FM9 AutoWah

From the wiki:

"

Envelope Filter (Auto Wah)​

Fractal Audio processors don't provide an Auto Wah effect block. You can achieve this effect by attaching the Envelope controller to a Filter or a Wah block.

Try a factory preset such as the Psychadelic Duck, Frenetica, Track Wah.

Attack is the time it takes to go from silence to maximum level. Release is the time it takes to drop from sustain level to silence after being released."

How to incorporate auto-wah into a preset, please teach me.
It's a good idea to play through the factory presets and listen to the various effects they have because the presets have all sorts of useful tricks to learn. Once you have an idea what's in there you can search the Wiki's Factory Presets page and quickly identify the effect type and jump to presets using it.

For instance:
083 - AUTO WAH FUNK
Fat auto-wah (envelope controls the Wah block). Amp: ODS-100. Previously: "IN A FUNK".

Yes, it is... Else ones will do.

Merry Xmas

I own a Korg A3 and have spent countless hours trying to dial in these patches

The first one, Mystery 76 is one I created using a bunch of parametric eqs to eq match the A3. It is brighter then the actual A3 but I find it works better in the mix. I am using a Les Paul and sometimes a McCarty to play it (no Rickenbacker 12 string) so the extra brightness helps it cut.

The second one has a tone match (exported to a cab block in an IR) and that one is damn near dead on balls identical to what I hear out of my A3. I have exported it as a bundle so you should get the cab with it. When you import it will ask for a location for the IR which you will need to set somewhere in the user space. When you look at the patch, the cab block after the drive is what was the tone match I got on the Axe FX when matching the A3. Not to be confused with the cab block after the amp which is... well your cab.

IMPORTANT! The envelope completely relies on your guitars output, and outputs on guitars vary. Make sure to adjust the envelope threshold to what works best with your guitars output!

Attachments

• Mystery 76.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Mystery 76 TMcb.fasBundle
    20.1 KB · Views: 10
ya im having a harder time dialing in a envelope filter on the FM9, compared to my Ax8 where its great.

Merry Xmas

I own a Korg A3 and have spent countless hours trying to dial in these patches

The first one, Mystery 76 is one I created using a bunch of parametric eqs to eq match the A3. It is brighter then the actual A3 but I find it works better in the mix. I am using a Les Paul and sometimes a McCarty to play it (no Rickenbacker 12 string) so the extra brightness helps it cut.

The second one has a tone match (exported to a cab block in an IR) and that one is damn near dead on balls identical to what I hear out of my A3. I have exported it as a bundle so you should get the cab with it. When you import it will ask for a location for the IR which you will need to set somewhere in the user space. When you look at the patch, the cab block after the drive is what was the tone match I got on the Axe FX when matching the A3. Not to be confused with the cab block after the amp which is... well your cab.

IMPORTANT! The envelope completely relies on your guitars output, and outputs on guitars vary. Make sure to adjust the envelope threshold to what works best with your guitars output!

I’m on the FM3 but was able to import the Mystery preset and save the wah block. The wah is working backwards, starts high and sweeps low. Easy fix but is that the way it was setup, or did importing into the FM3 screw it up?

I’m on the FM3 but was able to import the Mystery preset and save the wah block. The wah is working backwards, starts high and sweeps low. Easy fix but is that the way it was setup, or did importing into the FM3 screw it up?

If I understand you correctly, that is intentional.

That preset is specifically to mimic this song (understand he is using a 12 string guitar for this)

If I understand you correctly, that is intentional.

That preset is specifically to mimic this song (understand he is using a 12 string guitar for this)

Good to know it wasn’t my import going whacky. Also good because in the process of fixing it I learned more about dialing in the envelope.

Good to know it wasn’t my import going whacky. Also good because in the process of fixing it I learned more about dialing in the envelope.

One thing to also keep in mind. With the Mysterious ways patch, I have a mixer setup so that you have clean tone mixed in with the wah. This is actually important when trying to really hit the tone that the Korg A3 does.

However if you are looking for a straight wah sound, you may want NO clean mix. Just be aware that there is a clean mix by default in the patches I provided

One thing to also keep in mind. With the Mysterious ways patch, I have a mixer setup so that you have clean tone mixed in with the wah. This is actually important when trying to really hit the tone that the Korg A3 does.

However if you are looking for a straight wah sound, you may want NO clean mix. Just be aware that there is a clean mix by default in the patches I provided

Having a good day today, sitting on the couch and playing through phones. I was using the auto wah quite a bit and it’s dialed in the best I’ve had it yet. The tone I’m going for is like Mayer uses with Dead and Company. He uses a Q Tron. I was actually thinking a mix would be good to have, but the wah block doesn’t have it. Importing the FM9 preset into the FM3 scrambled everything. Just a jumble of blocks with no connections, so I can’t see how you had it hooked up. I have not used a mix block yet and not familiar with it. So I’ll check it out. Thanks man.

Disregard I looked at your preset again and I see the mix hooked up. I learn new stuff every time I use this best guitar toy ever.

Having a good day today, sitting on the couch and playing through phones. I was using the auto wah quite a bit and it’s dialed in the best I’ve had it yet. The tone I’m going for is like Mayer uses with Dead and Company. He uses a Q Tron. I was actually thinking a mix would be good to have, but the wah block doesn’t have it. Importing the FM9 preset into the FM3 scrambled everything. Just a jumble of blocks with no connections, so I can’t see how you had it hooked up. I have not used a mix block yet and not familiar with it. So I’ll check it out. Thanks man.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 7.33.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 7.33.40 PM.png
    218.6 KB · Views: 15
Have you tried adjusting the Envelope controller itself?
ya i have, still cant get it right like i have my ax8.
im looking for that Qtron sound too, can you share the block or preset? im even using it with a poor mans PRS Super Eagle. i have Special 22 hollow

Daaaang you can put in a lot of stuff on the FM9. Might have to consider an upgrade when they’re readily available. Yeah the mix is a great addition to the wah. Sounds better with some dry mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom