FM3's USB Type B Interface Issue - Again !

I received a USB Type B Male to Type A Female adapter today (below pic) and I will have it permanently connected to my FM3 although I will need to be careful when moving my FM3 around but it works a treat and I can use my high end Type A to Type A braided USB cable - Yay!, wasn't a waste of money after all lol. If its a case of the USB Type A port on the FM3 needing drivers written into the firmware then make it so people ;), let's start utilising it as its more robust than the Type B (at least the one on the FM3). TBH USB C and even USB 3 has been around a while now so a shame they did not utilise this tech within the FM3 and the AxeFX III for that matter. Maybe next time.

The Neural DSP Quad Cortex also has a USB 2.0 interface for Audio/Midi, beggars belief on a brand new device when you see £100 Audio interfaces with USB-C as standard. If you're going to bring out a new device, utilise the latest tech available to make you're product as efficient and robust as possible, after all they are dealing with guitarists as an end user base, need I say more :)

To put things into perspective, USB 2.0 was released in April 2000, over 20 years ago. Obviously we are not ready to move on just yet! :)

View attachment 77512
May not be an issue, but you solution is still going to put stress on the FM3's USB socket when connecting and disconnecting the type A plug. I chose the cable because it eliminates any stress on the socket.

I have to say that the OP is on to something. I just received my FM3 yesterday and the connector jack on the FM3 is not the best one I've seen. I used to build monitoring interface boards and sourced these parts, and this is the loosest one I've ever seen.

What's puzzling is that Fractal gear has a reputation as basically "bulletproof". So why would they source such a cheap part knowing that people utilize this port so often?

Cost. As an FYI, I tried SIX different cables, and ALL were loose, whereas my printer and M-Audio keyboard controller were both nice snug fits, the FM3 was very loose. One cable came from the US, one from Amazon.de, 3 from printers, etc., and 1 that G66 sent with the unit.

Cost. As an FYI, I tried SIX different cables, and ALL were loose, whereas my printer and M-Audio keyboard controller were both nice snug fits, the FM3 was very loose. One cable came from the US, one from Amazon.de, 3 from printers, etc., and 1 that G66 sent with the unit.

All I will say Bro is be very careful with that USB Type B port ! I am ultra careful now and that adapter I bought I think is not a solution either as there is a lot of movement when taking the cable in and out of it so worried I will end up damaging the port again.
As of yesterday my solution (on order) is a Temple Audio Duo 17 (just need enough pedalboard space for the FM3 and a little Dunlop Exp pedal, an angled USB cable (as suggested by our Admin :) ) and a USB Type A to Type A chassis mountable connector to fit on the pedalboard. Extra expense but it will save wear and tear on the USB port and make it easier to setup the FM3 and Exp Pedal too.
Just looked at Gearnews and Zoom have just brought out the G6 pedalboard, and look, it has a USB - C port on a budget conscious unit.

Those Temple Audio USB modules are a ripoff, about £40 for a USB type B to Type A chassis mount connector for the pedalboard, I got a type A to Type A connector with the same mountable casing to fit on the temple audio pedalboard for £4 from an online electronics supplier.

Yep, I did have the old user guide. Good that's been amended now :)

All I will say Bro is be very careful with that USB Type B port ! I am ultra careful now and that adapter I bought I think is not a solution either as there is a lot of movement when taking the cable in and out of it so worried I will end up damaging the port again.
As of yesterday my solution (on order) is a Temple Audio Duo 17 (just need enough pedalboard space for the FM3 and a little Dunlop Exp pedal, an angled USB cable (as suggested by our Admin :) ) and a USB Type A to Type A chassis mountable connector to fit on the pedalboard. Extra expense but it will save wear and tear on the USB port and make it easier to setup the FM3 and Exp Pedal too.
Just looked at Gearnews and Zoom have just brought out the G6 pedalboard, and look, it has a USB - C port on a budget conscious unit.

Those Temple Audio USB modules are a ripoff, about £40 for a USB type B to Type A chassis mount connector for the pedalboard, I got a type A to Type A connector with the same mountable casing to fit on the temple audio pedalboard for £4 from an online electronics supplier.

Yep, I did have the old user guide. Good that's been amended now :)
I fabricated a little support to go under the usb plug, and then zip-tied it down on my Temple board, I then put two additional zip-ties on the cable itself. It is now a permanent fixture :D. For gigs, I will just loop it under the board.

If you want to baby the USB port of any floor unit, a 90-degree cable, combined with some velcro to hold the USB cable to another cable (or to the handle of the FM3 maybe) might be a good idea.

This is exactly what I've done with mine and I'm pretty happy with the results. I've got everything on a Pedaltrain board so I have a 6" USB extension cord running under the XLRs/1/4" cables and that keeps it nice and secure and out of the way yet accessible.

I got bitten by the broken white insulator/pin holder bug last night. In spite of my being very careful, the white insulator that holds the USB B pins in place on my FM3 broke off and came out when I pulled the USB cable out. Now I have to be without my unit while I get it repaired. Out of warranty too. Bummer!

I got bitten by the broken white insulator/pin holder bug last night. In spite of my being very careful, the white insulator that holds the USB B pins in place on my FM3 broke off and came out when I pulled the USB cable out. Now I have to be without my unit while I get it repaired. Out of warranty too. Bummer!
Well, on the positive side, I got a very quick response from Fractal to my request for service. Very good instructions on how to package and return the FM3. 👍 I had to laugh though. I am sure it is a standard response. I was instructed to back up my custom data before shipping. I wish I could!! LOL

How difficult would it really be for Fractal to allow us to use the other USB port? Is there a technical reason it could’t be done?
Well, they’d be violating the USB spec, because a USB-A jack is only for a host, not a peripheral. But sure, they can ignore all that.

I purchased my FM3 back in July of 2021. Not sure when it was manufactured, but my USB B port is the loosest I have ever encountered on any computer device. I started using PC's in 1986 when I was in 8th grade.

I absolutely love the FM3. I have written more songs in the last few months than I have since I met my wife 19 years ago. By far the best creative tool for the money. I just cannot comprehend using such a loose and flimsy USB port? I guess I will have to purchase an adapter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom