FM9 Firmware Version 4.00 public beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not available on the FM* units. They don't have enough extra memory and maybe not enough CPU.

From "FullRes" in the Wiki:

The FM* and FX3 Mk I have the same memory size.

The FX3 has 2x the CPU of an FM9.
Makes sense, I suppose I could use my Daw with some software to load FULL IR's if I wanted FullRes with my FM9T . Could even setup a laptop on stage and run it live if needed. Still I can't get over how stupid good this update sounds, not even sure I need FullRes, the system is sounding so amazing as is.

Makes sense, I suppose I could use my Daw with some software to load FULL IR's if I wanted FullRes with my FM9T . Could even setup a laptop on stage and run it live if needed. Still I can't get over how stupid good this update sounds, not even sure I need FullRes, the system is sounding so amazing as is.
FullRes is really designed to simulate a space (room)... Why would you possibly want that live? I mean, I guess if you used it with in-ears only it might have some worth in that scenario.

Back to the same page in the Wiki…
FullRes IRs are intended to capture "room mics" and reproduce these when recording or when playing through headphones. Room mics are sometimes mixed in to increase the depth and liveliness of recordings. They allow capturing the full response of a typical live room and even the response of small-to-medium halls and clubs.
"FullRes is not intended for live performances. It's intended for recording and headphone use." [35]
"The point of FullRes IRs is to add some room sound to your recordings and/or headphone playing. To do this you would mix conventional IRs with FullRes IRs." [37]

Adding a FullRes IR into an on-stage sound is just adding additional clutter to the sound and the added detail will be lost. In a recording studio with very controlled sound, or with headphones, they work, but I wouldn't bother on stage. A lot of people don't even add reverb to their stage presets because the room acoustics already add enough reverb; Adding more just makes the guitar recede into the overall wash of the room.

Back to the same page in the Wiki…

Adding a FullRes IR into an on-stage sound is just adding additional clutter to the sound and the added detail will be lost. In a recording studio with very controlled sound, or with headphones, they work, but I wouldn't bother on stage. A lot of people don't even add reverb to their stage presets because the room acoustics already add enough reverb; Adding more just makes the guitar recede into the overall wash of the room.
Cool so I can do it when recording, which is fine with me, since doing so live would make it crappy by what the wiki says. Ok now you got me thinking, going to find some quality IR loading software for my daw, that can handle FullRes Ir's

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

FullRes is really designed to simulate a space (room)... Why would you possibly want that live? I mean, I guess if you used it with in-ears only it might have some worth in that scenario.
Exactly In Ears, then it would be like headphones, just wouldn't run it front of house.

I found an IR loader that can handle FullRes so now my FM9T can run FullRes when I record at home through headphones or use my in ears on stage, well that was easy. Thanks for the discussion gents, was really helpful!

Quite probly placebo effect, but this iteration sounds to me even better than on the III………
..!?!
Really? I had the III but it was a few months back. I have to admit I'm still shitting myself on how good the FM9T sounds after this update, it's almost like am I just imagining but then I go back and check out older recordings and it's a huge improvement. Cool to see it's not just me.

Except you're going to get some latency running in a DAW...
Interesting, I will test it out, latency is something I make sure is VERY Low. I just built a beast of a machine that has around 2ms with 64 buffer size. So long as I keep it below 4ms to 5ms I don't notice it, I remember noticing some latency when it went over 7ms or maybe it was 9ms which I haven't had it that bad for years.

They're not available on the FM* units. They don't have enough extra memory and maybe not enough CPU.
From "FullRes" in the Wiki:
The FM* and FX3 Mk I have the same memory size.
The FX3 has 2x the CPU of an FM9.

Yea, I don't know if it is a CPU Power issue, or a CPU Availability issue on FM9? With this beta and FM9 turbo, I could see my patches having 35% CPU availably (before hitting 80%), so was just wishing if its a CPU Availability issue, not a processing power/clock speed issue.

I don't think it is as much a memory issue, as the Mk I does have some FullRes IR's loaded over the old legacy IR area (prob need to update the Wiki)... and I still have 1000 user IR slots vacant anyway on FM9... seems that's a design decision, rather than a hardware limitation.

Concerning using them Live, I offer the same old 'use your ears' comment - I have used IEM for years, and never had a better sound with my FX3 Mk1 than I did using FullRes, in FOH and in my ears. And both experiences matter to me. If I sound better to me, I play better, I enjoy it more, etc...

I also love the sound I am getting with the FM9 with this beta ... and I will always be looking for better.

Yea, I don't know if it is a CPU Power issue, or a CPU Availability issue on FM9? With this beta and FM9 turbo, I could see my patches having 35% CPU availably (before hitting 80%), so was just wishing if its a CPU Availability issue, not a processing power/clock speed issue.

I don't think it is as much a memory issue, as the Mk I does have some FullRes IR's loaded over the old legacy IR area (prob need to update the Wiki)... and I still have 1000 user IR slots vacant anyway on FM9... seems that's a design decision, rather than a hardware limitation.

Concerning using them Live, I offer the same old 'use your ears' comment - I have used IEM for years, and never had a better sound with my FX3 Mk1 than I did using FullRes, in FOH and in my ears. And both experiences matter to me. If I sound better to me, I play better, I enjoy it more, etc...

I also love the sound I am getting with the FM9 with this beta ... and I will always be looking for better.
Thanks my man, I was thinking the same thing with the IEM's and my FM9 using FullRes, sure I will have to use a laptop and a IR loader, luckily I have a MSI GE76 laptop I can use live, which is very low on the latency so that shouldn't be an issue. I can't confirm all this as of yet, just a theory.

For my studio I just built a beast of a machine, ultra low latency with my audio interface which can connect to the FM9 so many ways, including SPDIF though I haven't connected that way yet.

I don't know that I've ever posted on an update thread, despite having owned Fractal, Kemper, and Line 6 units, but can't help myself this time. This update is amazing, especially in the clean and edge-of-breakup spaces. The 59 Bassman is now alive in ways I've never heard before and I just lost an hour playing and creating a Wreckers Liverpool bank. That it saved a few percentage points on the CPU is just icing on the cake!

Like others have posted, this update is amazing. It's easy to install, coming from a new Fractal user.
The Boss Katana firmware was hard to understand and use. The FM9 editor made the firmware update easy for an older musician like myself. Thanks FAS.

Big thanks to Cliff and everyone involved in this FW!!!
After hearing it in the Axe3 for the first time yesterday, I decided to dive in for FM9 4.0b1--Holy crap! Everything's got special sauce! I made some minor tweaks to my new RV50 preset, but that's about it...new Brit 800 and Studio 20 presets are next.

In my AX8 I never used more than two amps for either band's gigs, and have been using the Axe3 and FM9 the same way (BE and Bassman) until this last few months of FW goodness. I am now using a Citrus RV50, Friedman BE V3, 59 Bassguy, AC20 EF86 Treble, Wrecker Express, Class A 30 Hot, Brit JM45, and Double Verb Normal (and about to dial up at least one more Marshall).

Probably gonna need to revisit everything. I tried a few others, like Cornford, Atomica, and SLO but always came back to the BE100...maybe not this time!

Big thanks to Cliff and everyone involved in this FW!!!
After hearing it in the Axe3 for the first time yesterday, I decided to dive in for FM9 4.0b1--Holy crap! Everything's got special sauce! I made some minor tweaks to my new RV50 preset, but that's about it...new Brit 800 and Studio 20 presets are next.

In my AX8 I never used more than two amps for either band's gigs, and have been using the Axe3 and FM9 the same way (BE and Bassman) until this last few months of FW goodness. I am now using a Citrus RV50, Friedman BE V3, 59 Bassguy, AC20 EF86 Treble, Wrecker Express, Class A 30 Hot, Brit JM45, and Double Verb Normal (and about to dial up at least one more Marshall).

Probably gonna need to revisit everything. I tried a few others, like Cornford, Atomica, and SLO but always came back to the BE100...maybe not this time!
The AC20 is off-the-charts good now. Same with Atomica. Man, this Firmware rocks!

I didn't realize that about the FullRes IR's. I thought they were meant to be "better". I only use my rig for live performance. So I guess I need to go back to the "normal" setting on the IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom