FM9 FAQ

I'm on my phone and thought that the page I referenced had a CPU comparison. Looks like I sent you to the wrong page

There is a chart on fractalaudio.com that compares CPU power of the different models. AxeFX MK2 has roughly 3x the horsepower of a FM9. FM9 Turbo is about 10% more powerful than a FM9 standard. This gives a ballpark comparison.

Does anyone know the CPU Performance Comparison between the Axe-FX III (Non-Turbo) vs FM9 Turbo?
There’s not an exact comparison because the hardware is different and the firmware uses the CPUs differently.

"The III uses (1) dual-core Texas Instruments DSP. The FM3 uses (1) dual-core Analog Devices DSP. The FM9 uses (2) dual-core Analog Devices DSPs. The TI DSPs are much more powerful than the Analog Devices DSPs per clock and run at around twice the clock speed as well. So one TI DSP core is about four times more powerful than one Analog Devices DSP core. If we normalize processing power to the III it would be:

• Axe-Fx III: 100%
  • FM9: 50%
  • FM3: 25%
So why not use the TI DSPs in everything? Power. The TI DSPs use more power and generate more heat requiring active cooling. They are also more complicated to use requiring dedicated clock generation units, multiple power supplies with specific sequencing requirements, etc." [6]

The rough comparison is that the non-Turbo FX3 is approximately 2x faster than the standard FM9 Mk I. The FM9-Turbo is 11.11% faster than the FM9 Mk I. Figure 200%-11.11%=188.89% roughly.

In reality, because they use their processors differently, presets that seem like they wouldn’t run on the FM9 at first glance can actually run well, it just depends on what blocks and models are in the preset.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction. I was referencing an old chart by memory. I forgot that the FM9 was not listed in comparison to the FX3.

There’s not an exact comparison because the hardware is different and the firmware uses the CPUs differently.

The rough comparison is that the non-Turbo FX3 is approximately 2x faster than the standard FM9 Mk I. The FM9-Turbo is 11.11% faster than the FM9 Mk I. Figure 200%-11.11%=188.89% roughly.

In reality, because they use their processors differently, presets that seem like they wouldn’t run on the FM9 at first glance can actually run well, it just depends on what blocks and models are in the preset.
Lol, I love the term “roughly” applied to estimated data quoted to 2 decimal places ;)

For those with an FM3/FM9/Turbo, how do you guys get around having no tone match block? Tuning by ear, using Match EQ in your DAW, etc.?

Quick question: with a trs cable you can use 2 buttons on an expression connection? And give them press and hold functions?

Quick question: with a trs cable you can use 2 buttons on an expression connection? And give them press and hold functions?
I use a simple 2-button external switch connected with a TRS cable to one of the Pedal jacks on the FM3. That enables me to set a Tap and Hold function on each switch.

The pedal jacks on FM9 support only a single switch or an expression pedal, unlike the FM3 and FCs which support 2 switches per jack.

You can use a 2-button switch and TRS cable but only 1 switch will work.

You can also use a TRS "insert" cable that splits Tip and Ring signals to TS plugs and use 2 pedal jacks.

Tap and Hold works in both cases.
I use a simple 2-button external switch connected with a TRS cable to one of the Pedal jacks on the FM3. That enables me to set a Tap and Hold function on each switch.
See my comments above - the FM9 pedal jacks are different from FM3.

Sorry if this has been answered before. Is there a way to reset individual presets back to the default? I know you can back them up but did so after I made changes. Thanks

Edit
Just found the answer as well page 45 of manual

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been answered before. Is there a way to reset individual presets back to the default? I know you can back them up but did so after I made changes. Thanks

Edit
Just found the answer as well page 45 of manual
I couldn't find this on page 45 which seems to be "Example Preset Grids". I did find something on page 39, which shows how to reset all the presets back. Where in the manual did you find the answer to reset an individual preset please?

For those with an FM3/FM9/Turbo, how do you guys get around having no tone match block? Tuning by ear, using Match EQ in your DAW, etc.?
Use one of the numerous plugins available for your DAW and then either export an IR from that, or match the EQ profile using the PEQ block in the FM9.

I couldn't find this on page 45 which seems to be "Example Preset Grids". I did find something on page 39, which shows how to reset all the presets back. Where in the manual did you find the answer to reset an individual preset please?
My apologies, when I read the manual from my phone it’s page 45 however the actual page is 39.

I meant I got my answer when I read that you have to download the presets from the Fractal Website… sorry for the confusion! That’s essentially what I did.
What I’ve started to do is not touch the presets in the library and if I want to use one duplicate it to another location and keep the stock presets as masters.
IMG_5573.png

Back
Top Bottom