own – and have owned – many great pieces of hardware: amps, virtual amps, pedals, rack gear, etc. Nothing touches Fractal. Not even close. And that's an understatement, because English sucks and I can't emphasize enough how superior Fractal gear is. This is based on decades of tone-chasing and absolutely ridiculous amounts of money spent along the way. Sans Fractal, the very closest I can come in the studio – and I'm talking highest quality sonically – are UAFX pedals, and maybe throw in the Halo and the LVX. That's a pretty delicious combo. But it's a tiny fraction of what an AFX3/FM9/FM3 can do. And it's ultimately more expensive, takes up more space, and comes with a polyglot menagerie of disparate software editors (some pretty lame). Another example: I have a brand new amazing amp head in the studio that has a reactive load with stereo cab sim outs. I'm also using its speaker out into an OX. (I can switch between those with a backside push-button.) It's a really, really good amp. But compared to my AFX3/FM9? It's "very okay". That's it. If I'd never been a Fractal owner, I wouldn't know the difference. But my ears and brain have been irreversibly ruined by Fractal. That could seem like sycophancy, but it isn't. It's just a fact of my experience. I've tried to Fractal without Fractal three or four times over the past 12 years – selling my then-current AFX to try to Frankenstein together something magical. After a while, I end up right back here ordering another AFX. I'm a gearhead, and I'll always have other gear, for studio funsies. But the most gorgeous tones come from the AFX.

I want to echo the thanks to Cliff (and the gang? Is there a gang?) for all the hard work on the latest firmware. I own – and have owned – many great pieces of hardware: amps, virtual amps, pedals, rack gear, etc. Nothing touches Fractal. Not even close. And that's an understatement, because English sucks and I can't emphasize enough how superior Fractal gear is. This is based on decades of tone-chasing and absolutely ridiculous amounts of money spent along the way. Sans Fractal, the very closest I can come in the studio – and I'm talking highest quality sonically – are UAFX pedals, and maybe throw in the Halo and the LVX. That's a pretty delicious combo. But it's a tiny fraction of what an AFX3/FM9/FM3 can do. And it's ultimately more expensive, takes up more space, and comes with a polyglot menagerie of disparate software editors (some pretty lame). Another example: I have a brand new amazing amp head in the studio that has a reactive load with stereo cab sim outs. I'm also using its speaker out into an OX. (I can switch between those with a backside push-button.) It's a really, really good amp. But compared to my AFX3/FM9? It's "very okay". That's it. If I'd never been a Fractal owner, I wouldn't know the difference. But my ears and brain have been irreversibly ruined by Fractal. That could seem like sycophancy, but it isn't. It's just a fact of my experience. I've tried to Fractal without Fractal three or four times over the past 12 years – selling my then-current AFX to try to Frankenstein together something magical. After a while, I end up right back here ordering another AFX. I'm a gearhead, and I'll always have other gear, for studio funsies. But the most gorgeous tones come from the AFX.
I agree. I have owned several collectible amps over the years, including a mint condition 1985 Mesa MKIIC+ that I bought in high school (1990) for $400 lol. Over the years I've bought & sold amps, and built up several pedalboards. My latest was a huge PT Pro sized board with a Strymon Mobius, Timeline, H9 Max, GigRig G2 switcher, Xotic Wah, drive, and compressor, a couple boutique drives, etc. It was 60 lbs in its roadcase. I lugged that around with a tube halfstack for years. Then I bought a Helix, and eventually parted out the board. I ran the Helix into my fx return, and gigged that way for several more years, because I was convinced I needed the tubes in order to sound good. Eventually, I sold off the last of my amps, and used a powered FRFR, or a solid state amp with the Marshall 412 cab I saved. I've been exclusively Fractal now for over 2 years (FM# & FM9) and it's fantastic. The Helix was a great way to get into modelers, and the UI was really innovative, but the Fractal is a whole new level. I love the depth and detail the unit provides, and the editor is exceptional. I can get any tones I can think up, and my sounds are consistent every time, from recording to live use. I can travel by airlines, because my FM9 case fits in the overhead bin. So unbelievably convenient and powerful. I love it, and don't ever see myself going back an old school tube head & pedalboard type rig. I don't even bat an eye and new pedal demos etc. :smile:

Anyway, sorry to side track things. Thanks Fractal! This new beta sounds killer - no issues after playing it for several hours.

Last edited:
I just loaded up the newest fw4 beta and before I even made a sound with it I was immediately impressed at how much lower my usual presets were hitting the CPU meter. Seems like my gigging presets are all 6 to 11% lower on cpu. Nice! I'll gig it tomorrow and report back.

This sounds great! I haven't had a whole lot of playing time lately, but I can tell the difference in how the amps feel. Lots of really cool stuff in this update, too. I'm a happy camper.

I just sent a support ticket in for a possible bug in FM9 FW4 Beta 1. I did a gig with the FM9 Wednesday night with no issues. First gig with it so I took mental notes on some tweaks that needed to be made before tonights gig. While making those tweaks this morning the unit suddenly stopping putting out audio via SPDIF. The XLR's were not connected so I don't know if they were affected. All cables were connected, interface and iMac settings were correct so I power cycled the FM9. That worked. I just updated to Beta 2 and will be using the unit most of today...
Anybody else running FW4 Beta 1 have this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom