FM5 Turbo - unashamed clickbait ... please discuss!

I think the current lineup makes total sense and adding more SKU's for a while would probably be detrimental.
You've got the flagship Axe3, the baby FM3 for half price and several concessions and then you've got the fully loaded FM9. I would personally love a FM3 turbo for the form factor but FM9 DSP, but I can see why that's not feasible either. What they've got now makes business sense.

The irony I have is that I had the Axe2 for 10 years and it was always a pain to have around the computer cause I had no other rack gear. The FM3 was finally the thing that made more sense for me at a desk... as soon as I get the FM3 I bought a rack with some outboard gear, now I wish I'd gotten the Axe3 :D

Nope. It's not even worth wondering about.

"The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products. The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four. All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure. This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation."
Just let it go.

Nope. It's not even worth wondering about.

Just let it go.
Hi Greg

I hadn't seen that product line construct post before - that certainly clarifies the general approach!

It is very hard to get any of this stuff in Australia, so in the meantime we wish and dream ... :)

I am jealous that EU and USA waitlists are starting to progress - we dont even have pricing for FM9 here in Oz.

It is very hard to get any of this stuff in Australia, so in the meantime we wish and dream ... :)

I am jealous that EU and USA waitlists are starting to progress - we dont even have pricing for FM9 here in Oz.
When the inevitable Axe4 gets announced I'll plan a trip to the states to visit friends, going to be a smoother run than waiting for stock here :)

The economies of scale that allow FAS to make the FM3 / FM9 at their respective price points require that they borrow a bunch of tooling / hardware from the FC6 / FC12 and the Axe-FX III. An FM5 would necessitate a completely new enclosure and would likely be cost prohibitive especially considering how few people would choose it over the smaller FM3 or the more powerful FM9.

For me, if this existed, I’d still opt for an Fm3 turbo or not. Programming the switches can yield 6 virtual buttons. If they added a double tap option, you could get 9.

I’d be more interested if they offered a native version for daw, and use my fm3 live.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Back
Top Bottom