FM9 Firmware Version 2.01 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like... I know that this is a huge update, not trying to take away from that.

But Scene Ignore is the single most important thing I want for my FM9. It's the perfect form factor for that feature. Super bummed it didn't make the cut, but hopefully it'll be in by release
Well… I can only counsel patience.

Can someone explain the loading of an empty preset? How is this accomplished and what does it do? Do you import an empty preset? Just curious, since I am still backing up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.26.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.26.21 PM.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 7
For this: "Updated default cathode follower values for Matchbox D-30 model."

What do you do to pick up this new value, for existing presets?
And, when you create a new preset with this amp, will it start with the new defaults?

Thanks man. How does that help Fractal Bot?
I don't think it's ever been officially explained, but I suspect that the editor is telling the unit to load the first preset being backed up, then revert to the <EMPTY> preset, then load the next preset, and it's backed up, then it reloads the <EMPTY> again, seesawing across the range of presets to be backed up. Loading an empty preset is faster than a populated one in general because the system doesn't have to wire the blocks together and set the parameters, so the cumulative result is a faster backup.

Of course, this is conjecture, but there are hints for similar behavior when we're saving presets in the Preset Manager and the guitar is connected and volume is on, especially if you're playing or picking up some EMI, as you'll hear presets load, switch, then switch back as the editor copies and moves things around. You can get an idea of which preset is loaded if there's a 'vibe or distortion or high-gain amp loaded.

Thanks man. How does that help Fractal Bot?

I don't think it's ever been officially explained, but I suspect that the editor is telling the unit to load the first preset being backed up, then revert to the <EMPTY> preset, then load the next preset, and it's backed up, then it reloads the <EMPTY> again, seesawing across the range of presets to be backed up. Loading an empty preset is faster than a populated one in general because the system doesn't have to wire the blocks together and set the parameters, so the cumulative result is a faster backup.

Of course, this is conjecture, but there are hints for similar behavior when we're saving presets in the Preset Manager and the guitar is connected and volume is on, especially if you're playing or picking up some EMI, as you'll hear presets load, switch, then switch back as the editor copies and moves things around.
I had assumed it was just faster because of less DSP being used. I know communications over USB get slower in the editor when a hefty preset is loaded.

I know communications over USB get slower in the editor when a hefty preset is loaded.
Yes, under load the CPU and DSP have less free time to talk to the USB system. The system can get so bogged down that our ability to use the interface and USB will suffer. It'll eventually start shutting down the CPU intensive models to try to preserve generating sound as the first priority, but the interface and USB will ultimately win if the load is too high because we need to be able to tell the unit to "'shaddup' and listen" so we can fix things without having to restart it and possibly need to do the magic handshake to tell it to load an empty preset. That's a high-level, obviously informal, description of what happens and helps explain why Fractal says to keep the load below 80%, because, as sound moves through the models their CPU usage goes up which could inadvertently spike the load into dangerous territory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom