FM9 Firmware Version 2.01 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.01b came out before that was discovered, which is the root of my frustration: it's either

a) upgrade to 2.01b to try out all the new goodies and have a significantly worse sound
b) stay on 2.00b and miss out on the improvements, but still have a sound that's pretty good

Right now I'm sticking with my FM3 on 5.02 because it has the turns improvement, but that also kinda bums me out since the FM9 is supposed to be an upgrade :)
Gigging this coming weekend and was going to hold off and see if there is a correction. Hoping or hopium?
If not, I am going to roll it back to 2.00b. For me, I'd rather have somewhat glitchy but solid tone and hold off on the goodies until 2.02b.

Gigging this coming weekend and was going to hold off and see if there is a correction. Hoping or hopium?
If not, I am going to roll it back to 2.00b. For me, I'd rather have somewhat glitchy but solid tone and hold off on the goodies until 2.02b.
Same here. I have been running the previous beta since it came out. Played about 7 gigs without issue. I'm going to wait until they have squashed those bugs.

I'm curious as to why the iteration cycle on the FM9 feels so much longer than on the FM3. I get why the AxeFX is usually first as it's the flagship, but I'd image that the development pipelines of both the FM3 and the FM9 are similar enough that much of it could be re-used (please correct me if I'm wrong though!)

It feels like the FM9 firmwares just take forever to kick out the door, even the beta versions. It's hard not to feel frustrated, especially when both the other units currently sound significantly better than the FM9 :( (at least for the sounds I go for)
Ok I just updated to 2.01b. I had to do the firmware update twice to get it to actually update. Process was fast though.
However, my marshall tones sound significantly worse afterwards. Sounds like the lower part of the sound spectrum is almost clean while the upper frequencies sound gainy and harsher. Mids sound gainy and compressed. I tried Refresh after update. Tried new preset with only an amp sim(various Marshall sims) into my Poweramp and guitar cab. Just doesn't sound good like it did beforehand.
Is this similar to the poorer tone/sound you are referring to?
I think I'm going to try resetting to defaults and maybe if that doesn't work, roll back to v1. Thumbs down.

Ok I just updated to 2.01b. I had to do the firmware update twice to get it to actually update. Process was fast though.
However, my marshall tones sound significantly worse afterwards. Sounds like the lower part of the sound spectrum is almost clean while the upper frequencies sound gainy and harsher. Mids sound gainy and compressed. I tried Refresh after update. Tried new preset with only an amp sim(various Marshall sims) into my Poweramp and guitar cab. Just doesn't sound good like it did beforehand.
Is this similar to the poorer tone/sound you are referring to?
I think I'm going to try resetting to defaults and maybe if that doesn't work, roll back to v1. Thumbs down.
yeah that's 100% what I experience. Fractal knows about the issue and it's been fixed in the AxeFX III and the FM3, we're just waiting for it for the FM9 :(

I'm curious as to why the iteration cycle on the FM9 feels so much longer than on the FM3. I get why the AxeFX is usually first as it's the flagship, but I'd image that the development pipelines of both the FM3 and the FM9 are similar enough that much of it could be re-used (please correct me if I'm wrong though!)

It feels like the FM9 firmwares just take forever to kick out the door, even the beta versions. It's hard not to feel frustrated, especially when both the other units currently sound significantly better than the FM9 :( (at least for the sounds I go for)
There have only been 2 and both are betas.

It's by far a smaller user base currently, so totally makes sense why it's the last in line.

Last night I experimented around and found I liked the transformer match setting between 1.5 and 2.0. IDK if that makes up for the "turns" error or not, but it sounded better to my ears.

I'm playing this Sunday, and my presets are too close to sounding really good to revert back to the previous beta, so I'm running with it.

Edit: It would be nice to know if there is a match setting that makes it equivalent to being fixed.

Ok. Thank you for confirming. I wonder how something that obvious made it out the virtual door?

I agree. But maybe because it is a beta? I am sure it will get fixed in the official release. That's why I never runs betas.

The ongoing handwringing among FM9 users is becoming legendary!!!! ;)
Yeah. I can't imagine why FM9 owners are a little anxious, given they have spent at least ~$1700 for this item. For many people, that is a lot of coin and maybe they just would like to have a modeler that doesn't lock up randomly or suddenly generate loud noise or distortions from the outputs. Go figure.

I agree. But maybe because it is a beta? I am sure it will get fixed in the official release. That's why I never runs betas.
No, I get it....it's beta so anything could happen. However, I think that even a cursory review or play-through of these sims prior to release of the newest beta would have shown the radically different sound? I dunno....I think it's back to v1 or into the box and out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom