FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would this address the issue with the tuner that he is reporting?
That I'm not sure of. I do know that it helped me find more stable tuning with my PRS, instead of the strobe jumping back and forth. The tuning offsets might not prevent the strobe from swinging back and forth as much with a trem guitar (YMMV), but it did seem to help with a stoptail.

That I'm not sure of. I do know that it helped me find more stable tuning with my PRS, instead of the strobe jumping back and forth. The tuning offsets might not prevent the strobe from swinging back and forth as much with a trem guitar (YMMV), but it did seem to help with a stoptail.
You're assigning a correlation that doesn't exist.

The offsets merely change what is considered "in tune", not the detection of the pitch, which is what would cause the tuner to "swing" (excluding some sort of bug).

You're assigning a correlation that doesn't exist.

The offsets merely change what is considered "in tune", not the detection of the pitch, which is what would cause the tuner to "swing" (excluding some sort of bug).
Understood. I'm not sure how to describe what I'm saying...the tuning offsets helped decrease the tuner swings (left to right and back), essentially making for smoother tuning, in my PRS McC stop tail. Trem guitars will invariably experience greater tuner swing.

It was an unusual phenomenon I don't know how to describe, other than what actually occurred.

It's not a criticism, just an observation.

Seems to me, with the state of some people's lives in the world today,
it would be deemed "distasteful" to express any degree of disappointment
over something so trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Has Matt not also shared that there is a private beta going on now? I guess
even that is not enough for some to show a little patience and humility..... not
to mention gratitude for their having something in their possession that so very,
very few actually have.

It's not a criticism, just an observation.

Seems to me, with the state of some people's lives in the world today,
it would be deemed "distasteful" to express any degree of disappointment
over something so trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Has Matt not also shared that there is a private beta going on now? I guess
even that is not enough for some to show a little patience and humility..... not
to mention gratitude for their having something in their possession that so very,
very few actually have.
Been showing patience for 3+ months while simultaneously struggling with the bugs that are hopefully going to be fixed soon and watching both of the other platforms get update after update.

Other people's problems in other parts of the world who "have it worse" do not invalidate the problems one faces in one's own life. To try to convince someone otherwise is gaslighting, and to come in and sling insults about it is offensive.

Do you have an FM9?

Take a look at the activity on this section of the forum vs. the other two current Fractal products. Why do you think that is? We FM9 owners are probably less than 1% of the Fractal family.

Although I am sure that Cliff and the gang would love to bless us with firmware improvements more quickly in a perfect world where their newest product is readily available, the reality is their bread is buttered currently by the other products simply because the supply chain has made our FM9 unproduceable for the foreseeable future.

I may not be crazy about it, but I get it.

We FM9 owners are probably less than 1% of the Fractal family.
Yeah, there just aren't that many FM9's in the wild for the time being and it's not a bad idea to maintain some perspective. On the one hand if you're lucky enough to have one, life is good. I gigged mine tonight, and I'm still quite blown away by it - coming to it from the AX8. I certainly don't feel handicapped over firmware issues, but I'm also sure there are loads of cool things that will trickle down from the AXIII & FC-land eventually. So naturally, I'm hoping for, "soon(er)."

I agree that it is important to maintain a healthy perspective. I am very fortunate to have an FM9 and it really has made load in / load out substantially easier than it was with my Axe-FX III rig. I never have to worry about a straining my back from carrying my stuff and I can carry it all in one trip. I also love that I get to leave my Axe-FX III setup at home all the time now. It makes practicing a more appealing proposition when all you need to do is flip a few switches to get up and running.

I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to feeling like the FM9 is getting ignored. There hasn’t been a single official firmware update since the product announcement in August 2021. That is a LONG time in the context of FAS devices. Has any other supported product gone that long between updates? I suspect that this extended timeline has been the result of a significant and unanticipated setback. If that is the case, it should be an anomaly and the pace of future updates should more closely mirror those of the other products once the hurdle is overcome.

I am encouraged to read that there is a new firmware in private beta. Hopefully it addresses all of the known bugs and stability concerns (reports of freezing, crackles when using the second IR slot, the poor refresh rate of the tuner…) If so, it will have been worth the wait.

Just updated to this firmware. Sounds great and I like the features but as for the CPU performance, not so good. I'll probably go back to the previous firmware until this one gets finalized. BTW what's taking so long. This is by far the longest Beta release I've seen.

I've been using this since it was released but I don't recall any difference in CPU... What are you seeing?
I noticed that using the plex delay sees a significant jump in CPU usage. If memory serves me I think it jumped 10-12%. If I pull up the very first preset on the plex delay (cant remember the name off hand) it jumps all the way to 85%+-. At the 85% mark my fm9 responds very slowly to changes made in fm9edit and at some point I think I just had to switch presets because it stopped responding all together.

I noticed that using the plex delay sees a significant jump in CPU usage. If memory serves me I think it jumped 10-12%. If I pull up the very first preset on the plex delay (cant remember the name off hand) it jumps all the way to 85%+-. At the 85% mark my fm9 responds very slowly to changes made in fm9edit and at some point I think I just had to switch presets because it stopped responding all together.
I would definitely have noticed that because my presets are all hovering about 79%...

Possibly some specific blocks or types increased?

For the FM9 you certainly don't want to be in 80%+ CPU territory. Performance gets really bad...

I never noticed having this issue on the last firmware, but to be fair it could have been the same. The reason why it caught me off guard was that I'm only using one amp block and the rest are pretty basic blocks like

compressor--wah- drive- amp-cab- chorus- lezlie- delay- plex delay- reverb and maybe one more stuck in there somewhere.

I never noticed having this issue on the last firmware, but to be fair it could have been the same. The reason why it caught me off guard was that I'm only using one amp block and the rest are pretty basic blocks like

compressor--wah- drive- amp-cab- chorus- lezlie- delay- plex delay- reverb and maybe one more stuck in there somewhere.
Number of Amp blocks is not really relevant because amp modeling runs on a dedicated core. As do Reverbs and (normal) Delays.

Number of Amp blocks is not really relevant because amp modeling runs on a dedicated core. As do Reverbs and (normal) Delays.
Nice to know. Have you found any other bugs that you think would preclude you from using this firmware live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom