FM9-Edit 1.00.02 (to support fw 2.0 public beta)

So, I updated to beta 2.0 firmware. Quit FractalBot. Then installed this new beta editor. I am on a Mac running Big Sur.

The new FM9 editor worked the first time I ran it. Refreshed definitions.

Then I tried to load 128 presets from the III into FM9 (new Cygnus Naked Amps Bank 1), using the FM9 preset manager.

The operation aborted itself when i dragged them over to write into Bank D. When this happened, A terminal window opened up. I closed it. Maybe it's still running...

But now, this beta editor I restarted will not see the attached FM9, it thinks another one is attached (there is not).

I have rebooted both hardware and software, tried twice, it does not fix it. I am going to post this now, then reboot the computer. i suspect that terminal window is still open and fooling the editor into thinking another FM9 is attached (there is not).

Here are screen shots. I cannot connect to the FM9 now with editor. When i try to select FM9, it gives the error message you see.

Just letting you know. I'll post this, reboot, and try again.

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 6.20.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-19 at 6.21.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-19 at 6.20.49 PM.png

Okay, so trying to import a III bank into the FM9 is crashing the editor and causing the subsequent issue.

Upon crashing, it also opens up the terminal window. Pasting screen shot below.

So I guess Preset Manager is not ready for this yet.

All the presets I'm trying to import from the III into the FM9 only have two cab IRs in the first two slots of any cab block, but do have an Output 4 on them, usually it just removes the Out4.

Let me know what I can do to help. I'm sure a lot of people want to import their III presets into the FM9 in batches. If I have time later I will try to import one at a time in Preset Manager and see if issues happens then too.

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 6.42.35 PM.png

Okay, so next, re-booted I tried to import a single preset - using IMPORT - and that worked fine.

Then used Preset Manager to drag just one preset over to FM9 ( preset was from a III saved format). I did not hit save, but it appeared to work in editor/imported fine.

So next, started Preset Manager. Loaded up a III version of fw17.02 saved presets in a bank.

Started dragging groups of five presets over at a time (without a save for each batch) into slots, they initially populated fine. I got up to three different groups of 5 presets dragged over with no issue -- but on my fourth grab and drag of four presets, the editor crashed again and the terminal window opened again, and I could not connect to FM9 via editor without exiting everything and rebooting my computer.

So, is there a buffer or limit now on how many presets one can drag into FM9 memory with preset manager that isn't there on the III? I used to be able to copy/drag move 128 presets on a III or over from a III to a FM3, hit SAVE, and walk away for 20 minutes -- and it would save all 128 of them flawlessly.

I'm always looking for fast efficient ways to work and the editor usually works great. Is the FM9 different, is this a bug? Thanks @Michael Pickens

Okay, so next, re-booted I tried to import a single preset - using IMPORT - and that worked fine.

Then used Preset Manager to drag just one preset over to FM9 ( preset was from a III saved format). I did not hit save, but it appeared to work in editor/imported fine.

So next, started Preset Manager. Loaded up a III version of fw17.02 saved presets in a bank.

Started dragging groups of five presets over at a time (without a save for each batch) into slots, they initially populated fine. I got up to three different groups of 5 presets dragged over with no issue -- but on my fourth grab and drag of four presets, the editor crashed again and the terminal window opened again, and I could not connect to FM9 via editor without exiting everything and rebooting my computer.

So, is there a buffer or limit now on how many presets one can drag into FM9 memory with preset manager that isn't there on the III? I used to be able to copy/drag move 128 presets on a III or over from a III to a FM3, hit SAVE, and walk away for 20 minutes -- and it would save all 128 of them flawlessly.

I'm always looking for fast efficient ways to work and the editor usually works great. Is the FM9 different, is this a bug? Thanks @Michael Pickens
I have had very similar preset management difficulties with mine on the earlier firmware and editor. Pulling a backup file into the management window's left side bin seemed to help some, rather than trying to move them or copy/paste them from one spot to another....

@Michael Pickens

The Setup > Tuner screen in FM9-Edit misses two commands: Display Mode and Downtune. FIXED

Also, the Impedance field in the Input 1 block doesn't show the actual impedance when set to AUTO (Axe-Edit III shows the actual value). FIXED

Last edited:
This update made my FM9 Edit very laggy and unresponsive at times. Changes on the FM9 would not reflect on it. The Scene Levels Screen is just blank and not detecting output signal so its not possible to level out the scenes with the edit anymore.

Not sure what's happening with your computers...currently running iMac M1 Monterey 12.2 and FW v 2.00 beta with FM9-Edit v 1.00.3.

Yes, there is a slightly longer delay switching between presets in the editor. Is this also the case on the hardware itself? If not, can we live with the perhaps extra 0.5 s delay? It's really not that much difference, is there?

In defense of FAS, like we've always done with any recent OS or firmware update, we need to relax and not get our fruit of the looms in a bunch. Too often we fly off the handle way too quickly over small grievances, when we just need to think with cool heads and accept that nothing in this world we live in works perfectly.

The sooner we realize this, the less likely we are to think this really isn't what mainstream computing is about. Enjoy life while we can, but don't worry if the future holds out better promises if we just wait for them.

Last edited:
If not, can we live with the perhaps extra 0.5 ms delay? It's really not that much difference, is there?

0.5ms would not be generating complaints. FM9Edit has been pretty well documented as having issues with slowness by a number of people. Count yourself lucky you are apparently not having issues.

we need to relax and not get our fruit of the looms in a bunch.

Minimizing others' problems is not a very friendly thing to do. Just sayin'....

Too often we fly off the handle way too quickly over small grievances, when we just need to think with cool heads and accept that nothing in this world we live in works perfectly.

No sane person expects perfection, but there is clearly an issue if someone was assigned to do "deep optimization" work....

0.5ms would not be generating complaints. FM9Edit has been pretty well documented as having issues with slowness by a number of people. Count yourself lucky you are apparently not having issues.
I needed to correct my previous post, realizing my error. 0.5 s is more accurate lag time, yet that doesn't seem to be much of an issue in my case because my iMac M1 seems to be handling things well...
Minimizing others' problems is not a very friendly thing to do. Just sayin'....
My apologies, just trying to make others' problems to feel lighter than a heavy burden that they might already be.
No sane person expects perfection, but there is clearly an issue if someone was assigned to do "deep optimization" work....
Of course, but one can't expect humans to be perfect in any sense. It's just how we are. Though my feeling is that the bug errors will be a thing of the past if we wait patiently for the solutions to arrive from the powers that be. Call me an optimist. I just can't let discouraging things bother me too much; life is too short.

Manage Presets bit my ass tonight.

I was trying to move just 2 presets so they would start on a bank boundary.

After moving both in the tool and saving, I was seeing the same preset on both slots (from the FM9 layout).

Went back into Manage Presets and I see the 1st preset in the original location and the 2nd duplicated on the next 2 slots, even after refreshing the preset list.

Move the 1st preset to the next slot (again) and saved.

After the very slow save operation I suddenly have no output... WTF?

My preset moved correctly so why no audio?

Then I noticed that the Level control of the Amp block was at -80! And all the other settings were default values. Ugh!

Since I have a few amp variations on different channels I checked those. All the other channels have Level at -80.

Fortunately I was able to get the preset restored from a backup...

Manage Presets bit my ass tonight.

I was trying to move just 2 presets so they would start on a bank boundary.

After moving both in the tool and saving, I was seeing the same preset on both slots (from the FM9 layout).

Went back into Manage Presets and I see the 1st preset in the original location and the 2nd duplicated on the next 2 slots, even after refreshing the preset list.

Move the 1st preset to the next slot (again) and saved.

After the very slow save operation I suddenly have no output... WTF?

My preset moved correctly so why no audio?

Then I noticed that the Level control of the Amp block was at -80! And all the other settings were default values. Ugh!

Since I have a few amp variations on different channels I checked those. All the other channels have Level at -80.

Fortunately I was able to get the preset restored from a backup...
Had something similar happen recently....

Last edited:
Yeah, some strange and not so funky things going on in FM9 preset manager tool. Waiting for next firmware and editor in the hopes FAS will address for that.

Keep posting preset manager issues you discover - the beta team is aware problems exist, let's try to categorize them all as we hit them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom