FM9 Case?

View attachment 91216View attachment 91215

I just purchased the Gator Helix roll case based on the recommendations here. As you can see, it is nearly a perfect fit for the FM9 and an EV-1. I highly recommend this case.

This package is 26.8 pounds in total. That is about half the weight of my Axe-FX III / power conditioner / rack case and that doesn’t even take into account the weight of my floor board with the FC-6 and expression pedals. This is going to make load in /out super

And it rolls 👍🏼

Those egg crate foam strips are just velcroed in, so they’re moveable/removable. They’re ok, but I wanted to beef up the protection a little more. I got 2 foam squares off Amazon (12x12x2) and they just pop right in snugly, no cutting. FYI.

Attachments

• 73A9AEB1-D635-41FC-8CCD-CD37696D6F2A.jpeg
    73A9AEB1-D635-41FC-8CCD-CD37696D6F2A.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 32731401-2396-4318-B7E1-0ABBDD164FD1.jpeg
    32731401-2396-4318-B7E1-0ABBDD164FD1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 137
Here is my case! I have had this one sense AX8! Just some inexpensive no name ebay deal. It's not ATA rated so it's pretty light. I think I paid $80 for it when I bought it. It's perfect for that occasional gig I couldn't be happier. View attachment 91230View attachment 91232

Ahh. I love the DB Instrument 4E Expression pedal !!! I've been loyal to mine since they came out. The only thing that could possibly make it better is if they added a toe switch.

I'm curious about your setup though. I notice you have a dual switch to the side of your FM9, and the 4E. Are you only using a single axis of the 4E? Or a single remote switch? Or have you figured out a way to use both switches and both axis?

Ahh. I love the DB Instrument 4E Expression pedal !!! I've been loyal to mine since they came out. The only thing that could possibly make it better is if they added a toe switch.

I'm curious about your setup though. I notice you have a dual switch to the side of your FM9, and the 4E. Are you only using a single axis of the 4E? Or a single remote switch? Or have you figured out a way to use both switches and both axis?
YES! Love the 4E Once I saw the Pete Thorn demo I knew I had to have it! The only way that could have been better is if the chassis was made from Aluminum. The Steel is a tad heavy but still worth it.

The T1M R2E2 is a holdover from my FM3 board! I'm currently waiting for a box to build a single button to take its place.

I would double check the dimensions on this.. internal dimensions are 24x8x3” and according to the wiki the FM9 is 20.2x9.2x3.5”

Meaning that case is both too short and too narrow, right?

I don't have the FM9 yet, but my FC12 and Mission SP1 fit in the Metro 24 bag perfectly. This is the standard one that came with my Metro 24 board. I used to have my FC6 with 2 stand-ins and 2 mini Dunlop expressions mounted on the Metro 24 board and that fit perfectly too, just a little tighter. IMG_6121.jpeg Been using this since I got the FC12.

I don't have the FM9 yet, but my FC12 and Mission SP1 fit in the Metro 24 bag perfectly. This is the standard one that came with my Metro 24 board. I used to have my FC6 with 2 stand-ins and 2 mini Dunlop expressions mounted on the Metro 24 board and that fit perfectly too, just a little tighter. View attachment 91431 Been using this since I got the FC12.
Excellent! That's the $80 option I linked to in my post. Great confirmation!

I don't have the FM9 yet, but my FC12 and Mission SP1 fit in the Metro 24 bag perfectly. This is the standard one that came with my Metro 24 board. I used to have my FC6 with 2 stand-ins and 2 mini Dunlop expressions mounted on the Metro 24 board and that fit perfectly too, just a little tighter. View attachment 91431 Been using this since I got the FC12.
Awesome - always great to see the device in the bag! Looks like it fits about the same as their premium case, so now folks have a cheaper option… (or a free option if they have one lying around, lol).

The band I play with is on the road again come December, probably for the best part of 18 months. We're looking at 2-4 flights per week, every week and some very large crowds. I'm taking the FM9 out for this one so I had a case built for it by Chris Hine at C&C Cases here in Melbourne. Chris builds all of my touring cases. I thought you might like to see it.

C&C-FM9-case.jpg
It's heavy duty but still weighs in, loaded, at 16.5kg. That will keep the airport check-in happy.

Case-open.jpg
When you open the case you're presented with a removable tray on which Fractal hardware is mounted. Simple. There's room enough for a couple of cables - power, audio, etc.

Tray-removed.jpg
The tray is simply removed with the side handles and placed on the stage. The FM9 and EV-1 are secured with dual locked risers and bolted on respectively. You would need a good right arm and a tyre jack to dislodge them.

Front-view---risers-and-dual-lock.jpg
Risers and Dual Lock beneath the FM9. The EV-1 is bolted on. I was originally going for the EV-2 (size). In fact, this tray previously housed my FM3 - FC-6 - EV-2 setup. But we decided not to waste anything and the FM9/EV-1 fit like a glove. A pancaked right-angle TRS will be installed to connect the EV-1 to the FM9.

rear-and-side.jpg
Rear and side.

Front-and-side.jpg
Front and side.

The philosophy behind the design was simple: It must be tough enough to withstand countless knocks and throws by truck and airport loaders and quick enough to facilitate short changeover times on stage. I think we've nailed it but I'll be able to report back honestly in a few months. Cost? About AUD$500. Worth every cent considering the conditions it will be subject to.

Attachments

• Front-and-side.jpg
    Front-and-side.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 15
The band I play with is on the road again come December, probably for the best part of 18 months. We're looking at 2-4 flights per week, every week and some very large crowds. I'm taking the FM9 out for this one so I had a case built for it by Chris Hine at C&C Cases here in Melbourne. Chris builds all of my touring cases. I thought you might like to see it.

View attachment 91627
It's heavy duty but still weighs in, loaded, at 16.5kg. That will keep the airport check-in happy.

View attachment 91628
When you open the case you're presented with a removable tray on which Fractal hardware is mounted. Simple. There's room enough for a couple of cables - power, audio, etc.

View attachment 91630
The tray is simply removed with the side handles and placed on the stage. The FM9 and EV-1 are secured with dual locked risers and bolted on respectively. You would need a good right arm and a tyre jack to dislodge them.

View attachment 91631
Risers and Dual Lock beneath the FM9. The EV-1 is bolted on. I was originally going for the EV-2 (size). In fact, this tray previously housed my FM3 - FC-6 - EV-2 setup. But we decided not to waste anything and the FM9/EV-1 fit like a glove. A pancaked right-angle TRS will be installed to connect the EV-1 to the FM9.

View attachment 91632
Rear and side.

View attachment 91633
Front and side.

The philosophy behind the design was simple: It must be tough enough to withstand countless knocks and throws by truck and airport loaders and quick enough to facilitate short changeover times on stage. I think we've nailed it but I'll be able to report back honestly in a few months. Cost? About AUD$500. Worth every cent considering the conditions it will be subject to.
Love it. Very clean and simple. What are the dimensions?

After way too much analysis, I just ended up going with the helix backpack. I was going to do the Metro24 case, which would be a bit smaller form factor, but I think everyone in this thread probably bought up all the the inventory in the US haha. And honestly I have a friend's helix at my disposal as a backup so nice that the case also fits that...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom