FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for Windows guys - are all aware there is a USB driver v 5.30 on the FM9 download page? Shows a Dec 10, 2021 date but I didn't catch a mention of it on the forum. Edit is still a bit sluggish to me but that seemed to help my machine communicate a little better.
I don't recall seeing that mentioned either... I will try installing that later today.

The only reason I ask the question is that as I understand it, power recycling does not help @RevDrucifer and he can’t roll back to the previous version. Have not seen that with most reports here. Most people are going back to Ver 1.0.0 with no issues. Right?

Power cycling does help, eventually. I ordered some new USB’s just to rule those out and the other night I got lazy; once I got the unit outputting sound I just kept playing it instead of moving it into my studio to try installing the backup from my iMac.

Upon request I sent my backup to a beta tester who was going to see if they could replicate the issue. I’m sure whatever I’ve said in here has made it’s way to those doing the actual work so I don’t feel the need to reach out to Fractal directly. I’ve got faith they’ll fix whatever is going on. As long as I can get it to output sound, I’m good to go. I just won’t shut it off next time. :D Worst comes to worst, I just lug my III to band practice.

I experienced freeze on boot, no output, disappearing blocks in FM9 Edit, and a slow/hung editor with beta installed. Just got firmware V1 back on the FM9, so far so good, but I haven't had long to power cycle or edit much yet.
I lost whatever presets I had created or tweaked since installing beta, and they won't load on the old firmware as far as I can tell.
I've been happily using an Ultra for so long, I'm going to have to put some thought into how best to handle firmware updates going forward. I'd rather not recreate them constantly if I can help it. Maybe it's not such an issue going forward that it is reverting backwards?
Still sounds killer on FW1 BTW!

I experienced freeze on boot, no output, disappearing blocks in FM9 Edit, and a slow/hung editor with beta installed. Just got firmware V1 back on the FM9, so far so good, but I haven't had long to power cycle or edit much yet.
I lost whatever presets I had created or tweaked since installing beta, and they won't load on the old firmware as far as I can tell.
I've been happily using an Ultra for so long, I'm going to have to put some thought into how best to handle firmware updates going forward. I'd rather not recreate them constantly if I can help it. Maybe it's not such an issue going forward that it is reverting backwards?
There's nothing wrong with holding off on an update, especially a Beta. As much as I would love to start adding my favorite blocks from my Axe III to my FM9, I'm waiting for the full release of FW2.

I’ve noticed another bug with the beta—at least one amp models produces a low frequency oscillation. I created a preset, which I’ve attached, that uses the Double Verb Vibrato model. A normalized recording of the oscillation is included in the attached zip file, and is pictured below. The oscillation occurs even if I remove the input block and every block prior to the amp block. Bypassing the amp block makes the oscillation stop. Has anyone else had this happen?

View attachment 93497
I posted a "Bug?" post about that. A number of IRs do that with the Band Commander as well. Various pitches, some audible, some not, but deffo making the amp sim's power section huff and puff under the load, as made evident by the output compression meter....

Always make a backup before updating (I'm sure you already do that). Then simply restore back any presets you tweaked and saved with the new FW.

And they aren't lost, they just appear "empty" in the older firmware. Load the newer one and they will be there.

Always make a backup before updating (I'm sure you already do that). Then simply restore back any presets you tweaked and saved with the new FW.

And they aren't lost, they just appear "empty" in the older firmware. Load the newer one and they will be there.
Yes I made a backup, and I could still access the new presets if I load the beta back up. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I knew what I was doing when I installed a beta firmware, warts, risks and all. I just haven't had to think about firmware for a LONG time, such that the thought of the new presets being empty on the old firmware never occurred to me and now that I'm back on the bleeding edge of things, it's something to consider.
Still sounds killer. Just spent the last hour noodling around for the wife and kids while they played a board game.

Yes I made a backup, and I could still access the new presets if I load the beta back up. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I knew what I was doing when I installed a beta firmware, warts, risks and all. I just haven't had to think about firmware for a LONG time, such that the thought of the new presets being empty on the old firmware never occurred to me and now that I'm back on the bleeding edge of things, it's something to consider.
Still sounds killer. Just spent the last hour noodling around for the wife and kids while they played a board game.
Yep... There is that trade off :)

Getting some crackling on dirty lead sounds since 2.0b. Levels out of Output 1 are right around 0-2dB, just tickling the red on peaks. Sound is connected via SPDIF to FX3 Turbo. Even on 1.0, SPDIF level out is very hot, needing SPDIF in on the FX3 set to -18dB. Possibly related, and now overloading SPDIF due to amp model changes? Will try dropping level 6dB before the output and see if it changes....

aside from the disappearing blocks and editor freezing I love this thing , I have to say it
Mesa Triple Crown Wah, Maxon OD, Worn tape , room verb , York Its and its incredible

The worn Tape , Zephyr , Carbon Copy, and some of the new Types like the PCM ping pong , and Holdsworth long sweet are jut crazy good

Loving it , the Triple Crown is a beast , such a tight almost stiff amp but amazingly clarity and articulation

Hello everyone! For those who might be interested I had a New Years Eve gig using the beta software and did not have any issues. I use about 40 patches, mostly modified factory presets, with a few original and presets from axe change. I decided to use the beta for the gig because of the improved pitch shifter which I have to use for a few patches. The FM9 never stopped working or had any hiccups. Played from 5pm - 12:30am with breaks and just left it running the whole time.
The editor was running slow and backing up seemed to take longer using the latest version of the editor.

Just posting for those who might be in a similar situation.

Thank you to the people working on this product. We had a great gig and my guitar sounded great.

I don't know if this was an issue before this firmware update, but if I assign a Per Preset as a Momentary Control Switch it won't work. Latching does though. Anyone else have that issue?

View attachment 93659
Have you tried assigning the same settings directly to a switch in a layout instead of as a Per Preset?

When you say "doesn't work" I'm assuming you mean that whatever parameter you have the CS assigned to isn't changed when you hold the switch down?

Getting some crackling on dirty lead sounds since 2.0b. Levels out of Output 1 are right around 0-2dB, just tickling the red on peaks. Sound is connected via SPDIF to FX3 Turbo. Even on 1.0, SPDIF level out is very hot, needing SPDIF in on the FX3 set to -18dB. Possibly related, and now overloading SPDIF due to amp model changes? Will try dropping level 6dB before the output and see if it changes....
Dropped level by 6dB right after the amp/cab. Still getting crackles. They seem to crackle more as the notes fade out, so perhaps level isn't the issue. Can send preset(s) and system config files for testing if needed....

How much more CPU does the new virtual capo update need?
I have a few 80-81% (FM3) presets and i'm a bit concerned :)

Dropped level by 6dB right after the amp/cab. Still getting crackles. They seem to crackle more as the notes fade out, so perhaps level isn't the issue. Can send preset(s) and system config files for testing if needed....
Did you try turning off the Gate in the Input block to see if that makes a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom