FM9 Faulty footswitch

Yes - please do get in touch. Every footswitch and knob is tested (personally by me) before a unit ships. It's actually impossible to complete the pre-shipping tests without pressing all the footswitches, so if something is acting weird, let me know and I'll do my best to help. Obviously, if something has gone wrong, I'll get a replacement unit out immediately.

I just had my 3rd scene switch stop working in OFM9G mode. Similarly, I could choose scene 3 and scene 7 with the editor, but not by pushing the switch. I rotated the switch back and forth and rebooted the FM9 and it works now. Makes me think it's a software issue, as the switches are pretty robust.
rotating the switch definitely wouldn't do anything. Sounds like something went squiffy with the preset or layout and a reboot cleared it.

Last edited:
Ok, so.....Have not had much time to mess about with the FM9 since the original post, but, eventually, I sat down to do a Factory Reset as kindly advised. Lo and behold, that footswith (#4) was working again - yup, that's before I did the reset. So, all good, must have been a glitch etc. Went back to band practice and this time the third footswitch wouldn't function! WTAF??? Er, is there an impossibly subtle imbalance in the floor levels in that place??? Anyhow, I have since had time to do a Factroy Reset and now all is/seems well with everything evidently working as it should. Bit of a curious experience from start to finish, to be honest. Hoping it was just 'one of those things', etc. Thanks to all who responded to my original post. Will update if necessary, but hoping that it won't be....

And yeah, Global Blocks please!!!

Yes - please do get in touch. Every footswitch and knob is tested (personally by me) before a unit ships. It's actually impossible to complete the pre-shipping tests without pressing all the footswitches, so if something is acting weird, let me know and I'll do my best to help. Obviously, if something has gone wrong, I'll get a replacement unit out immediately.

rotating the switch definitely wouldn't do anything. Sounds like something went squiffy with the preset or layout and a reboot cleared it.
Thanks very much, Sukh. If it starts playing up again, I will be in touch. Cheers.

Has anyone had a problem with the onboard footwitches on the FM9 Turbo? I just got mine and the fourth footswitch is dead for both presets and scenes when used manually. It loads from FM9 edit, but once I change footswitch it is dead again.

@minseito Have you had this problem again since you did the factory reset in November? I seem to be having a similar problem. One switch won't work, but then works after a reboot. This has happened a couple of times now.

It’s possible that the problem is a glitch in the system configuration, so resetting the unit to factory settings and reloading the OFM9G layout could clear that. See pages 101 and 106 in the manual, otherwise support@fractalaudio.com would be my recommendation for additional help.

Quick question about this: If I back up my current system settings, do a factory reset and then reinstall my backed up settings, would I just be reintroducing the cause of the glitch in the system configuration?

Did you try greasng the switch? Because apparently that's a thing unique to Fractal fm9 units that we are required to perform after purchase for the switches to have s hour of functioning properly.
And yes, I still think that's s weak response and solution to a clear hardware issue on a $2k guitar pedal.

Did you try greasng the switch? Because apparently that's a thing unique to Fractal fm9 units that we are required to perform after purchase for the switches to have s hour of functioning properly.
Who's "we"? I've never had to do such a thing and I'm guessing the vast majority of others haven't either. Your post implies that's normal instead of a rare occurrence. I think that's probably misleading.

Who's "we"? I've never had to do such a thing and I'm guessing the vast majority of others haven't either. Your post implies that's normal instead of a rare occurrence. I think that's probably misleading.
I was told to do this by fractal when my footswitch was getting stuck if not hit just right - it has worked no issues since.

here is where I got it -https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-footswitches-feel-a-little-rough-while-pressing-them.181479/page-3#post-2237779

My issue is not with the switch getting physically stuck. When testing I pressed it with my hand repeatedly and it depresses smoothly, but it does not register on the "EZ" page. So, it seems more like a firmware issue, especially since it is resolved by a reboot. But I'm open to other possibilities.

I was told to do this by fractal when my footswitch was getting stuck if not hit just right - it has worked no issues since.

here is where I got it -https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-footswitches-feel-a-little-rough-while-pressing-them.181479/page-3#post-2237779
I'm pretty sure I remember that conversation but Musikron's implication was that everyone needs to do by default which is false. I'm not saying it hasn't happened; I'm saying I think it's exceedingly rare.

My issue is not with the switch getting physically stuck. When testing I pressed it with my hand repeatedly and it depresses smoothly, but it does not register on the "EZ" page. So, it seems more like a firmware issue, especially since it is resolved by a reboot. But I'm open to other possibilities.
Did you try a factory reset yet?

I did a factory reset and then re-installed my backed up system config. So far, so good, but the switch issue was intermittent so time will tell if anything has changed.

I have an original FM9 with a similar issue. It worked correct for a few years.
One of the foot-switch displays is just white (no letters) but the switch works.
When I reboot the unit all of the foot-switch except the one that is giving me trouble display show 3 dashes "---" until the unit is fully powered up.
Then they all but the trouble one display correctly.
At first the troubled foot-switch display worked until I changed scene or preset and then it would go blank, this made me think it was a software issue. So, I updated firmware and it now does not display at all (just white, with no letters), but again the button works.
Seems like the display is not getting the signal to allow it to display anything, which would be a hardware issue.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I have an older FM9, problem just started.
One of the foot switch display is just white (blank white with no letters)
The foot switch works but display does not.
It originally worked when i first turned on unit but after changing scenes it would go blank. Now it is always blank white

Any thoughts

I have an original FM9 with a similar issue. It worked correct for a few years.
One of the foot-switch displays is just white (no letters) but the switch works.
When I reboot the unit all of the foot-switch except the one that is giving me trouble display show 3 dashes "---" until the unit is fully powered up.
Then they all but the trouble one display correctly.
At first the troubled foot-switch display worked until I changed scene or preset and then it would go blank, this made me think it was a software issue. So, I updated firmware and it now does not display at all (just white, with no letters), but again the button works.
Seems like the display is not getting the signal to allow it to display anything, which would be a hardware issue.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Contact support...

Back
Top Bottom