FM3's USB Type B Interface Issue - Again !

JD Elliott

Inspired
When I first got my FM3 from G66.EU, I got the dreaded silver USB lead which removed the USB pin protector and thus I ended up unknowingly bending and destroying the pin on my first FM3. G66 swiftly replaced this device and gave me a decent USB lead to go with. All has been wonderful until yesterday when I went to plug in the USB and something was not right, the cable was really loose, I took a look and to my horror the USB Pin protector in the interface was missing yet again, I won't deny, I nearly cried like a pussy!! Luckily I realised the pins were not bent this time, I looked everywhere for the pin protector but could not find it. So I found an old USB hub I had and tried to remove the pin protector, I could not remove this with pliers, I had to near destroy the USB hub to get the pin protector out but managed to do so with it in tact and fitted nicely to my FM3 and all was working again - Phew!

What I want to know is, why does this pin protector keep coming out? I have been very careful removing the USB lead from my FM3 and on other devices such as my cheap little Zoom G3, I could not even remove this with pliers and with force. My only conclusion is there is a batch of FM3's (maybe the first wave of them as I have one without a headphone socket) which IMO I think have defective USB type B sockets. In the grand scheme of things, if this was to go again and the pins bent up then I could still update the device via a MIDI to USB interface which are pretty cheap and get a dedicated USB -C Audio interface and plug the FM3 into it via SPDIF but this is additional expense and not ideal seeing as the FM3 has such a great audio capabilities for recording and not being able to utilise that would be a bitter pill to swallow. I've now ordered a female type A to male type b adapter which I plan to permanently leave connected to the FM3 so I don't have to keep unplugging the USB lead all the time and risk damage, although the pin protector I have put on seems pretty sturdy. Anybody got any other suggestions to prevent breakage of this some what delicate USB interface. Is there scope for a future firmware update to utilise the type A interface on the FM3 to use for USB Midi and Audio rather than the type B interface as this is a lot more robust.

Really hate to post stuff like this as the FM3 for me is a dream come true for my guitar tones and my love for the Fractal Team goes deep ;)

My computer buddy told me that any sideways or up/down can snap that off. Are you possibly wiggling it as you remove/insert?
No, not really, the cable when connected is quite loose anyway and I am also a computer guy too, been an IT professional for over 30 years and never experienced this on a USB device before. With my old zoom as mentioned, I tried to take off this protector with long nosed pilers and physically could not.

I had the same problem with my first FM3. I sent it in and it was repaired. In order to keep the jack from moving I use a 1 foot USB extender.

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 1 ft Panel Mount USB Cable B to B - F/M - USB Type B (F) to USB Type B (M) - USB 2.0 - Molded Hood - Black (USBPNLBFBM1): Electronics

I secured the cable to my pedalboard and plug into it.
Oooh, thanks Bro, I like the look of that ! If I get a pedalboard to put my FM3 on, I could stick one of those one. Or get one of those Temple Audio Duo 17 pedalboards, I think you can get USB I/O's for those too.

I believe the USB-B is a flawed design from the start for use with devices that get moved around....in recent times Ive had to send back my FM3 , a MOOG Matriarch, and a Linnstrument for replacement!

How difficult would it really be for Fractal to allow us to use the other USB port? Is there a technical reason it could’t be done?

Yes, there is a technical reason - according to the Axe FX Wiki, the FM-3 software does not currently contain drivers for the USB-A port.

"The USB-A connector is for a FLASH drive to import/ export presets. However it’s currently not working yet." source

“The USB-A port can be whatever we want but it requires writing drivers (or buying them and hooking them into the OS). If the demand is great enough we can look into these things. Peripheral drivers are a lot easier than host drivers and USB-A is host.” source

"The USB-A port can provide power if enabled. At this point the port is disabled and reserved for future expansion." source

"The USB A port is NOT designed to be connected to a computer. It is reserved for future expansion." (..) "We also looked into the ramifications of doing this and it WON'T damage anything. It just won't work."source

I received a USB Type B Male to Type A Female adapter today (below pic) and I will have it permanently connected to my FM3 although I will need to be careful when moving my FM3 around but it works a treat and I can use my high end Type A to Type A braided USB cable - Yay!, wasn't a waste of money after all lol. If its a case of the USB Type A port on the FM3 needing drivers written into the firmware then make it so people ;), let's start utilising it as its more robust than the Type B (at least the one on the FM3). TBH USB C and even USB 3 has been around a while now so a shame they did not utilise this tech within the FM3 and the AxeFX III for that matter. Maybe next time.

The Neural DSP Quad Cortex also has a USB 2.0 interface for Audio/Midi, beggars belief on a brand new device when you see £100 Audio interfaces with USB-C as standard. If you're going to bring out a new device, utilise the latest tech available to make you're product as efficient and robust as possible, after all they are dealing with guitarists as an end user base, need I say more :)

To put things into perspective, USB 2.0 was released in April 2000, over 20 years ago. Obviously we are not ready to move on just yet! :)

USB_adapter.jpg

And another reason: it would violate the USB standard. The USB A connector is for USB hosts. The FM3 is designed to connect to a USB host, not to be one.
That's not what the FM3 manual says, in fact it illustrates connectivity from the Type A to the computer. Misprint maybe but none less it's there.
But saying that I do agree with you.

That's not what the FM3 manual says, in fact it illustrates connectivity from the Type A to the computer. Misprint maybe but none less it's there.
But saying that I do agree with you.
You may have an older version of the manual as I corrected that. Here is a screen capture from the live manual on the server:
1611156111420.png

I also added this in two places:

1611156074360.png

If I missed something let me know?

Back
Top Bottom