FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad the plex delay was added to the fm9 but it can really eat up some CPU horsepower. That one block it seems is the most intensive on CPU. Also the reverb can get there with some of the more exotic verbs like strato etc.

Without reading 40-some pages of this thread, has there been a reason mentioned for why this beta is going on so long? I don't have a dog in the fight (not an FM9 owner) and I'm not criticizing, just curious if there's been official word of what's taking all this time to iron out or what. Thanks!

Without reading 40-some pages of this thread, has there been a reason mentioned for why this beta is going on so long? I don't have a dog in the fight (not an FM9 owner) and I'm not criticizing, just curious if there's been official word of what's taking all this time to iron out or what. Thanks!
Probably because as soon as the FM9 team thinks they have finished porting stuff from the Axe FX III, Cliff adds a bunch more stuff to it :D:D

Someone at FAS mentioned a large optimization project was underway due to something revealed in this beta. It seems like there's a new private beta being tested so hopefully it's all getting ironed out.

I'm glad the plex delay was added to the fm9 but it can really eat up some CPU horsepower. That one block it seems is the most intensive on CPU. Also the reverb can get there with some of the more exotic verbs like strato etc.
The Reverbs run on a dedicated core, so that's a better choice to save CPU.

Matt said that the engineer who works on the FM9 is going through a "deep optimization project prompted by observations about this beta". Anything beyond that is pure speculation on our part.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...n-2-0-public-beta.179550/page-20#post-2211226

The ratio of nonsense to relevance is particularly high in this thread. Must mean firmware is getting close. Carry on.
Of course. What fascinates me is that the morning breakfast discussion sometimes contains more than its fair share of zombies who aren't awake yet.

I took a chance and tried the beta but I think I'll have to roll back. 100% of my editing is on the PC and its just criminally laggy in beta. Hopefully the final release is imminent.

I took a chance and tried the beta but I think I'll have to roll back. 100% of my editing is on the PC and its just criminally laggy in beta. Hopefully the final release is imminent.
We have been told, "Soon."

The private beta team has a new and improved firmware under test. We have been told that it will be worth the wait.

Finally got through converting my FX3 presets to run on FM9, through a bit of simplification and fat-cutting, and it occurred during a pedalboard transformation, to boot. Took forever with the laggy editor, but I am backporting those presets to my FM9+FX3 split presets now, which makes the FM9 portion a lot smaller and lighter, and the editor a LOT less laggy....

optomization! must mean CPU optimization which at this point is a must. I'm getting to 85% pretty easy which is pretty unusable at that high usage. I agree with someone who said it best to stay in the 70s if at all possible.

It seems like the next FM9 update will reflect improvements that were at least 2 major version updates to the III. I know that probably doesn't make the wait any easier for people who are dealing with bugs, but it seems like we're seeing the same rate of improvement that we're accustomed to from FAS, just in a single release rather than spread out over several (but more frequent) releases. I bet we're no more than a week or two out from a public beta. That is just a guess though :).

It seems like the next FM9 update will reflect improvements that were at least 2 major version updates to the III. I know that probably doesn't make the wait any easier for people who are dealing with bugs, but it seems like we're seeing the same rate of improvement that we're accustomed to from FAS, just in a single release rather than spread out over several (but more frequent) releases. I bet we're no more than a week or two out from a public beta. That is just a guess though :).
This is unfortunately what we thought over a month ago

I am sure it’s been discussed to death but is there a post that has all of the known changes that will be with this new FW?

optomization! must mean CPU optimization which at this point is a must. I'm getting to 85% pretty easy which is pretty unusable at that high usage. I agree with someone who said it best to stay in the 70s if at all possible.
I'm pretty sure the manual says 80% is where the danger zone starts.

I would encourage you to stay under that.

Afterwards not only the editor gets bad but modifiers like expression pedals can become very laggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom