FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the seeing the FM9 owners turn on one another. Eat your own people!!!!! :)

This happens a lot here. I have never seen a user community that turns on itself like this one does. Just make one statement that criticises the product in any way and you will get aggression real fast. It even spills over on other forums when mentioning Fractal products.

This happens a lot here. I have never seen a user community that turns on itself like this one does. Just make one statement that criticises the product in any way and you will get aggression real fast. It even spills over on other forums when mentioning Fractal products.

Action >> reaction. Posting a question, issue or criticism in a reasonable way results in a reasonable meaningful discussion. Numerous examples. But post like a jerk, and ...

Each person's experience becomes their reality. Those who are experiencing issues make comments referring to the FM9 being unusable, unstable and support laughable. A majority of users do not appear to have these problems and are called fanboys when they respond that they have not experienced any of the stated issues. It's not defending a product nor is it piling on someone being critical.

This is the beta process; someone reports a problem, others try to replicate it and post their experience. Most cases turn out to be user error or something in their setup (monitors, interface, computer etc...) that causes the issue. Other times there is an issue and it gets addressed once it's shown to be one that can be replicated. As far as releasing a more stable beta, with only a handful of official beta testers it's unreasonable to expect every possible setup or scenario to be tested. The forum appears to be an extension of the beta testing process, seeing how it works on even more setups.

On one here is obligated to update to a beta. If you have the time to run it through the paces with your setup and report your findings, or if you understand that some things may go wrong, great. If you update to a beta thinking that you probably won't have any issues, that's completely on you if you do experience problems. It's a Beta. There has never been any guarantee or reassurance that nothing will go wrong with a beta.

Those who continue to worry about things not working properly in beta releases should really wait until the official firmware is released at fractalaudio.com. Even some final releases for other devices posted to the forum have had bugs to address before they make it to the website.

I’m experiencing the same. My tuner on the unit is very laggy, to the point where I can’t tell if I’m in tune.

I just rolled back to the original FM9 firmware and FM9 Edit, and I still feel like some of my patches and tuner is laggy compared to how it was when I was turned it on factory stock.

Aside from the issues that will be corrected, man, this beta sounds absolutely great...I again read the list of improvements, additions, and fixes and my compliments, and kudos, to the team at FAS. There is so, so much here to enjoy and dig in to. New amps, drives, delays, block overhauls, numerous improvements...now that is an awesome set of release notes. Thanks again everyone....fantastic stuff.

Action >> reaction. Posting a question, issue or criticism in a reasonable way results in a reasonable meaningful discussion. Numerous examples. But post like a jerk, and ...

It isn't reasonable though. That is the issue. People think they are being reasonable but they are being rude. Check my profile. I have been around here for a while. There is a reason that I don't have a lot of posts. This isn't a new thing here and it is definitely worse than it was 10 years ago.

Each person's experience becomes their reality. Those who are experiencing issues make comments referring to the FM9 being unusable, unstable and support laughable. A majority of users do not appear to have these problems and are called fanboys when they respond that they have not experienced any of the stated issues. It's not defending a product nor is it piling on someone being critical.

This is the beta process; someone reports a problem, others try to replicate it and post their experience. Most cases turn out to be user error or something in their setup (monitors, interface, computer etc...) that causes the issue. Other times there is an issue and it gets addressed once it's shown to be one that can be replicated. As far as releasing a more stable beta, with only a handful of official beta testers it's unreasonable to expect every possible setup or scenario to be tested. The forum appears to be an extension of the beta testing process, seeing how it works on even more setups.

On one here is obligated to update to a beta. If you have the time to run it through the paces with your setup and report your findings, or if you understand that some things may go wrong, great. If you update to a beta thinking that you probably won't have any issues, that's completely on you if you do experience problems. It's a Beta. There has never been any guarantee or reassurance that nothing will go wrong with a beta.

Those who continue to worry about things not working properly in beta releases should really wait until the official firmware is released at fractalaudio.com. Even some final releases for other devices posted to the forum have had bugs to address before they make it to the website.

It isn't just this thread in the beta topic. It happens here a lot across many threads.

People can be a bit emotional when they have a brand new unit that they are experiencing issues with. Instead of trying to be helpful people just jump on them. You definitely take a chance when you install beta releases. That is why I have not installed it. I will wait for the full release. I prefer not to be a tester. I want my unit to work correctly.

You all can continue to jump on me for this post an prove my point. I don't care. I am just agreeing with what someone else posted. I have seen it many times here. I recently experienced it when giving honest feedback on my experience with my FM9. People kept responding like my experience couldn't possibly be true. The Fractal crowd is by far the meanest crowd I have experienced online. Remember, each of our experiences is our reality. And just to be clear, I didn't single anyone out here or quote anyone.

I just noticed that when two midi commands are sent to the FM9 (from an iPad in my case), the second command requires a longer Delay (>1000 ms) command to be inserted between them than was needed in Firmware 1.0 (~500 ms). For reference, the FM3 and Axe FXIII do not need any Delay between successive commands.

Speaking for myself, I'm not jumping on you, I'm having a conversation with you.

I respect that. I haven't taken anything you have said as jumping on me. I respect your knowledge with these products and assistance you give people.

Reactions: yek
People can be a bit emotional when they have a brand new unit that they are experiencing issues with.
But that is their issue, not that of those responding... If you post that way, you're likely to draw a similar response.

A polite, well written post usually gets the same type of response.

"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"
The Fractal crowd is by far the meanest crowd I have experienced online.
Really? I don't participate in any other gear forums but I mostly read the opposite from new users here...

It isn't reasonable though. That is the issue. People think they are being reasonable but they are being rude. Check my profile. I have been around here for a while. There is a reason that I don't have a lot of posts. This isn't a new thing here and it is definitely worse than it was 10 years ago.

It isn't just this thread in the beta topic. It happens here a lot across many threads.

People can be a bit emotional when they have a brand new unit that they are experiencing issues with. Instead of trying to be helpful people just jump on them. You definitely take a chance when you install beta releases. That is why I have not installed it. I will wait for the full release. I prefer not to be a tester. I want my unit to work correctly.

You all can continue to jump on me for this post an prove my point. I don't care. I am just agreeing with what someone else posted. I have seen it many times here. I recently experienced it when giving honest feedback on my experience with my FM9. People kept responding like my experience couldn't possibly be true. The Fractal crowd is by far the meanest crowd I have experienced online. Remember, each of our experiences is our reality. And just to be clear, I didn't single anyone out here or quote anyone.
Yep, all I did was state that this release didn't seem beta worthy. Never had a problem previously but at this point, the software is non functional as it hangs and I have to restart continuously. I was just posting as anyone would. Then someone says I don't know beta testing without even knowing me. Then the parade of bullshit about banking application flaws. Wow. This forum is infamous for it. Once upon a time people could actually voice an opinion without getting slaughtered for it.

The majority of users who install Fractal betas know that they are previews and present a degree of inherent risk. It is up to the individual user to decide whether to take that risk.

In my many years of using Fractal's products, I have only rarely run into problems with beta releases, but it does happen. On those fairly rare occasions, I understand that any pain involved was a result of my choice to install.

I'm grateful and very glad that Fractal chooses to present us with these preview releases. Crowd sourcing the last layer of testing speeds up development, and many of us are happy to help.

Yep, all I did was state that this release didn't seem beta worthy. Never had a problem previously but at this point, the software is non functional as it hangs and I have to restart continuously. I was just posting as anyone would. Then someone says I don't know beta testing without even knowing me. Then the parade of bullshit about banking application flaws. Wow. This forum is infamous for it. Once upon a time people could actually voice an opinion without getting slaughtered for it.

My reply was intended to be conversational, not adversarial. I could have worded the first sentence better, but I stand by my statement that beta releases are not always as stable as we hope and if you don't understand that and are not willing to deal with that then perhaps you should sit out the beta process. I've seen some really bitter, nasty stuff on gear forums. This one has been very tame compared to some. I would hardly call the response you got "getting slaughtered".

Last edited:
I’m noticing a seriously laggy FM-9 Edit. Something as simple as turning a block on/off takes 20 seconds to show the change in edit. Also, the unit froze on startup (all green buttons). A reboot solved the freeze, but not the lag with FM9 edit. Using the same PC and usb cable I’ve always used with the FM3 and other gear.

Also, I see some guys are rolling back to a FM9 Edit 1.01, and so I tired it. It is MUCH more responsive. What are the implications? Still usable - I just can't use the latest stuff from 2.0? The unit itself is still on 2.0.

It’s a beta so I know they’ll smooth it out. More importantly, it sounds absolutely killer.

Last edited:
Beta 2.0 seems to be working fine for me, aside from some blocks disappearing and reappearing from FM9-Edit in my Presets.

The Pitch Block seems a lot tighter, and raising the low cut on the Cab Block from 80 hz to 100 hz really seemed reduce the low end flub. It is still a little wonky on wide bends but it is a big improvement then on FW 1.0

I don't seem to remember so much contentious banter on other Beta Firmware threads. Perhaps people are just on edge because of otherworldly issues, or who know. It is the holiday season, I try to be grateful for what I have and not focus on the have-nots. Perspective is everything.

Grateful for Fractal for not resting on their laurels with the FM3 and having come out with the FM9. Grateful to have seen the announcement for the FM9 early enough to have gotten on the waitlist and received the unit this year. Grateful that there is even a Beta FW release to be working with even knowing that it is a Beta and will inherently have bugs. Grateful that there is this forum and that I can share as a member of a community, even if some may think it is slanted (their issue, not mine).

Keep it close to the heart and happy last week and a half of the year everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom