FM3 with studio monitors

Hello guys, kind of embarrassing to ask this but I’ve never had proper studio monitors.

I’m considering the Presonus 4.5 and notice there’s 2 inputs (Trs) on the main speaker. My plan is to use the monitors to play with the fm3 but also to playback from my laptop when recording.

I usually go mono Out of the fm3 but for mixing on the pc it would be cool to have stereo. I don’t have an interface and use the fm3 for that.

How would I connect the fm3 to the monitors?

If you can afford them I would get something like a pair of Yamaha HS7/HS8s. I connect mine to OUT1 L and R with XLR cables.

Just got the Focal Alpha 50 5 inch monitors. They were sounding good but I read here in the forums that pairing your amp selection with the right IR will make all the difference in the world. I tried Leon’s TV Mix 2 IR cab and a couple of Fractal IR cabs and the monitors sound great. Took a while for me to figure it out but better late than never I guess.

Just got the Focal Alpha 50 5 inch monitors. They were sounding good but I read here in the forums that pairing your amp selection with the right IR will make all the difference in the world. I tried Leon’s TV Mix 2 IR cab and a couple of Fractal IR cabs and the monitors sound great. Took a while for me to figure it out but better late than never I guess.

I've had these monitors for years. They are great and work well with the FM3.

Focal make a great set of monitors! Nicely done!
I have the Alpha 65s and as soon as I got them a couple of years back I could immediately hear things I wasn't hearing before with my previous monitors. Just fantastic!

Well no one has mentioned the Tannoy Golds 7 or 8s but have listened to many vs type demos incl the Tannoy Gold 8 vs Yamana HS8s. Feel that the Tannoy's produce a more balanced sound but still have some articulation. The Yamaha is not bad but still have a mid to high accentuation that has always been a trait of Yamaha monitors going all the way back to the NS-10s. Not sure how Tannoys would fair in a modeler situation but I would be using in some cases backing tracks via the FM3 USB port or going direct to the Aux if available on the active speaker etc. This would be for home use only. In any case, still thinking the Tannoy Golds would be a good option at their price point vs the Adams or Yamahas. Anyone else consider the Tannoy's?

I have the HS8s and they are great. Also the the JBL 305p are good as well. A little more mid rangy since they are 5in, but they are nice. I just spread the JBL's wider and they sound very full. Either are a good choice.

I have the HS8s and they are great. Also the the JBL 305p are good as well. A little more mid rangy since they are 5in, but they are nice. I just spread the JBL's wider and they sound very full. Either are a good choice.
Thanks for the info but really looking at getting comments on the Tannoy's if there are any. Not sure why they are not noticed much on this forum but listening to music demo's they sound good and get fairly decent comments vs the other speaker. I like the fact that some control of the sound is on the front side of the speaker. Still the HS8s seem to get more attention.

+1 for Yamaha HS7.

I had the HS5 and they are definitely not at the same level, don’t waste your money with them. 7 or 8 are the way to go.

Thanks for the info but really looking at getting comments on the Tannoy's if there are any. Not sure why they are not noticed much on this forum but listening to music demo's they sound good and get fairly decent comments vs the other speaker. I like the fact that some control of the sound is on the front side of the speaker. Still the HS8s seem to get more attention.
The Tannoys are good, to my ears and $$ the HS8s are really a great value.

Back
Top Bottom