FM9 Firmware Version 3.00

@gdgross,
Am working with tap tempo myself and an external stand-in switch. Will try to replicate your issue today or Wednesday afternoon. (Have not used tap tempo at all prior to setting up Layout 8 > Utilities; Utilities > Tap Tempo with my external switch.) Hope to use tap tempo for timing my metronome in FM9-Edit > Controllers.

You might need to check that your switch is tap only. Hold may cause the layout issue you described. Check FM9-Edit to be sure your HOLD function is not used for tap tempo, and that your MLM is disabled, if perhaps this might be contributing to the problem.
I'll check again tonight, but I'm 90% sure it's a tap only switch, as I was troubleshooting this issue before the v3.0 release.

I sometimes have strange layout switching happening... but having a quick glance through it doesn't appear like it's only me?

It seems like it randomly switches to the Scenes layout. Not ideal?!

Finally got my FM9 today and spent over 6 hours noodling with preset 000. Hoping I’ll make it to the next preset tomorrow.
I completely understand, I'm almost a year with mine and still on same preset! :p

Just a heads up...

Among other things, the re-worked Drives have a new parameter (High Mid). That new parameter loads with a value of '0.00' on all of my presets made before that addition. This may be specific to certain firmware versions? The new default after resetting any Drive model is '5.00'.

I recommend using the 'Batch Setter' function in the Editor to set all channels, of all Drive block instances, of all your older presets, if this happens to you, to '5.00' as a quick fix.

Edit... Some users are not experiencing this? I will do some experimenting when I get a chance to figure out exactly which firmware version is the culprit.

Last edited:
Just a heads up...

Among other things, the re-worked Drives have a new parameter (High Mid). That new parameter loads with a value of '0.00' on any preset made before that addition. The new default after resetting any Drive model is '5.00'.

I recommend using the 'Batch Setter' function in the Editor to set all channels, of all Drive block instances, of all your older presets, to '5.00' as a quick fix.
I haven't noticed any difference in the sound of my Drive blocks and all my presets predate 3.0...

I'll take a look and see what affect it has for me. Thanks for the heads-up!

How does one access the metronome feature? (I realize it's with the tempo, but could one set up an external stand-in switch with Utilities > Tap Tempo to turn the metronome on/off?)

EDIT: Think this'll fly...Controllers > Tempo > Preset; Metronome > Output 1 > -12.0 dB. Tap tempo is something entirely different than the metronome...will need to use the external switch separately...

Am hoping the metronome doesn't overpower the signal audio..., if yes, reduce metronome output volume, if no, am good for now...will test tomorrow afternoon...
As far as I know you can't toggle the metronome on/off with a switch. I actually run a separate midi pedal to our mixer and just mute the standalone Click channel that I run Out 2 into.

I know there is a midi block feature in FM9 that may be able to eliminate my separate pedal, but I haven't devoted the time yet to figure it out.

As far as I know you can't toggle the metronome on/off with a switch. I actually run a separate midi pedal to our mixer and just mute the standalone Click channel that I run Out 2 into.

I know there is a midi block feature in FM9 that may be able to eliminate my separate pedal, but I haven't devoted the time yet to figure it out.
This is true. You can either increase the metronome volume level so that it feeds through output 1, and hear it there, or feed it thru output 2 and try to adjust for headphones or IEMs.

My hope is to use output 1 with my regular audio output and patch the metronome through output 1 at the same time for practice. For gigging I'd just turn the metronome volume level to 0 and jam accordingly.

My hope is to use my external momentary stand-in switch for tap tempo which will adjust the metronome's tempo so the click can be heard consistently. The switch will need to be set as momentary, not latching. (Not sure if this is possible, will review tomorrow) On/Off is not my goal.

This is true. You can either increase the metronome volume level so that it feeds through output 1, and hear it there, or feed it thru output 2 and try to adjust for headphones or IEMs.

My hope is to use output 1 with my regular audio output and patch the metronome through output 1 at the same time for practice. For gigging I'd just turn the metronome volume level to 0 and jam accordingly.

My hope is to use my external momentary stand-in switch for tap tempo which will adjust the metronome's tempo so the click can be heard consistently. The switch will need to be set as momentary, not latching. (Not sure if this is possible, will review tomorrow) On/Off is not my goal.
Gotcha. Yeah that should all work. I will say that I also practice with the click on the same output and I find that it does fight the guitar signal a bit, but still usable.

What I really wish is for Fractal to provide Preset/Scene control options for the metronome so I don't have to manually set the levels every time I boot up the FM9.

Would be nice if it could, my bands don't t use click tracks so I only need it for intro',s start of a song or after a break I (I hate when the drummer counting in again), so just would be nice to stop or start this by a foot switch, thinking about it, could be managed by a scene.

What I really wish is for Fractal to provide Preset/Scene control options for the metronome so I don't have to manually set the levels every time I boot up the FM9.
Agreed! - (I would also love to be able to route it to output 3..)

Reactions: EdN
I believe that we're not far from a day where the next version of the FM9 will be as powerful as the actual Axe FX III.

I'd love to see a 12 to 16 button version ... Kinda like that kit that guy posted here but never made and sold any....

Back
Top Bottom