FM9 Firmware Version 3.01

m_brown

Fractal Audio Systems
@Admin M@ @m_brown

Q: this is labeled as v. 3.01, but we had a v4.0b1 a few days ago.

What is?

Is this an interim fix for v3 and we’re continuing onto v4?

Here's what I think is happening:

The bug that is fixed is pretty annoying and needed to be dealt with. Because v3.0 is the current release it needed a bug-fix release. And, because we're in an open-beta cycle with v4, the fix was released for the beta also.

That all makes sense to me. YMMV.

Last edited:
Love to have a product from a company that works to fix showstopping occurrences like this soon after they become aware of the issue, as well as continues to improve them after release as seen with the beta. This truly scared me when it happened, but it’s great to know what the problem was and that it's now resolved!

Thank you Cliff, Matt and team. I will definitely be installing this before my Saturday gig. I have to say, at the risk of sounding like a Fractal fanboy cult-member, I am glad to have chosen the Fractal ecosystem. The mark of truly great service, and business leadership for that matter, is what you do when things go wrong. When I reported the “rare noise issue” for the first time, I was taken seriously. Fixes and suggestions were offered on the forum. Support was helpful and until they found a fix , as a precaution they actually facilitated swapping out my FM9 hardware within days (with the help and support of the excellent G66 team). This has not been my experience with Yamaha-Line6 or Roland-Boss, as good as the gear is. Great tone is why I showed up, great direct-to-customer service is why I stay. (AX8, EV1, AXE FX III Mk1 , FC12, FM9, EV2 x2 and counting)

@Admin M@ @m_brown

A minor finding : the README contains a link to the FractalBot download site (https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm9-downloads) but the page referenced doesn't contain a link to FractalBot (https://www.fractalaudio.com/fractal-bot/)
Fractal-Bot is built into the Edit application, which is on the download page.

The standalone version of Fractal-Bot still exists and is available separately.

Using the embedded version is more convenient and helps avoid potential conflicts between the editor and the separate version.

Using the embedded version is more convenient and helps avoid potential conflicts between the editor and the separate version.

Ah, new news to me. Thanks, Greg.

Greg,

Did you determine whether v. 3.01 has any additional features that v. 4.00 Beta 1 does not? For those who have already installed v. 4.00 Beta 1, and updated FM9-Edit, might it be more wise to wait for v. 4.00 Final Release rather than try reinstalling FM9-Edit and v. 3.01?

Did you determine whether v. 3.01 has any additional features that v. 4.00 Beta 1 does not?
v3.01 shouldn't have additional features over v4.b, it just got a fix.

For those who have already installed v. 4.00 Beta 1, and updated FM9-Edit, might it be more wise to wait for v. 4.00 Final Release rather than try reinstalling FM9-Edit and v. 3.01?
It's always "more wise" to wait for the final release, but "fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

Reverting to the previous v3 firmware can cause other problems, such as presets being made invisible because v3 will see that v4 touched it and it's "icky". It's a kind of protection mechanism for our sanity because older firmware won't know about new parameters or features introduced by newer firmware, and it could misinterpret or display things incorrectly, which'd blow minds.

Personally, since I'm already on the v.4b releases I'll stick with the beta releases and upgrade as they are made available because reverting requires also reloading the presets from a backup made with that version of the firmware.

Just so I understand properly, so beta 4.0 and firmware 3.1 are still two separate things right now, correct?
Yes. Initially, it wasn't very clear, but after reading some posts by Fractal it makes sense.

It looks like one is a fix to a problem in the current v3.01 release firmware. The other is the same fix in the v4-beta for people running the beta version of v4.

Last edited:
Love to have a product from a company that works to fix showstopping occurrences like this soon after they become aware of the issue, as well as continues to improve them after release as seen with the beta. This truly scared me when it happened, but it’s great to know what the problem was and that it's now resolved!
Thank you Cliff, Matt and team. I will definitely be installing this before my Saturday gig. I have to say, at the risk of sounding like a Fractal fanboy cult-member, I am glad to have chosen the Fractal ecosystem. The mark of truly great service, and business leadership for that matter, is what you do when things go wrong. When I reported the “rare noise issue” for the first time, I was taken seriously. Fixes and suggestions were offered on the forum. Support was helpful and until they found a fix , as a precaution they actually facilitated swapping out my FM9 hardware within days (with the help and support of the excellent G66 team). This has not been my experience with Yamaha-Line6 or Roland-Boss, as good as the gear is. Great tone is why I showed up, great direct-to-customer service is why I stay. (AX8, EV1, AXE FX III Mk1 , FC12, FM9, EV2 x2 and counting)
This level of support is unheard of in the industry and is what creates such loyal followers.

A lot of us worked our way through years of traditional rigs and then through Fractal's competition to land on Fractal's modelers, and, it's like the land of milk and honey to be treated with respect and see the dedication of the Fractal team. Very unfairly, people who have been through that process are labeled as "fanbois" by those who haven't experienced the landmines and pitfalls over the years. They're not "fanbois", they're survivors and it's understandable why they're fierce about their loyalty.

Out of fondness and utility, I keep two tube amps but their days are numbered because each time I use one of my Fractals I like it even more; A friend regularly asks me if I want to sell one of my amps because it's quite special, but I always push him toward the Fractal units but he won't bite because of "too many flashing lights". My response next time will be "Eh, put a bag over it." :)

While that is true, if the README actually provides a link for FractalBot then it should be correct. Either by pointing to the download for FractalBot or by saying to use the embedded version in the editor ;)

I think it's pretty evident the industry being discussed here...

I'm not familiar with any other brands with the same level of support, dedication and involvement with the customer. If you are, it would be cool to hear.
To be fair , PRS Europe are pretty awesome too - they refinished my Custom 24 no questions asked when it developed some delamination problems

Back
Top Bottom