FM9 Factory Presets version 3.0 Release

I used to always think the presets sounded just okay. I used the same set of alesis 6” monitors since I was like 15. I recently bought hs8s and man….I wish I did sooner. The presets not only sound great, everything just sounds so much better.

So I agree with the other guys saying it prob is the way youre hearing them. It wouldn’t make sense that they are 384 flops
To be clear I didn’t say all 384 sounded dark and muffled, I said “many” of them do. And I play them both through amp and cab with cab sims off and through Matrix CLR monitors with cab sims on. AFAIK the CLR’s are still the gold standard for FRFR. Anyway, if it’s just me then I guess it’s just me. I always end up making my own presets anyway. I’ll try to give some examples of ones I find impossibly dark.

Reactions: yek
Interesting. I haven’t had any issues with the presets either (I typically play through real amp FX loop and real cab with cab sims off and power amp modeling on). I’ve gone through an awful lot of them too (past presets—I don’t have the new ones yet). That doesn’t mean you’re not having issues though. Will be interested to see which ones you’re having that problem with.

In case anyone cares, I was skipping around kind of randomly and noted examples of some presets/scenes that in my opinion, to my ears, sound way too dark or muffled for me to ever use them live as is. If others disagree that's fine, I'll move on. And to reiterate, I appreciate the massive amount of work that went into these and also how easy it is for me to tweak them to my liking, so I'm not complaining. I just want to see the 9 and other Fractal products put their best foot foward:

P12 USA Mkiv scene 2 rhythm
P30 Wreckers scene 4 Liverpool
P35 Tucana scene 6 dry lead
P38 ODS, pretty much every scene.
P40 Budda scene 1 cleaner
P48 CA OD2 scene 2
P51 Two Stone pretty much all but particularly scenes 7 and 8
P57 Tweed scene 1 (I know Tweeds can get boomy)
P61 Fox scene 7
P62 Nuclear scene 1
P73 ODS scene 1
P119 Cork Sniffers scenes 3 and 4 (HRM)

Also FWIW I've owned versions of many of these amps. I had Wrecker Liverpool clone, several good ODS and HRM clones (Quinn, Two Rock Em Pro, Fuchs ODS II), a CA OD2, a Two Rock J35, a Fuchs ODS.

Appreciate the effort that goes into this but as an owner of multiple Fractal units going back to the Ultra I always think the presets do a poor job of representing the quality of sounds in the unit. So many of them are so dark and muffled. It’s not hard to fix with EQ, the Cut switch and sometimes Low cut adjustments but I’m always baffled that somebody would listen to them and think it they sounded good enough.
Just a suggestion. Try the ones you think dark with single coils. There are many that were dialed in for single coils and a dark humbucker will lose the top end.

For example, the Police one 'Message on the Moon" won't sound right with humbuckers. It's a Tele or single coil/Strat. It will brighten up appropriately.

I use that split coil on my humbuckers a good bit when playing these.

Last edited:
In case anyone cares, I was skipping around kind of randomly and noted examples of some presets/scenes that in my opinion, to my ears, sound way too dark or muffled for me to ever use them live as is. If others disagree that's fine, I'll move on. And to reiterate, I appreciate the massive amount of work that went into these and also how easy it is for me to tweak them to my liking, so I'm not complaining. I just want to see the 9 and other Fractal products put their best foot foward:

P12 USA Mkiv scene 2 rhythm
P30 Wreckers scene 4 Liverpool
P35 Tucana scene 6 dry lead
P38 ODS, pretty much every scene.
P40 Budda scene 1 cleaner
P48 CA OD2 scene 2
P51 Two Stone pretty much all but particularly scenes 7 and 8
P57 Tweed scene 1 (I know Tweeds can get boomy)
P61 Fox scene 7
P62 Nuclear scene 1
P73 ODS scene 1
P119 Cork Sniffers scenes 3 and 4 (HRM)

Also FWIW I've owned versions of many of these amps. I had Wrecker Liverpool clone, several good ODS and HRM clones (Quinn, Two Rock Em Pro, Fuchs ODS II), a CA OD2, a Two Rock J35, a Fuchs ODS.

Thanks for the examples, that clears it up. Yes, some of these are quite dark. Depending on the guitar, because they're okay with a bright Suhr. As Buddy wrote, traditionally most of the factory presets are dialed in with single coils. But the presets never drift away far from the characteristic sound / defaults and some amps / models are just dark by nature. For example, the Mark IV Rhythm channel and model, often used without the GEQ, sounds dull in real too, with controls around noon. Finally, the IRs are a factor too. Some of the examples, like Nuclear Tone, just use a single R121 IR. Some will like that, because that amp / model is often used for jazz, some won't.

And WOW, that is or was quite the amp collection you got!

I blame my memory.
Should be me to blame. I know how much Matt likes his custom natural finish Strat for example, sitting next to his unit!

But the real reason I also asserted it was because whenever I hit a preset that sounded too dark with my SG, I switched to split coil and everything sounded like I would expect it to.

So people should know to try that.

Appreciate the effort that goes into this but as an owner of multiple Fractal units going back to the Ultra I always think the presets do a poor job of representing the quality of sounds in the unit. So many of them are so dark and muffled. It’s not hard to fix with EQ, the Cut switch and sometimes Low cut adjustments but I’m always baffled that somebody would listen to them and think it they sounded good enough.
And I am always baffled by statements like yours? Not trying to argue but I totally and always disagree with this when someone says it. I have been here since the beginning also. Then again I never mess with the hi gain presets so maybe that's what you and others mean. Sure plenty of them are just buried in FX but others are ready to go.
EDIT: just saw your post with examples.....Hmmmm? No surprise on your examples. except for maybe the tweed

I loaded Bank B onto my Axe-Fx III to check out #203, "Undulation". On the Axe-Fx III it uses Plexi 1 & 2, but on the FM9 version there is a blank box where Plexi 2 should be. The scenes still reference Plexi 2 tho. Is this how it actually looks on the FM9?

I loaded Bank B onto my Axe-Fx III to check out #203, "Undulation". On the Axe-Fx III it uses Plexi 1 & 2, but on the FM9 version there is a blank box where Plexi 2 should be. The scenes still reference Plexi 2 tho. Is this how it actually looks on the FM9?

Yes, that's not intended and has been noted already.

Back
Top Bottom