FM9 2.01B Reporting *HUGE* CPU Drops .... hopefully coming to the FM3 ...... ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all !

I quick perusal of the FM9 2.01B forum shows several users reporting HUGE CPU % usage drops ........ hopefully we see this in the next FM3 FW ? šŸ¤ž:)

Ben

Last edited:
Thatā€™s promising. I sort of had the feeling if the CPU increase was going to be permanent it would have been addressed in greater detail.

How huge we talkin? Cause so far, every new FW increases CPU usage, so that'd be nice to have it somewhere back at least where it used to be lol.

FM9 has a very different processing architecture so donā€™t get too crazy with the cheese wiz.
Thatā€™s what I am thinking too. A lot more horsepower under the hood in the 9 and this is only the first major update and is still in Beta. But then, never take your eye off the ball with Fractal. We shall see. šŸ˜‰

FM9 has a very different processing architecture so donā€™t get too crazy with the cheese wiz.
Iā€™m not sure if ā€œvery differentā€ is the appropriate way to look at it. Itā€™s not so much different as it is ā€œmoreā€ of the same. I agree that could be an aspect to consider, but I doubt it will discount it for the FM3. If it was just a matter of horsepower why was there an increase on the FM9 in the first place? Anyway, never had any cheese wiz at the ready to begin with.šŸ˜‰

I recall reading that it is different. For instance, if the FM3 has one processor dedicated to sharing Amp and Reverb, the FM9 has a processor dedicated to Reverb only. Or something like that.

I recall reading that it is different. For instance, if the FM3 has one processor dedicated to sharing Amp and Reverb, the FM9 has a processor dedicated to Reverb only. Or something like that.
The FM3 uses 1 dedicated core for Amp and Delay. The FM9 has dedicated cores for each of Amp, Reverb and Delay.

Those dedicated cores don't really count against CPU use.

So mostly they are the same in regards to what uses reported CPU... Except for the Reverb on the FM3.

How huge we talkin? Cause so far, every new FW increases CPU usage, so that'd be nice to have it somewhere back at least where it used to be lol.

My main FM9 preset went from 75% to 67%, ~11% difference. I was able to add the Pitch block back to it and it's back up to ~75%...it's like a 'free' block. Other users report varying rates but it does seem that there are CPU savings overall in the FM9 current beta.

The point is the processors are the same architecture. How the different processing jobs are distributed IMO still falls within the realm of ā€œmoreā€ instead of ā€œdifferentā€. Yes they dedicate reverb, but the question is whether that is what caused the CPU increase in the new F/W and the implementation of the CNFB algorithm. I have no problem accepting itā€™s splitting hairs and I have no idea (like just about everyone else) what is really the situation. I just donā€™t think there is any reason not to expect that the FM3 wonā€™t see improvement if indeed the FM9 has seen CPU usage improvements. Ultimately my comments were in response to the seeming certainty in which comments to the negative were made.

While I have only been a FAS customer and user for about a year I have seen the evidence to back what long time customers say about FASā€™s communication and dedication to making things right. The fact that there has been little to almost no discussion by FAS about the CPU increase with the latest Firmware since CFNB makes me lean more to thinking that the developers are confident it will be improved. The improvement may not be as large as the FM9. 1 or 2 percent will be helpful, more even better.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd love it too. And yes FAS has a track record of providing improvements where possible. I'm just saying the FM9 just had the biggest update I've ever seen in my 8 years or whatever of fractal products. It took months to release.

And in my opinion it's more likely that the FM9 had FM9 specific improvements. Especially now that the FM3 got CNFB yesterday with minor changes to CPU (some up some down).

I remember playing this what if game with the AX8 years ago, and it's just wasted effort...FAS will do right, even if that means there's nothing to do.

Yeah I'd love it too. And yes FAS has a track record of providing improvements where possible. I'm just saying the FM9 just had the biggest update I've ever seen in my 8 years or whatever of fractal products. It took months to release.

And in my opinion it's more likely that the FM9 had FM9 specific improvements. Especially now that the FM3 got CNFB yesterday with minor changes to CPU (some up some down).

I remember playing this what if game with the AX8 years ago, and it's just wasted effort...FAS will do right, even if that means there's nothing to do.
I have to state that I wrote the previous comment before looking and realizing the official 5.02 F/W was released. LOL!! So yes, it was pretty much wasted effort. I will have to update tomorrow and see how it is.

No doubt there were specific things for the FM9 and I have to admit I sort of forgot long the wait the FM9 users had. It still seems itā€™s only a few months old when itā€™s been since last August. Before you know it will be a year.

This is counter to the conspiracy theory that Fractal is trying to slowly force everyone to buy a III though. :p
After over a year of my non-playing wife watching You Tube videos with me from G66, Leon Todd, etc. She says, "Why didn't you just get the III instead of the FM3. You play at your desk in your office and wouldn't it be better just to have that sitting beside you?"
I think FAS Conspiracy has got to my wife...and I like it!

After over a year of my non-playing wife watching You Tube videos with me from G66, Leon Todd, etc. She says, "Why didn't you just get the III instead of the FM3. You play at your desk in your office and wouldn't it be better just to have that sitting beside you?"
I think FAS Conspiracy has got to my wife...and I like it!
Your wife is wise! Tell her you need both Fm3 & III. :)

Back
Top Bottom