FM9 Case?

The band I play with is on the road again come December, probably for the best part of 18 months. We're looking at 2-4 flights per week, every week and some very large crowds. I'm taking the FM9 out for this one so I had a case built for it by Chris Hine at C&C Cases here in Melbourne. Chris builds all of my touring cases. I thought you might like to see it.

View attachment 91627
It's heavy duty but still weighs in, loaded, at 16.5kg. That will keep the airport check-in happy.

View attachment 91628
When you open the case you're presented with a removable tray on which Fractal hardware is mounted. Simple. There's room enough for a couple of cables - power, audio, etc.

View attachment 91630
The tray is simply removed with the side handles and placed on the stage. The FM9 and EV-1 are secured with dual locked risers and bolted on respectively. You would need a good right arm and a tyre jack to dislodge them.

View attachment 91631
Risers and Dual Lock beneath the FM9. The EV-1 is bolted on. I was originally going for the EV-2 (size). In fact, this tray previously housed my FM3 - FC-6 - EV-2 setup. But we decided not to waste anything and the FM9/EV-1 fit like a glove. A pancaked right-angle TRS will be installed to connect the EV-1 to the FM9.

View attachment 91632
Rear and side.

View attachment 91633
Front and side.

The philosophy behind the design was simple: It must be tough enough to withstand countless knocks and throws by truck and airport loaders and quick enough to facilitate short changeover times on stage. I think we've nailed it but I'll be able to report back honestly in a few months. Cost? About AUD$500. Worth every cent considering the conditions it will be subject to.
I may just get the same thing! Do you have your order specs to help me expedite the process?

Link? This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not flying with mine but I want a decent live in case. All the extra stuff you have in next level!
This was the place I got it from but that was 7 years ago and was a second which is why it was so inexpensive. Not so much the deal any longer.

When I built it it was mainly just to keep the dust off of it in the man cave! I have actually been gigging out a lot more as of late so hauling it around though not that big of a deal has become somewhat of a liability to my Truck, not paying attention and put a nice ding in the paint a few weeks back :mad:.

I'm actually moving to a Temple Audio DUO 34 board with a Studio Slips soft case to try and shed some weight, so this case is going to the way side. If you'er interested hit me up maybe we can work out a deal for something that fits what you are looking to do or just the empty box with a piece of 3/4" plywood in it ;).

This was the place I got it from but that was 7 years ago and was a second which is why it was so inexpensive. Not so much the deal any longer.

When I built it it was mainly just to keep the dust off of it in the man cave! I have actually been gigging out a lot more as of late so hauling it around though not that big of a deal has become somewhat of a liability to my Truck, not paying attention and put a nice ding in the paint a few weeks back :mad:.

I'm actually moving to a Temple Audio DUO 34 board with a Studio Slips soft case to try and shed some weight, so this case is going to the way side. If you'er interested hit me up maybe we can work out a deal for something that fits what you are looking to do or just the empty box with a piece of 3/4" plywood in it ;).
Thank you but I’m going to be looking at a custom set up to accommodate my needs. Thanks for offering though.

I'm looking for a case with Wheels, that doesn't break the bank. The Seahorse 920 on Amazon is around $180 currently. Is there anything comperable in that price range?

This might be silly but it really works for me. If I was playing out regularly I would put it on something more appropriate but this is great for the occasional small gathering.

plenty of room for cables and power cords in the front pockets. Back pack or carry:

Attachments

• 530914A1-F48E-4BE2-835C-E79B09F725F3.jpeg
    530914A1-F48E-4BE2-835C-E79B09F725F3.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 106
  • 41BB1572-AE80-440E-9308-A04B2257FECE.jpeg
    41BB1572-AE80-440E-9308-A04B2257FECE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 107
This might be silly but it really works for me. If I was playing out regularly I would put it on something more appropriate but this is great for the occasional small gathering.

plenty of room for cables and power cords in the front pockets. Back pack or carry:
That's not crazy. I have, on occasion, stuck my FM9 in one side of my 2-guitar Mono gig bag to save on what I have to carry and keep it all on my back.

Just picked up a brand new Pelican case, black with wheels from a family member who has a few for sale.
It's the real deal, well built and able to withstand anything that comes its way.
Cool thing was that I swapped a few high end pedals that I didn't need anymore, because of the FM9 having those delays / reverbs.

Here you go :)
Caveats:
Bit of a work in progress but I compiled the best of the bunch. Still have to complete EUR and GBP pricing. Some of the items are not available outside the US or will likely be pricey to ship.
I haven't included custom cases on here as prices will vary drastically and everyones needs are different.

Hope this helps in some way.
Amazing! Thank you for this!

Question for y’all. How important is it that the FM9 sits on top of another board? Possibly with an expression pedal.

I just picked up two EV2 pedals but every time at rehearsal I just place everything loose on the floor.

Question for y’all. How important is it that the FM9 sits on top of another board? Possibly with an expression pedal.

I just picked up two EV2 pedals but every time at rehearsal I just place everything loose on the floor.
I use the FM9 on a Temple Audio Duo 24, which nicely fits it. I went that route because I could use very low profile 1/4” TRS and XLR right angle plugs on the back and connect to the Temple Audio Mods on the ends of the board, keeping the connections on the unit as protected as I could. That helps avoid wear and tear. My foot controllers sit on the floor to the right of the pedalboard.

The first time I took my FM3 out a drunk singer stepped on one of the regular XLR connectors and the channel died to one of my FRFR cabs. I thought that the connector on FM3 had been broken, but luckily it turned out to be just the cable’s connector. It taught me a lesson though.

I use the FM9 on a Temple Audio Duo 24, which nicely fits it. I went that route because I could use very low profile 1/4” TRS and XLR right angle plugs on the back and connect to the Temple Audio Mods on the ends of the board, keeping the connections on the unit as protected as I could. That helps avoid wear and tear. My foot controllers sit on the floor to the right of the pedalboard.

The first time I took my FM3 out a drunk singer stepped on one of the regular XLR connectors and the channel died to one of my FRFR cabs. I thought that the connector on FM3 had been broken, but luckily it turned out to be just the cable’s connector.
Yeah damn!!! I am thinking the Temple Duo 34 which would fit the FM9 and the two EV2's....

I was reading with the temple mods is that the XLR turns into an 1/4 to accommodate the fit? Is that the case? No issues there?

I am thinking the Temple Duo 34 which would fit the FM9 and the two EV2's....
I didn’t want to extra weight and size of the Duo 34. I slam the 24 into too many doors and walls as it is.

I was reading with the temple mods is that the XLR turns into an 1/4 to accommodate the fit? Is that the case? No issues there?
They’re TRS so they pass the balanced signal correctly.

The IEC AC power connector is the only one that was a pain. Many times people grind or cut the pedalboard to make a hole that is large enough to pass the connector through. Instead, I cut the wire, fed it through an existing hole, soldered it back together with heat shrink tubing to insulate it and nylon wire ties to keep it from moving around.

I considered adding a USB connector to one end also, but that would require keeping something permanently plugged into the unit’s USB-B jack, and they’re not the strongest connectors ever designed so I decided that wasn’t a good idea. I’d rather have nothing plugged into it except at home where I can control the environment.

Last edited:
The IEC AC power connector is the only one that was a pain. Many times people grind or cut the pedalboard to make a hole that is large enough to pass the connector through. Instead, I cut the wire, fed it through an existing hole, soldered it back together with heat shrink tubing to insulate it and nylon wire ties to keep it from moving around.
Sorry to be a pain but I am looking for more info on this: this does not sound ideal. I see Temple sells the power connector? Why is any modification required?

https://www.long-mcquade.com/136100/Guitars/Pedalboards/Temple-Audio/IEC-AC-Mains-Micro-Module.htm

Sorry to be a pain but I am looking for more info on this: this does not sound ideal. I see Temple sells the power connector? Why is any modification required?

https://www.long-mcquade.com/136100/Guitars/Pedalboards/Temple-Audio/IEC-AC-Mains-Micro-Module.htm
Because it’s hardwired to the module and intended for use with an under-board power supply for effects. Trying to use it with the modeler totally defeats its purpose unless you route the plug through the board somehow.

Because it’s hardwired to the module and intended for use with an under-board power supply for effects. Trying to use it with the modeler totally defeats its purpose unless you route the plug through the board somehow.
Still don't fully understand! But I am taking your word for it.

Looks like none of the temple boards actually work for me - either too small (24) or too big (34)! Drats!

I'm using this Pedaltrain "Premium Soft Case" for my FM9, Mission Aero expression pedal, power cable, two guitar cables, HX Stomp backup rig, and HX stomp power supply. I received it as a gift, and I don't know which model it is for sure. Sweetwater has quite a few variations of this bag:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=pedaltrain+premium+soft+case

I also have the Gator GK-2110 bag, but this is much better. The Pedaltrain case seems to have about twice the thickness of padding on the inside, and the outer pouches on the case are also padded.

I think this might be the model: https://pedaltrain.com/collections/cases/products/pt-m20-psc-x

My case is 23" long including the handle, and about 12" wide in the back including the handle. It's about 7.5" deep from the front of the large pouch to the back.
I decided to get one of these. I have been using it for approx. 9 months. It works well and things fit nicely. However, there is one very annoying aspect to this style case. The lid with the pouches opens longways right to left like a book. This means that any place you lay it down to open it up needs enough space for twice the width of the bag. Space on a stage or in a crowded practice room is always at a premium. If I have gear in the top pouches I find that if I am not careful when I open it up it will fall right off a table. It is often difficult to find some place with enough space to open up the bag for unpacking. I think it would have been much better if they had designed it to open front to back. I know it sounds minor, but I thought it would be helpful to others to factor into their decision. Other than that one gotcha, it is well built, reasonably padded for a soft case and has lots of space. Hope this helps anyone else considering this case.

Edit: Well, after writing up my one complaint I have about this case, it turns out the

Pedaltrain Premium Soft Case for Metro 24​

is no longer available. I do however feel better having gotten this complaint off my chest. 😂😂😂😂😂

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTM24PSC--pedaltrain-premium-soft-case-for-metro-24

Last edited:
I have a BOSS L2 soft bag. I don't know where I got it or why. But I flew with my FM9 in it and it worked great.

Back
Top Bottom