FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shunts bring it down to about an average of 26%.

The default CPU is 11% with no blocks on the grid.

It's pretty hard to gauge CPU usage with the FM9. With how some of the processors take on specific loads, I'd take the numbers here with a grain of salt. FM3 is undoubtedly going to be even higher if they are able to port the algorithm over.

Will try that as well. Seems related to the Amp2 block (my lead amp sound in my presets) and peculiarly absent in my Amp1 block....

Ok, so poking around in a preset, and here's what I've found:
  1. Rebuilding the amp block from scratch instead of using the imported one from my old FX3 presets changed nothing.
  2. Changing out cabs to Legacy green-text cabs did nothing.
  3. Muting cab 2:R in Cab Block #2 stopped the bacon-frying crackles.
  4. Unmuting cab 2:R and muting cab 1:L made the bacon-frying crackles louder.

Methinks I've isolated it to that 2:L cab in Cab block #2.

Will have to go through all my presets and make single, mixed-down IRs for all the Cab 2 blocks, I guess.

Ok, so poking around in a preset, and here's what I've found:
  1. Rebuilding the amp block from scratch instead of using the imported one from my old FX3 presets changed nothing.
  2. Changing out cabs to Legacy green-text cabs did nothing.
  3. Muting cab 2:R in Cab Block #2 stopped the bacon-frying crackles.
  4. Unmuting cab 2:R and muting cab 1:L made the bacon-frying crackles louder.

Methinks I've isolated it to that 2:L cab in Cab block #2.

Will have to go through all my presets and make single, mixed-down IRs for all the Cab 2 blocks, I guess.
Elementary, Watson! :)

You guys were right. I just checked my FM3 BLANK and with just the I/O blocks and it is only a whisker less than the FM9 - and the FM9 has [I think] 2 more blocks and shunts .... so my guess is that the "overhead" is identical for both :)

Ben "should have checked before posting" Ifin

Are you trying to select a specific channel that is not the current one? Do you have Smart Enable (I think that's the name) ON?

If so, I think that's expected behavior...
I can't find anything in the manual or the wiki about that, but I'm out of my depth all the time.

The FM-9 manual does say:

Q: How do the LED rings for EFFECT switches work?

A: The LED Rings show up-to-the-moment information about the assigned effect. If the ring is DIM, the effect is OFF. If the ring is BRIGHT, the effect is ON. If the ring is completely OFF, then the assigned effect is NOT AVAILABLE in the current preset.

I went into the CHANNELS layout today using the Factory 59 Bassguy preset. It has 4 switches set up for a drive block (one for each channel). All the LED Rings are OFF until you enable one of them, then the one you enable turns BRIGHT and the other three are DIM. Disable the one that is BRIGHT and they all turn OFF again.

I don't know if this is normal or not. Just seems odd they would all be OFF when the drive is in the preset; even if it's an exclusive group.

If it's intentional or I'm missing a different setting, please, someone let me know. If it's not I'll put in a wish.

Thanks

I can't find anything in the manual or the wiki about that, but I'm out of my depth all the time.

The FM-9 manual does say:

Q: How do the LED rings for EFFECT switches work?

A: The LED Rings show up-to-the-moment information about the assigned effect. If the ring is DIM, the effect is OFF. If the ring is BRIGHT, the effect is ON. If the ring is completely OFF, then the assigned effect is NOT AVAILABLE in the current preset.

I went into the CHANNELS layout today using the Factory 59 Bassguy preset. It has 4 switches set up for a drive block (one for each channel). All the LED Rings are OFF until you enable one of them, then the one you enable turns BRIGHT and the other three are DIM. Disable the one that is BRIGHT and they all turn OFF again.

I don't know if this is normal or not. Just seems odd they would all be OFF when the drive is in the preset; even if it's an exclusive group.

If it's intentional or I'm missing a different setting, please, someone let me know. If it's not I'll put in a wish.

Thanks
Can you go into the layout in FM9-EDIT and post a screenshot of the switch configs?

This is what the manual says currently. Note that is actually calls out the specific example you mentioned - Channels layout Drive block.

81D6FFAD-B74A-4312-B0F9-276278EF34EB.jpeg

However, this description does not match what I remember from the Axe Fx III (because I questioned if it was a bug or something).

I don't currently use this Smart Bypass and have not in a while... But I did a forum search and refreshed my memory:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...pass-ring-color-change-follows-bypass.147054/

I actually created a Wish which was implemented to change this behavior because it was confusing.

From a specific post in that thread, @BryantP said:

This will be in the next Axe-Fx III firmware update. To be more specific, if Smart Bypass is enabled for an Effect->Chan Select function, the LED ring will now be in one of three states:
  1. Off: The effect is bypassed (regardless of the selected/configured channel).
  2. Dim: The effect is not bypassed but not on the switch's configured channel.
  3. Bright: The effect is not bypassed and is on the switch's configured channel.

I think that's what you're seeing, right?

@Admin M@ - it seems the manual was not updated for this change (back in Axe Fx III FW 5.06).

This will be in the next Axe-Fx III firmware update. To be more specific, if Smart Bypass is enabled for an Effect->Chan Select function, the LED ring will now be in one of three states:
From a specific post in that thread, @BryantP said:
  1. Off: The effect is bypassed (regardless of the selected/configured channel).
  2. Dim: The effect is not bypassed but not on the switch's configured channel.
  3. Bright: The effect is not bypassed and is on the switch's configured channel.
I think that's what you're seeing, right?
Exactly what I'm seeing! It confused me because I only saw the (OFF if not in preset). I never saw Off, Dim, Bright by BryantP.

I only looked for Smart Bypass in the manual, not on the unit itself. Duh! But if I turn it off, sure enough, the LED ring goes from OFF to DIM.

Thank you kind sir!

Attachments

• Smart Bypass.png
    Smart Bypass.png
    519.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
havent had a chance to try the beta but how is the new pitch block?
It's excellent! I've played around with detuning my guitar 2 1/2 steps down and it was really tracking well and sounded good. I didn't expect that with that much of a drop. Not that I would play that way for that much of a drop, but I was testing just to see. I'd definitely do it for 1/2 or 1 steps.

havent had a chance to try the beta but how is the new pitch block?
That was the main reason I went ahead and updated and it’s AWESOME!

I only use it as a virtual capo for 1/2 or full step down for a few tunes, but being able to do that on the fly with one footswitch press is pretty amazing. Tracks well, sounds well, and as long as I have the amp volume up so that I don’t hear my un-amplified strings, it’s virtually indistinguishable from the real thing.

It's excellent

That was the main reason I went ahead and updated and it’s AWESOME!

This is great to hear! I used it for a couple whole step down songs at practice the other night. Was ok for a practice on FW1, except for the bit of latency. So, this is improved from FW1 to the beta?

I was waiting for the official release but this may nudge me over the edge since my gig tonight was postponed to the 28th.

I’ve noticed another bug with the beta—at least one amp models produces a low frequency oscillation. I created a preset, which I’ve attached, that uses the Double Verb Vibrato model. A normalized recording of the oscillation is included in the attached zip file, and is pictured below. The oscillation occurs even if I remove the input block and every block prior to the amp block. Bypassing the amp block makes the oscillation stop. Has anyone else had this happen?

View attachment 93497
I’m hearing something similar in the current beta for the FM3 and the Double Verb Vibrato. It’s a low frequency oscillation, that seems tied to the AMP, OUT and a CS. I can remove the CS or disable/remove either block and it stops. I sent an email to Fractal about it.

I’m hearing something similar in the current beta for the FM3 and the Double Verb Vibrato. It’s a low frequency oscillation, that seems tied to the AMP, OUT and a CS. I can remove the CS or disable/remove either block and it stops. I sent an email to Fractal about it.
Band Commander does it too, except that the frequency varies from a low tone to ultrasonic depending on what speaker impedance curve you use. For the ultrasonic ones, you can see the headroom, compression, and power supply sag meters in the amp block pinned like it is running full blast. IIRC, I posted a 'Bug?' post with a video....

thinking about all those people out there, gigging and enjoying their FM9, oblivious that a public beta is even being tested

It seems the issue with having no output when powering the FM9 has completely stopped. Not sure why, but for two weeks now whenever I’ve turned it on I’ve had output immediately. Definitely odd, but I’m not bitching! I have no clue what helps Fractal figure out bugs, just figured I’d report it.

It seems the issue with having no output when powering the FM9 has completely stopped. Not sure why, but for two weeks now whenever I’ve turned it on I’ve had output immediately. Definitely odd, but I’m not bitching! I have no clue what helps Fractal figure out bugs, just figured I’d report it.
Ha! It just happened to me for the first time a few days ago.

I've found, like others have commented, that if my patch is over 80% processing power that the unit has very slow patch patch and scene changes. This is on the unit itself. The on unit interface is also slow to react. If I keep things under 80% it seems to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom